875 chipset

mkillio

Regular
I was just wondering if anyone knew what the 875 chipset was supposed to top out at as far as processor speed.

I don't know, but my guess is somewhere under 4GHz. I think I remember hearing that Intel will be changing Prescott's pinout at the end of next year.

I've been forced to dig into this recently as I've tried to do a P4EE review (it turned out the P4EE I had was only 3GHz though, and they don't ship 3GHz versions). Basically, many boards you buy off the shelf probably only have multipliers to 3.0GHz, to go beyond this in most cases you'll have to get a got for a BIOS update. You also need to be careful with the voltages that the board supports - earlier 875's may not be too great with a 1.5V supply. I went out and purchased a 875 board to do the P4EE review on and the manufacturer told me that I may need to solder a capaciter to the board in order for it to recognise the L3 cache!

Basically, be careful.

I have heard that the Abit IS7 is capable of supporting Prescott out of the box however I would not rely on this information too much until Prescott actually ships even if Abit is the one making the claim.

As for the P4EE motherboards that support Prescott may not necessarily support the P4EE due to its power hungry nature.

The best thing to do is to look at a review (or several in fact) for the P4EE and check what motherboard was used to run the processor.

Back