$67 HD tuner card @ buy.com

JBark

Newcomer
Avermedia A180 for $66.99

I jumped on this as soon as I read about it, and I'm guessing there's a few people here that could use an HD tuner for their media PC. I was a little worried at first about the "720x480" recording that they mentioned, but I guess that's only for the non-HD inputs. For the HD input, it just streams the correct subchannel right to disc/display, since it's already in MPEG2 format. Supposedly works fine with MCE 2005 as well.

I should get mine soon, I'll try to post an update after I mess with it for a couple days. Guess I better get that antenna installed on the roof. :)

I have this card and it works under regular old XP.

The included video software for XP sucks though and won't pass AC3 audio thru etc...
Also you can only scan for channels not pick them so I suggest trying to use another program.

I use one that some guy wrote it is far better which is kind of sad for avermedia. I will add a link to his stuff when I find it.

I also use a $50 Radio shack antenna and it does darn well.

here is a link to it. Not real flashy but it gets the job done well for me.

Edit: here is another link to other apps if you are contemplating this. They are just a bunch of free apps listed there, though sometimes they turn into pay apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
good news to see cheap HD tuners card (and it's actually logical, there's nothing magic in HD)
now I'd gladly have such thing but let's count the available over-the-air HDTV channels, free or not. well, zero :) (paid mpeg4 HD should come though)

main problem in europe is still, almost no content whatsoever. there are a few channel on satellite though I think. are there cheap, HD satellite PCI tuners as well?

/edit : the six historic free analog channels will go HD in 2007. good, that means I won't have to care for another year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back