Got me Dell 228WFP (22") today

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
Watched a few movies on it and some HD trailers.
I dont find it being a 6 bit panal much of a problem.. can't see any banding.
it's only problem that bugs me infact is the blacks, and I'm using some "calibrated" settings btw, no eye bleeding brightness setting, but it seems to not only be bad at producing a good black it also crushs them, losing shadow detail
Bit of blacklight bleedin at the top and bottom but doesnt matter for movies since theres the black bars right there.
If the blacks were more like my trinitron and it has a better viewing angle I'd give it a 8 or 9 out of 10 for multimedia use.
As it is it's like mid 6 of 7 out of 10, but I'm not about to go back to my little 16" viewable crt.
SDE isn't too bad at all either.
Based on this if future lcd can produce near CRT blacks for a good price I'll interested in them, I won't buy another LCD that crushs blacks....
Guess I'll be waiting for the LED backlit ones to get cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you get it for a good price?

I'm also waiting. I saw some insane deals a month ago, like a 21" for under $200, but anytime I see an LCD with low lighting I'm glad I didn't jump in. Even the high end LCDs just aren't there yet. Great for office work, but not for movies.

Well dell has the 10% off all electronics deal going so it was 296+ tax.
edit. watched some more videos, black crush is definally this monitors weakness.

I love my 2007WFP and I don't think I have near the same issues as you mention. Still, black level on LCD = not the greatest. It's certainly better on this panel than a few older panels I've seen though, and after calibration it looks pretty damned decent in even a dimly-lit room. I really only notice the complete and utter lack of "true black" if I've got the lights off.

I love contrast on my apps, and as such, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this panel. I also love the brazillion cubic yards of desk space I seemingly got back after replacing my 8-year old 21" CRT :D

I've been considering the 22" Dell, but LG just released a second generation 22" that looks fairly improved over the old panels, though it is $100 more expensive...

I think most of the reason I went with the 2007 (other than the good reviews) was the UBER-cheap price with all those Dell coupons and some free financing for six months on my Dell Preferred Account :D

I think most of the reason I went with the 2007 (other than the good reviews) was the UBER-cheap price with all those Dell coupons and some free financing for six months on my Dell Preferred Account :D

Which is exactly why this is so hard. Really I think I'll just go with the Dell, its just so much cheaper and from reading the LG really does not offer anything worth over $100 more in quality, maybe $20 more.

I love my 2007WFP and I don't think I have near the same issues as you mention. Still, black level on LCD = not the greatest. It's certainly better on this panel than a few older panels I've seen though, and after calibration it looks pretty damned decent in even a dimly-lit room. I really only notice the complete and utter lack of "true black" if I've got the lights off.

I love contrast on my apps, and as such, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this panel. I also love the brazillion cubic yards of desk space I seemingly got back after replacing my 8-year old 21" CRT :D
So while yours doesn't give a good deep black there isn't alot of black crush going on when watching movies?

I've honestly only watched two movies with this display, but I was unable to detect any noticeable amount of black crush. Keep in mind that, I believe, the difference between your model and mine is the 8-bit panel vs your 6-bit panel. I'm not sure if that figured into the equation, but it might...

Also, are you able to turn off the "image processing" functions on your display? My Dell E197FP at the office can't have image processing disabled, and I wonder if that might also be part of it. The 200x models can have the image processing turned off (gaming / video / desktop / whatever modes)

I've honestly only watched two movies with this display, but I was unable to detect any noticeable amount of black crush. Keep in mind that, I believe, the difference between your model and mine is the 8-bit panel vs your 6-bit panel. I'm not sure if that figured into the equation, but it might...

Also, are you able to turn off the "image processing" functions on your display? My Dell E197FP at the office can't have image processing disabled, and I wonder if that might also be part of it. The 200x models can have the image processing turned off (gaming / video / desktop / whatever modes)
Well I ran a few tests and only problems I could see with brightness/contrast tests is blooming of whites above 253 RBG, shows all the black levels fine.
There is a bit of gradation, but that's supposed to be ok, whats bad is when theres banding, where two or more colors show as the same.

The new LG and NEC displays also have a dynamic backlight, which is one of their main selling points. It won't help with ANSI contrast, but should dramatically improve blacklevels in low light scenes. Granted they cost $380-400, so you pay a premium to get them versus the dell and other 22" displays.

I may pick one of these up if I decide not to persue one of the 24" screens. Also, samsung has apparently claimed that by 2008 they're entire line will be LED based. I'm not sure I believe it, but they have apparently already released a rather nice 20" LED backed LCD that can display 114% NTSC color gamut. It retails for $2k, and supposedly can be found on the street for $1.2k, though I haven't seen it for sale anywhere. It includes a calibration tool and black velvet hood, so perhaps a lower end model will be forthcoming at a cheaper price.

Pretty exciting times.

Nite_Hawk

Thanks for the review. I just can't decide between a 22 inch or a del fwp2007. If dell only made ips 2007 I would get that but right now it is luck of the draw. I use a tn panels at work and they don't bother me so I am thinking of just waiting till any of the 22 inch go on sale since they are pretty much the same. I really would love to have a 2007 damn dell and there lottery system. It is to bad that the 2007 is the only affordable ips panel there is. The 24 inch are 600+ just way to much add to that the res goes up to full 1080p I would need a bigger video card than the 1900gt I just got cheap. Add the the fact the 24 inch are not ips pannels. I just have no clue what do do.

Back