a few new psp pics + post E3 developers comments

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
Quotes are taken from the article in the last month's issue of US OPM. Photos are from the pre-last month's issue of EDGE

What do I like most about the PSP?
---------------------------------------
Yannis Mallat: Producer, Ubisoft (Prince of Persia)
What I like the most is the immediate appeal it creates! When you see it, you want it. This is an amazing toy for adults, and I think Sony is just re-creating the walkman effect with this piece of hardware. You have to have it if you're cool. Now, the screen and it's huge resolution combined with the powerful capabilities of the machine altogether make it a real breakthrough in visuals and gaming experience for handheld consoles.
I would definitely see myself playing PoP game on PSP rather than a poor 2D platform game on any other handheld.

Yuji Naka, Director, Sonic Team, Sega:
The WiFi capabilities and the 16:9 aspect ratio are brilliant. You can play wireless online everywhere. Puyo Pop Fever, my first PSP game will be the first Puyo Pop Fever game to support online play on consoles or handhelds. It utilizes the Widescreen, so you'll be able to play with your friend face to face by holding one PSP from both sides.

Bob Stevenson, President, Planet Moon
After seeing and holding the PSP at E3, I had one of those rare moments in this industry when you say to yourself, "This is just really, really good; I must have one now!" It looks as sexy as an Ipod, the screen clarity is better than anyone expected, and the size of the unit and it's control placement feel just right.
The PSP is the first handheld that is technically strong enough for us to make the kinds of games we want to create without having to make huge compromises. From a production standpoint, we should be able to make one great game every year, or even two or three games with multiple teams, rather than having one gigantic team working on one concept for three years. It will keep us fresh creatively. Also, from a creative and technical standpoint, the PSP is better fit than Nintendo DS for the types of games that PlanetMoon builds.

Alex Ward, Creative Manager, Criterion
What do I like most about PSP? That I'll own one in a few months time! Frankly, I'm astonished by this hardware. Some of the Criterion engineers shot video of the machine at E3. All you can hear on this tape is them talking about how amazed they are by the screen quality. This video sent a wave of excitement through the Criterion office. It's certainly the most exciting machine since the arrival of the original PlayStation back in 1995.
We are going to make some great titles for this system. Image quality on the screen is near HD quality, so we think that's our favorite thing about PSP right now.

What are it's weaknesses-----------------------------
Yannis Mallat:
It's going to be easy to develop regular PS2 games on PSP, which could lead to developers to quickly port their games on it. Thus, in terms of creativity, original content, and handheld design approach, I think consumers may have to wait a little or pick up a reduced choice of good games to fully benefit from the gaming part of the machine. In the meantime, if you already have your games on the PS2, do you really want to pay for the PSP versions?

Yuji Naka:
The price might possibly be the problem It is my hope that Sony is preparing the pricing strategy that will make everyone happy.

Bob Stevenson:
The main perceived issue is the assumed cost of the PSP itself. There tends to be a knee-jerk reaction that such a price point would be too high to compete in the handheld space. However, Sony is clearly hoping to create a new market for handheld gamers, much in the same way they did in the console market with PS1 and PS2.

Alex Ward:
I suppose with any portable device, the big question is always going to be, How long the batteries will last? But I'm more than confident that Sony has some cool solutions for this. They said the same about the portable DVD players a few years back, yet we're at the stage where five or six hours of play is not a problem.

PSP1.jpg

PSP2.jpg

PSP3.jpg

PSP4.jpg

Guden Oden said:
This thing looks TOTALLY sexxay... Damn, I want one yesterday! :p

It does, but i must say, from experience, it is very very easy to make electronics stuff look good from upclose shots.
I took some *amazing* shots of remote controls, PS2 controllers, mobile phones, anything really, from very upclose (My Sony DSC-T1 has a very very cool "super-macro" mode which is something you have to see to believe it) and they all look terrific. I'll post some one day.

