About 40 new planets discovered around our Sun!

Yes, but as Chalnoth said, we can look at their composition as well. And it would (IMHO) be a sounder definition, based on scientific reasoning.

Although I do get your point as well: you don't want a model, you want a strict definition that is easy to verify.

Who has a better definition of what makes something a planet?

Btw, at the rate we discover new "Plutonian planets", the list would roughly double each year. So the only thing this new definition establishes is, that we have nine classical planets or eight real ones and lots of new ones. So, the definition changes from "planet" to "classical planet" or "real planet", and in the schoolbooks will appear something like:

"We have very many orbital bodies that are officially classified as planets in our solar system, nine of which are classically called that. Eight of those are real planets. Some others are asteroid belt planetoids, while everything else is called a Plutonoid, after Pluto, the ninth classical planet."

Edit: the upside of the new definition is, that just about any astronomer can discover and name his or her own planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that. How many people honestly care if Pluto is a planet it or not? If your job involves the planets, maybe you'd care. Other than that the 3rd graders who care would celebrate because they'd have one less planet to memorize.

I think it'd make much bigger press with adding planets than subtracting one.
After reading a lot more about it, the decision is (as suspected) mainly motivated by three things:

1. Whatever the decision is, it HAS TO include Pluto, as otherwise we will receive any amount of hate mail and suffer many other unpleasant things.

2. As we need some scientific basis, we cannot simply state that we declare the current ones planets and leave it at that.

3. There is so much disagreement about what makes something into a planet (except for the one posted above, which isn't simple enough), that the best way to get a consensus is to make the definition as broad as possible, because all the voting astrophysicists want to make their stamp on history by discovering and naming their own planet.

Although with more than a hundred planets, probably not many people will care who discovered and named which one. ;)

And as they made Pluto head of it's own subspecies, nobody is angry, we can disregard planetoids and Plutonians in a few years time as real planets, be back with the eight real ones and make everyone happy.

The only thing this doesn't do is actually give a good definition of what makes something into a planet.

Edit: nice linky of a flyby of all the new planets.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this is just a crazy form of political correctness. Those are getting planet status because they're about as big as Pluto. IMO even Pluto shouldn't be declared a planet, but what do I know...

You know you're getting old when...

...You went to school being told there were only 9 planets, and now there are 12 to 40.......

All this is just a crazy form of political correctness. Those are getting planet status because they're about as big as Pluto. IMO even Pluto shouldn't be declared a planet, but what do I know...

Well, that's the case with all abstract definitions. Some objects apply and some not.

Yeah, but this time they're tailoring the definitions to suit the objects, which is just plain dumb IMO.

Back