A giant wall of ice

Well, with our glaciers melting at record-breaking speed, I guess we just have to make our own to make up for the loss! :D

Thanks for the link, I always appreciate when people try the unexpected...

I've always thought about this: If you pee outside, in those kind of tempreatures, does you pee kinda get frozen in mid air and then u can imagine the rest of what i'm trying to say?

london-boy said:
I've always thought about this: If you pee outside, in those kind of tempreatures, does you pee kinda get frozen in mid air and then u can imagine the rest of what i'm trying to say?

yes, that'd happen: at that temp below 0 even if you throw boiling water straight out of a pot, it'll freeze in mid-air.

Crisidelm said:
london-boy said:

yes, that'd happen: at that temp below 0 even if you throw boiling water straight out of a pot, it'll freeze in mid-air.

I don't think that at any temp below 0 it would freeze in mid air, i think it needs to be much colder than just 0. But well, i'd love to try.

I think even at that temp, there's not enough thermal cold mass to freeze boiling water on its way down.

Pee is different because its cooler, plus it turns into droplets on the way down (more surface area).

se_rag said:
The pee myth was tested on Mythbusters...at -65 or -70 and it did not freeze on the way down.

Strange: I've seen buckets of boiling water freeze when tossed in the air before hitting the ground with temp of -35°C (or lower, of course). When the water reached ground it was split in many little bubbles of ice.
Maybe, since pee is not pure water, things are different...

Crisidelm said:
se_rag said:
The pee myth was tested on Mythbusters...at -65 or -70 and it did not freeze on the way down.

Strange: I've seen buckets of boiling water freeze when tossed in the air before hitting the ground with temp of -35°C (or lower, of course). When the water reached ground it was split in many little bubbles of ice.

was the water poured out of the pot, or thrown up in the air(above person's head)??
If it is tossed up in the air, then yes it should freeze, but when you pee, it is only falling from approx. 3 or so feet, downwards...so it's only "exposed" to the cold for an extremely short period of time..not enough to freeze it

There's four main factors: delta-T, surface area, coolant flow, and time. You'd need strong wind to make water freeze in mid-air in seconds, even at those temperatures.
Water freezing on hitting the ground is another story, because of the much higher density of the ground compared to air.

Well for those of you out there who are decent readers any one remember "To Build a Fire"? The traveler in it said something to the effect of "at 50 degrees below, spit will freeze when it hits the ground, at 75 below spit will freeze in mid fall." He spit, and it froze in mid air with a "crack"! He knew he was in trouble then......

Saw a TV presenter/wildlife guy throw boiling water in Siberia above his head and it froze before it hit the ground. Pretty cool FX.

RussSchultz said:
http://www.alaskaalpineclub.org/IceWall/IceWall.html

In my home town Lycksele they have been doing a similar thing every winter for maybe 10 years now. They don't do a wall, but an ice pillar, and it reaches similar heights.

icepillar0.jpg

icepillar1.jpg

Funny thing, like 5 years ago or so it got a bit of a bad start and was leaning, and as it grow higher it actually fell over. As this thing is often considered a phallus symbol by some, it's a bit ironic that it fell on the international women's day. (Big story in the local press ;))

Crisidelm said:
se_rag said:

:oops: WTH?

I've experienced such temperatures every friggin' winter for all my life, peeing, drinking, spitting and also doing some slightly less vulgar things. Boiling water just can not freeze in that short a time, unless you spray it in fine droplets and let it fly a considerable distance.

And I've never even imagined that I create a modern sculpture by taking a leak - instead, that technique is well suited for carving coloured images on the snow-covered ground.

Back