I thought it was like a laptop pad thing. Scroll ur finger and it acts like a mouse, detecting the movement of ur finger.

london-boy said:
It does, but i must say, from experience, it is very very easy to make electronics stuff look good from upclose shots.

Yeah, I can imagine, but I don't mean just the general shiney-shine-and-not-a-single-speck-of-dust finish in those macro shots, but the actual DESIGN. The shiny black casing with the brushed metal bevel around the sides, and the HUGE screen that is level with the rest of the casing, and the little LEDs embedded into it, and all the extra features like wifi, memory stick, USB2 etc. All that stuff is cool stuff in my book.

Guden Oden said:
london-boy said:

Yeah, I can imagine, but I don't mean just the general shiney-shine-and-not-a-single-speck-of-dust finish in those macro shots, but the actual DESIGN. The shiny black casing with the brushed metal bevel around the sides, and the HUGE screen that is level with the rest of the casing, and the little LEDs embedded into it, and all the extra features like wifi, memory stick, USB2 etc. All that stuff is cool stuff in my book.

Oh i perfectly agree with you, it was just a way of bragging about my T1 and the shots i took with it :LOL:

Can somebody explain how the analog pad works ??
Imagine if you had a coin under your thumb and slide it on the table, but it snaps into the center after you release it. I don't think I've seen such concept being used on laptops, etc. but it seems like a good idea for game control.

Sony should just release the empty shell for now ... PSP Prologue
That made me laugh so hard :))

Oh i perfectly agree with you, it was just a way of bragging about my T1 and the shots i took with it
On a side note, why to hell are they not releasing T11 in the Eurpoe and the US? Dammit, I love T1, but I'd rather have the new one that doesn't have the sliding door for the lens...

sonydsc-t11versussonydsc-t1.jpg

It does look mighty sexy too, but let me explain some things.
Due to the nature of the camera, especially the size, u tend to just put it in your pocket and go out. I and my friends who have one are always doing that, since it's such a small camera.
Therefore i find it very very useful and safe to have the lens covered while in my pocket, because the last thing i want is damaging it.
This is a camera that you tend to move around a lot, stick in small places, because it's so tiny. Lens covered is GOOD in my book.
In fact, i had the choice between the T1 and the T11 (i got mine from Tokyo) and i choose the T1 for that reason.

Just a thought. :D

Does it too use MS Duo? (Just to pretend this right-turn of the thread has anything whatsoever to do with the PSP... :LOL:)

marconelly! said:
On a side note, why to hell are they not releasing T11 in the Eurpoe and the US? Dammit, I love T1, but I'd rather have the new one that doesn't have the sliding door for the lens...

I have the T1 and I would not want to miss the lens protection for a camera that is with me in the toughest situations.

Fredi

Wait a sec... so T11 does not have ANY kind of lens protection? I was under impression that it has a layer of that faceted black plastic that folds/retracts over the lens, when you switch the camera on/off. Many small cameras have that. You know what I'm talking about?

T1 and T11 both use Memory Stick Duo (Pro and non-Pro) so yeah sharing the media with PSP, should be easy :) (post relevance validated :p)

Hell, if T11 doesn't have any kind of lens cover, I might as well go ahead and by T1, which is quite nicely priced in the stores here... Having an unprotected lens on something so expensive is not something I'd want to put up with. It's *way* worse than having an unprotected screen, IMO. Btw, Dynamism.com sells T11 Japanese import, but it costs $600 US to by it (+ tax and shipping)

Don't nail me on the lens protection ... I just never seen one on any pictures of the T11 ... but yeah ... I actualy don't think Sony would be that stupid to not add some kind of lens protection.

Fredi

Ok, here's confirmation ... it has no lens protection other then the coating:

Several people emailed me and asked about how the lens is protected on the DSC-T11. The DSC-T11 comes with a soft pouch that protects the whole camera. See the photo below. The pearl-white coating is also more sensitive as the coating on the silver DSC-T1 in my opinion.

dsct11pouch.jpg

http://www.i4u.com/section-viewarticle-46.html

Ok, back to the original topic. ;)

Fredi

Back