600,000 PS3's sold on European launch

I translat the numbers part:

En France, le chiffre confirmé par Georges Fornay, président de Sony Computer Entertainment France et vice-président de SCE Europe, s'élève à 78 000 PS3 sur la même période de deux jours. La France se positionne derrière l'Angleterre et ses 173 000 unités, mais devance l'Espagne et l'Allemagne respectivement troisième et quatrième (les chiffres ne sont pas encore connus). C'est 24 % de mieux que la PS2 qui avait fait "seulement" 63 000 ventes en deux jours. Toujours selon Georges Fornay, le cap des 100 000 devrait être atteint le week-end prochain.

In france the sale number confirmed by Georges Fornay is 78 K pS3 sold the first 2 days. France is behind England with 173 K sold but more than Spain (third) and Germany (Fourth) but numbers for spain and germany are not known. It is 24 % more than the PS2 sales (63 K the first 2 days). According to Fornay they expect to reach 100 k sold by next weekend for france

Thanks. So I assume those dumb pics of some lonely guy in line and the PS3 bombing in France was mostly FUD?

No it was not FUD. As I posted here friday, Sony totally failed the launch event and it was a bad image for them but as a launch is a launch all the people that wanted it now got it thru preorders and reservations.

I guess that the PR company that organized the launch event did an awfull job.

The event was a disaster but according to the new numbers that followed after the event corrected things up :)

Thanks. So I assume those dumb pics of some lonely guy in line and the PS3 bombing in France was mostly FUD?

No it was not FUD. As I posted here friday, Sony totally failed the launch event and it was a bad image for them but as a launch is a launch all the people that wanted it now got it thru preorders and reservations.

I guess that the PR company that organized the launch event did an awfull job.

Retailers selling it a few days early there probably didn't help the launch event in France.

EDIT

France, Italy... Same hemisphere!

On that note, how was the Italian launch event?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but how are they coming up with 600k if this is said:

In france the sale number confirmed by Georges Fornay is 78 K pS3 sold the first 2 days. France is behind England with 173 K sold but more than Spain (third) and Germany (Fourth) but numbers for spain and germany are not known. It is 24 % more than the PS2 sales (63 K the first 2 days). According to Fornay they expect to reach 100 k sold by next weekend for france

Europe is tracked, but the numbers are never released publicly, so we'll never know any more than what PR tells us. As we all KNOW, PR is utter dogsh!t though. Reggie says 360 sells like crap, MS says otherwise. Sony's PR about their lackluster sales in Japan and NA could convince you they're selling great if there were no numbers to tell you otherwise. 360 could be bombing in Europe, but we don't know.

Let me expand a bit further on my previous post.

If we know UK was 173k and France (which had the second highest sales) was 78k let's do some math.

173k+78k=251k
If Spain was 3rd, let's say they came in just behind France and hit 70k
251k+70k=321k
Germany was 4th behind Spain, and we can be generous and say they just missed being inline w/spain at 65k
321k+65k=386k

600k-386k=214k still needed to be sold. That would require 7 more markets to have AT LEAST sold 30k a piece. Sorry, but I'm going to have to say 600k was what Sony said was sold, but we'll never know. Even if we're more generous and say Spain sold 75k and Germany sold 70k, that still leaves 200k. That would require 6.5 markets to sell 30k a piece.

Sorry to bring some math in, but 600k is just a number that started getting thrown around (seems to be PR from Sony), but I could be wrong and the number could have been cited. However, I haven't seen it. Still not doubting it happened, just pointing out what was necessary for it to happen.

we have 165k (UK) + 78k (france) + 54K ( BENELUX) + ~120k (Spain + Germany rough estimation based on the claim that France did better than Spain and Spain better than Germany).
It adds up to ~417k

We're missing estimation for north(denmark, finland, Sweden, Norway) east ( a lot countries but a lot of poor countries)and south (Italy, Greece mainly) of Europe.
600 000 seems very likely;)

Let me expand a bit further on my previous post.

If we know UK was 173k and France (which had the second highest sales) was 78k let's do some math.

