Aaaah! No power till November 22

WhiningKhan said:
Yeah, the gnomes have large cat farms where they rub the cats with their sweaters. Their sweaters are connected to the power grid.

That's old technology. In the new ones they strap a piece of buttered toast to the back of the cat and then drop the cat from a height. The resulting spin generates huge amounts of power.

Dizzy, what you are saying is well astonishing! They have the audecity (sp?) to say that there will be no power for a month. They must be fired immedietely. What is the reason for this blackout? Does repairing wires take so long, that too in the land of America? They could build a goddamn powerplant in a month. This kind of thing would be unimaginable in India, there would be street protests if power goes for even few hours.

So have you guys thought something about this? Shouldn't the local government functionery be responsible for this?

Deepak:

It is a complicated issue, the southern half of Florida was affected by hurricane wilma. There are trees that are blocking roads and power polls. I admit that this would be the longest I have ever seen them take to restore power after hurricane but I also know that they count on other states to lend a hand when a hurricane hits. Unfortunately, Louisiana, and Mississippi were also hit by a devastating hurricane weeks before we got hit. I believe that there is a shortage of people to fix the system, as it stands there are over 6,000 people trying to restore power right now. They first restore power to hospitals, law enforcement and vital government agencies. Then power is restored to main streets and roads and surrounding businesses low man on the totem poll is the residents.

There are quite a number of people that have electricity I am just not one of them. The temperature hasn't been bad so everyone is ok with it. If this was the middle of summer then me and my dog would be dying.

Dizzy said:
I believe that there is a shortage of people to fix the system, as it stands there are over 6,000 people trying to restore power right now.

But shouldn't the local admin call people from outside. I am amazed.

BTW, I hope your FAH output doesn't suffer. ;)

Deepak:

I think they have called for additional help I just don't think there is more help to be had. The good thing is they have restored power to 57% of the county as of this morning unfortunately none of them are my relatives. My brother who had power lost it 2 days ago and hasn't gotten it back. The rumor is almost everyone will get power by Sunday.

I had a good laugh with your FAH comment. It is taking a little bit of a hit. My main 2 computers I use for FAH are at work and they have power. I had to take one of them offline because they needed the network connection for people that are there from our other office that doesn't have power. I should have both up by tuesday. But when power is restored to my house I will have my new AMD 64x2 4400, running and that should get me going. I am planing of having 5 machines folding by the end of November.

Simon F said:
That's old technology. In the new ones they strap a piece of buttered toast to the back of the cat and then drop the cat from a height. The resulting spin generates huge amounts of power.
Took me a moment to figure that one out. Well worth it tho, damn. I award you both a roflcopter and a set of lollerskates. :)

london-boy said:
Well maybe they can only build them cheap because by the time they're half way done, another hurricane comes and they have to start from the beginning!

This reminds me of a long causeway we saw in Iceland. Took some nice pictures next to the old one, which is GIANT chunks of twisted steel sitting alongside the road where God flung it. It's quite a long causeway, only one lane with turn outs every quarter mile or so for cars coming in opposite directions to get past each other.

There is a giant sign next to the debris of the old one, and when you get out to read it you "get" the fatalism of the Icelanders re nature. They've got a sort of stubborn Pompeii thing going. The sign explains that the list time this particular glacier let go with a giant melt all-at-once they had very little warning, and certainly dick-all they could do about it. I'm going to get the numbers wrong, but it was something like "we were expecting maybe 20,000 cubic feet per second of water, and we got 50,000 cubic feet per second. We built the new one to withstand 30,000 cubic feet per second. There aren't very many of us, and these damn things are pretty expensive." (or words to that effect).

Geo: That was great. Sometimes you can only do what you can afford.

Well the news is that my area should have power no later than November 15, I hope that it will be sooner but that is the worst case scenario. My brother who lost power a couple of days ago got it back today, my brother lives a block from my house. I still have hope that I will get the power back this weekend.

I was visiting one of my aunts today, and mentioned your plight in Florida, and the comments about why don't y'all put it underground? This is a woman who spent a thirty year career in California local government doing code enforcement, infrastructure grants, etc. She got quite a laugh out of the story (and an even bigger one over Minnesota sliding-glass doors in homes overhanging ten foot drops, but that's another story).

