About splitscreen rendering

AlNom

Legend
Just a question that's been idling in my mind and I'd like to get a definitive answer (if possible).

Do developers typically render each of the players' screens at full resolution as the single player and just split-up how much space is taken on the screen (besides reducing other graphical effects)? Do they differentiate between rendered resolution and the view angle/aspect ratio ala Doom 3 in this case?

Not an answer to your question, but related. Wouldn't Xbox 360 games get the best performance from rendering 2 player splits screen in their own tile. The added benefit would be taking advantage of the extra AA associated with tilling.

from games i've played i'd say that they aren't rendering at full resolution for splitscreen. but i would guess it depends on the game and the system.

no u will render only into the half screen (twice) so effectivly the same number of pixels
split screen is more expensive to do that one screen
eg u have double the number of object vs frustum intersection tests which takes cpu, also (depending on the game viewpoint) but say its a straight shrink u will have 1->2 x the number of visable objects thus more objects will have to be animated / tranformed etc
( a possible slight benifit would be a smaller texture onscreen resulting in smaller mipmap levels being accessed )

Back