173k+78k=251k
If Spain was 3rd, let's say they came in just behind France and hit 70k
251k+70k=321k
Germany was 4th behind Spain, and we can be generous and say they just missed being inline w/spain at 65k
321k+65k=386k

600k-386k=214k still needed to be sold. That would require 7 more markets to have AT LEAST sold 30k a piece. Sorry, but I'm going to have to say 600k was what Sony said was sold, but we'll never know. Even if we're more generous and say Spain sold 75k and Germany sold 70k, that still leaves 200k. That would require 6.5 markets to sell 30k a piece.

Sorry to bring some math in, but 600k is just a number that started getting thrown around (seems to be PR from Sony), but I could be wrong and the number could have been cited. However, I haven't seen it. Still not doubting it happened, just pointing out what was necessary for it to happen.

Europe has 22 more countries.

Its not just 4 countries. So if you estimate around 300k sales in 4 territories, the number 600k isnt that strange if we count 22 more countries (or atleast 15)

we have 165k (UK) + 78k (france) + 54K ( BENELUX) + ~120k (Spain + Germany rough estimation based on the claim that France did better than Spain and Spain better than Germany).
It adds up to ~417k

We're missing estimation for north(denmark, finland, Sweden, Norway) east ( a lot countries but a lot of poor countries)and south (Italy, Greece mainly) of Europe.

Is the 600k launch-day or launch-weekend? If it's the weekend, I'd say they've easily met it and if it isn't I think it's not too far off the mark (you're missing about half the countries in Europe, and Russia).

The 600 K figure never was publically stated by Sony to my knowledge. It was always external source that said it, but Sony never denied it.

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/content/default.asp?NewsAreaID=2

Why the hell would anyone ever deny getting 600k sales? Someone could've started reporting they got 800k and Sony wouldn't say otherwise. My whole point was really (I guess in a long way around) was we won't get European sales anymore, so people will always hang on how good the PS3 "must" be doing based on its launch.

Why the hell would anyone ever deny getting 600k sales? Someone could've started reporting they got 800k and Sony wouldn't say otherwise. My whole point was really (I guess in a long way around) was we won't get European sales anymore, so people will always hang on how good the PS3 "must" be doing based on its launch.

Read again liolio's, Kryton's and my post

The 600 K figure never was publically stated by Sony to my knowledge. It was always external source that said it, but Sony never denied it.

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/content/default.asp?NewsAreaID=2

Les ventes de la Playsation 3 réalisent un joli carton selon les chiffres avancés par Fujio Nishida, Président de Sony Europe. Ce sont 600 000 consoles qui auraient trouvé preneur dans les deux jours suivant sa sortie le 23 mars 2007.
Seems to me a public confirmation IMHO.

http://www.cnetfrance.fr/news/home-...-trombe-pour-les-ventes-de-la-ps3-de-sony.htm

It adds up to ~417k

Still not really arguing they didn't reach 600k, but people keep misunderstanding me. I'm saying people will cling to this good launch, but NO ONE (it's not released publicly) will know how well it sells from here out in PAL territories.

Austria- 8000 consoles sold in two days.
Belgium- 27000 consoles sold (from the 54000 allocated to the Benelux).

http://www.tripple.net/contator/1gam....asp?nnr=25185
http://www.inpactvirtuel.com/news/17...-Sony.htm?vc=1

I'm sorry guys, but there is NO WAY they've sold all units in the Benelux.

On a related note: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23862

While sales are good, managing director of Chips Don McCabe called for the retail community not to panic if stores still have plenty of stock left from their launch allocation.

"In many respects it was an exceptional launch, Sony put an awful lot of product in the channel when we're used to previous launches where we have to manage customers expectations," he commented.

"Day one sales were very good, but since then it's not been so good. There seems to be a lot of discounts going around on the machine and on games."

"The market needs to stabilise because there's some retailers that have got a few too many units. They're trying to bring down their stock levels too quickly," he said.

Also, it is confirmed: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74689

Sony has sold more than 600,000 of the 1 million PlayStation 3s made available in Europe last Friday, the company confirmed this afternoon.

Good sales, as expected...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back