What she said was that in California --where nary a tornado or hurricane is wont to visit (with rare exceptions), but the earth has been known with some regularity to take it into its head to go on walkabout-- they put utilities underground with great regularity and even some insistence. So, in Florida where it makes emminent sense, they don't do it --and in California where it doesn't, they do.

One might consider if what is really going on is a maximum jobs policy. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you people not reading what he said? They do put new cables underground, as they do most places. But what he said was that in older neighbor hoods the lines are above ground, and money the way it is, is not there or not being put to this use, to put or relay lines underground. Dont see how this is such a hard concept.

Got Home and I have Electricity. WOW!!!!

My next door neighbor doesn't have any but I do. I feel great.

Dizzy said:
Got Home and I have Electricity. WOW!!!!

My next door neighbor doesn't have any but I do. I feel great.

Congrats! Man. Must be feeling like born again. ;)

So I'm guessing the hotel son south beach are all good and as they should be? In 6 days I'll be at the Best Western for 2 weeks :D

Dizzy,

I feel your pain. I live on the border of Tamrac and Coral Springs here in Broward County in Florida. We JUST got power back last night. We had the same Nov 15 date you did. We had 5 lines down near our block. However the people accross the streets on all sides had their power back a few days ago. Nothing suck more then to have the only light in you place to be the street lights from next door. For 5 days they teased us with that...those BASTARDS. I figured we may loose power so I made sure we used up most of the food from the fridge before the storm hit. And just enjoyed cold soup and warm water for the last 8 days. But last night on the way home there was at least 18 trucks working on one area were we had the lines down. It was pretty amazing site as when they show up to restore power they come in a BIG way :) They had folks from Alabama and a few other trucks (could not see their logos that well) working on our lines. Glad to hear you have power as well!!

Deepak,
As of today, FPL has over 18,000 contractors from 33 state's and canada's power companies working to restore the power. That does not include all of the FPL normal employees or other contract workers they have. The have set up 19 different stanging areas to handle all of this extra help. There are still some 760,000 people with out power and they are working night and day to restore. We hear stories how power being restored at all time of the day.

The storm was massive. There damage it did was spread over 22,000 sq miles. FPL had lost over 250 of its substatsion. And one of the main power generating plants was also very damaged. Thats not even taking into consideration how many of its main feeder lines were damaged. Before they could restore power to most of the peoples homes they had to fix this damage. Also keep in mind that right after the storm hit you had over 3.2 million people with out power. And that most of the roads were block with debries. FPL knew the storm was going to be bad so they had about 5,000 of these people staged in Orlando before the store hit. They just did not realize HOW bad it would have been. Also for the first day or two that extra help had to deal with the same issues that we did...meaning they had to sleep in their trucks, had no food/water, no gas..ect A lot of people had power back with in 5 days (I think the number was almost 2 million restored with power). The final stage is when they have to go out and string up all lines and fix the pole damage. This is the slowest and hardest part to do. Most of the poles/lines broke when trees fell on them. So you have to clear off that before you can start to re-string the lines. Finally we are not talking just a few lines...we are talking thousands spread over.... They also have updated those esimates and are saying by nov 13 every one should have power back.

So no, given the amount of damage and the wide spread nature of it...I am very happy with what the did..even though I had no power for 8 days...

Hey jb. You live right near a buddy of mine. Southgate and Nob Hill. I'll have to call him tomorrow to see if his power came back. He had last told me the 15th like you said.

I've been without power for a week before and I'd take that any day over flooding.

3dcgi said:
Hey jb. You live right near a buddy of mine. Southgate and Nob Hill. I'll have to call him tomorrow to see if his power came back. He had last told me the 15th like you said.

Yeap I live at the appartments right next to that corner... :)

Staylor,
Most of South Beach is fine. Gas is plentiful again and today the day is beatiful at the Port of Miami.

As of this morning there is still 600,000 people without power. Actually I am extremely lucky I am the only one on my block that has power. This weekend I am breaking out a new chainsaw and having some major yard cleanup to do.

In the news today they are reporting that women have been offering sex to Electric company workers to have electricity restored to their homes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back