About to buy a 22" lcd...

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
I've researched this a bit and it seems they all use the same TN panal (6bit+ hi FRC, with the only diffs being that one is alot brighter and subtle differences in color and backlight bleed.
the 22" size does sound attrative given the price but I think the backlight bleed might get a bit annoying, but maybe turning down the brightness would help??

Oh and I would buy a crt but they're too big for 22" viewable and price isnt much better I dont think.
Oh and I'm coming from a 17" sony trinitron, good besides the rather crap geometry, its a hand me down... heh.
I looked at some 24" lcds but the prices scare me.. 700 bucks compared to 300-400 for 2 more inches, albeit with better panals.

The lcd I'm looking is the CHIMEI 221D, for $321 shipped from the 'egg.

edit- guess it should be moved to displays :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
You constantly talk about how much LCDs suck and you're about to buy one of the lowest quality ones you can get? Funny.

I hope you: Always look dead on, do not expect much from the blacks, sit back a little bit, and are aware that the colors are nothing to write home about.

They are big though!

You constantly talk about how much LCDs suck and you're about to buy one of the lowest quality ones you can get? Funny.

Yeah I was going to comment (back when the choice was some Acer panel for $341-something shipped from the 'egg) but was kind of lost for words. 6-bit? Huh?

I presumed it was some sort of Xmas-festive-season communal LOL-egg.

On the otherhand there's been some posting weirdness going on over this board for the past few days, wouldn't surprise me if a couple of folks had had their accounts hacked.

I hope you: Always look dead on, do not expect much from the blacks, sit back a little bit, and are aware that the colors are nothing to write home about.

They are big though!
Well all the 22" ones suck.. they all use the same TN panal ;)
24 inch are nice but if I'm gonna spend 800 on a 24" I might as just get the westinghouse 37" ;)

Oh and I rarely post here anymore so it's quite wrong to state that I always talk shit about lcds.
The blacks on my trinitron aren't really that great anyway and the geometry sucks.
I'm not even sure if my trinitron will have better quality than a TN panal lcd.
With the hi FRC dithering the quality isn't that bad, check a review of an Acer which uses the same panal..
http://www.behardware.com/articles/638-1/22-the-new-size-that-will-take-over.html
Not as good as the 20" and 24" panals but why do I need dead accurate colors anyway?
I dont do any photo editing and I think I might be able to tweak the RGB values on it to get it a bit better, I know on the Acer you can...

I'd go ahead and try it out anyway. Newegg is a extremely easy company to work with in case you're disappointed, so I doubt it'd hurt to try it out.

I'd go ahead and try it out anyway. Newegg is a extremely easy company to work with in case you're disappointed, so I doubt it'd hurt to try it out.
Ya I'm mainly worried about backlight bleeding, as I found that pretty annoying on the Dell fp2001.
It's always good to try things and the saying goes dont bash it untill ya tried it.. so I could get some first hand experience with a rather modest (price wise) lcd and perhaps it will impress me enough to save up for the 24" which are way better.
Right now I also think my crt is sorta blocking the sound from my pc speakers since the lame cabling isn't long enough for me to pull to the front so it's quite possible with the speakers in the back (to the side of course) that the speakers are reflecting and stuff off the crts and generally messing with my sound:neutral:
edit: here's a review of the exact model http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRID=3022
In our DisplayMate technical tests there was a minor pixel jitter on one of the fine timing lock tests (which shouldn’t happen with a DVI connection). Colour combinations were all fine and we could distinguish a decent 253 out of 255 shades of light-grey. However, our dark grey squares turned black a trifle too early meaning some detail could be lost in shadows. Our 256-intensity colour ramp sorts good LCDs from bad and Chimei’s was one of the best we’ve seen - very little banding across white, red, green and blue ramps, though they did bottom out early in the darker shades. It passed our tricky colour spectrum blending test with aplomb.
Wonder about the jitter???

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe.. Im going to buy a geforce 8800gts instead and get the monitor in a few weeks :LOL:

Back