about the anti-aliasing

vrmm

Newcomer
AA is important for 3d graphics. Can someone tell me some info. about it?
I want to do some researches about it especially some new algorithm for moblie graphics.

You can start with the handful of articles in B3D's "Articles" section. Kristoff and Dave wrote a paper analyzing AA for 3dfx, IIRC, but I can't remember if it's the same as their article here ("SSAA Analyzed").

I'm sure a Google search will turn up more, especially on the more currently relevant multi-sampling AA method.

It is also a good paper for me. Thanks a lot! :D

I think aa for mobile graphics is also important. I want to do some in this filed. Who can give me some suggestions ? Thanks a lot.

Well AA for mobile parts should be a real possibility now that ATi & nVidia have just released some seriously powerful kicking laptop viddy cards. :)

It is amazing to think that I just bought this eMachine 6805 with a radeon 9600 in it and now there are laptops with x800s and 6800u's in them. Now if eMachine/Gateway will just throw one of these new mobile gpu beasts into a similar laptop to the 6805, then life would be grand.

vrmm said:
It is also a good paper for me. Thanks a lot! :D

I think aa for mobile graphics is also important. I want to do some in this filed. Who can give me some suggestions ? Thanks a lot.

With mobile graphics you mean notebooks/laptops or not? If yes the algorithms are the same as in the PC desktop space. Should you mean though the PDA/mobile market, it's an entire chapter of it's own, since chips are quite small there.

With mobile graphics you mean notebooks/laptops or not? If yes the algorithms are the same as in the PC desktop space. Should you mean though the PDA/mobile market, it's an entire chapter of it's own, since chips are quite small there.

What I mean of the mobile graphcs is for the PDA/mobile devices. I have read some paper for it. Also, we have seen a good paper in siggraph 2003. It introduces a new multisample algorithm suitable for mobile devices.
could someone give some suggestions about it for me? I am eager to learn more about it. What's more, I think this is a hot and good research orientation now.

Thanks a lot!

vrmm said:
I want to do some researches about it especially some new algorithm for moblie graphics.
There are some interesting new proposals for AA sampling patterns (primarily for mobile devices) from Tomas Akenine-Moller and Jacob Strom. They're also kind enough to mention MBX :)

I want to see a multisample version of Quincunx but without the centre sample to see how effect it would be or not. I.E. W+1,H+1 sub samples.

bloodbob said:
I want to see a multisample version of Quincunx but without the centre sample to see how effect it would be or not. I.E. W+1,H+1 sub samples.
I think it would look pretty ugly. Worse than Flipquad for sure.

There are some interesting new proposals for AA sampling patterns (primarily for mobile devices) from Tomas Akenine-Moller and Jacob Strom. They're also kind enough to mention MBX

Thank you ! This paper is very good . Now , I want to make some modifications for its mutlisample algorithm. But I have not good ideas, who can give me some suggestions if you have read this paper.

:D

Simon F said:
vrmm said:
There are some interesting new proposals for AA sampling patterns (primarily for mobile devices) from Tomas Akenine-Moller and Jacob Strom. They're also kind enough to mention MBX :)

LOL

Also, we incorrectly state that the MBX architecture is a scaled-down version of the Kyro architecture. We are sorry for this. [This was kindly pointed out by Simon Fenney at Imagination Technologies]

Algorithms like FLIPQUAD would be great IMHO, if they could be combined with a fast adaptive AF algorithm (even if it's just 2x samples). If I'd have the dilemma between "edge-" and "texture-AA", I'd definitely pick the latter. Blurry textures are more annoying to my eye, than polygon edge aliasing.

Back