5750 or 250 GTS?

Danji Ikari

Newcomer
I'm trying to decide between the two video cards (the 5750 and the GTS 250.) There's no definitive winner from what I've read. The DX11 supports seems like it would be more important than PhysX. Conversely, the GTS 250 is $22 cheaper than the 5750 (both in 1GB models constructing a PC through ibuypower.)

Does anyone have any points that might sway me one way or the other? I'm leaning towards the 5750 because of the aforementioned DX11 support.

Thanks,
Danji

I'm trying to decide between the two video cards (the 5750 and the GTS 250.) There's no definitive winner from what I've read. The DX11 supports seems like it would be more important than PhysX. Conversely, the GTS 250 is $22 cheaper than the 5750 (both in 1GB models constructing a PC through ibuypower.)

Does anyone have any points that might sway me one way or the other? I'm leaning towards the 5750 because of the aforementioned DX11 support.

Thanks,
Danji

I would add lower power consumption and higher OC headroom to that list! ;)

I personally am a bit biased towards ATi so you know my opinion, but DX11, DirectCompute and OpenCL are the future anyway.

Now you just need some nVidia biased fans opinion and you can decide :idea:

There's no denying that Physx has some uses right now and ATI can't benefit from that. So if the games you want do use that, then that may be a reason to go for NV.

DX11 support is unlikely to be the fundamental basis of game engines for a long time (outside of little superficial extras) and the performance level of these cards isn't going to allow much future growth anyway. Consider that too.

Buy a card for what you want to play TODAY and in the NEAR future. That is all that matters. In a year you probably won't want to be using these cards if you want the best visual quality from the newest games, and technology will definitely have moved on as usual (read: these cards will be quite unexciting).

The 5750 is likely to be the better gaming card in the long-run, but there are immediate benefits the GTS 250 has now (PhysX, Distributed Computing).

PhysX effects come with a major framerate penalty, you really want a GTX 260 before you can think about using them and even then you still won't be able to enable the higher levels, you need a dedicated PhysX card for that. You can probably say the same about DX11 exclusive effects as well though, so its swings and roundabouts. The seriously reduced idle power consumption is what would sell me on a 5750, though.

I've recently purchased a GTX 280 after owning a 4870 1Gig and have been underwhelmed by GPU based PhysX in the games I've seen it in thus far. What nVidia will give you (that I think is well worth it) is Stereo Vision capability, presuming you grab their glasses and a compatible viewing device. Again though, this comes with a hefty performance hit that might mean a 250 wouldn't cut it.

Go with the ATI card. At least you have the opportunity to play DX11 stuff.

Thanks everyone. Turns out my few hours of research proved correct. As I said in the OP, I'm using this comp mostly for video editing so I have one more question.

The PC i'm getting has 8GB of RAM and a core i7 860 that I'm going to OC, this along with the 5750 would it be reasonable to expect the external display to do live playback at a decent performance? I know this is a specific question that most likely no one here would be able to answer but I figured I would ask anyways.

Thanks

Also, how hard would it be to OC the GPU? Do the ATI drivers allow for OC'ing easily? (Can you tell I've never had a real PC before? :smile:) Also, what would be the suggested Power Supply wattage if I were to moderately OC the CPU and GPU? Will a 600 Watt do fine?

GTS 250 all day long as long as you get the 1Gb version, 5750 is too weak to run DX11 on it's own so it's only in really going to be running DX10 and DX9 games and in that respect the GTS 250 is the way to go :)

I believe the OC ceiling in the CCC is extremely low and you'll need to resort to 3rd party tools like ATi Tool or perhaps Riva Tuner to get a decent OC out of your 5750.

GTS 250 all day long as long as you get the 1Gb version, 5750 is too weak to run DX11 on it's own so it's only in really going to be running DX10 and DX9 games and in that respect the GTS 250 is the way to go :)

Not sure where people keep coming up with such claims... the 5750 is more than capable of running against the GT250, and in fact more times then not faster in stock configuration.
A recent 5750 review (I suppose their are biased,.. being in Canuckistan and all).. places the 5750 on about equal with the 4850 (no slouch)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...4-xfx-radeon-hd-5750-1gb-gddr5-review-10.html

http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-hd-5750-iceq-review/13
hell the measley 5750 still is able to puch Dirt2 (DX11) with 8X AA / 16AF upto 1920x1080 .. though barely

and same here
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1177/7/

Heck even [H] showed that the 5750 can run with DX11 (no AA) at 1920 nearly as fast as the 250 could in DX9.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/25/asus_eah5750_formula_video_card_review/3

So the 5750 is hardly low performing as long as you know where your limits are.. don't expect 1920x1080 at 8X/16AF in DX11.. but then again no Geforce out there is going to do that either. The only reason to get an nVidia card at the moment (other than being given one) is is PhyX is a must have, otherwise your stuck with an older/hotter/power hungry card that will never do DX11 (nvm 10.1). It's foolish to go that route (unless as mentioned its either free or for PhyX, and even then a dedicated GPU is a must have at 250/8800/9800 range).

It's it was me.. I'd search around for a 5770 (maybe flea-bay or enthusiast forums), you might be able to pick up a 5770 at 5750 price.. As far as OCing goes the 5750s are (most) hitting 850 using CCC.. close to 900 with 3rd party tweakers (in conjunction with voltage bumps) where the 5770 has more units and generally are hitting upwards of 1Ghz for V2 models.

Edit: as a note it seems ATI is on a roll as far as performance goes (though I'd personally like it if prices were a tad lower), easily matching/beating the competition

5750 = GTS250/9800
5770 = GTX 260/265
5850 = GTX 280/285
5870 = GTX 295

edit 2: just saw this
5770 1GB @ $135
5770 512MB @ $130 free shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree the 5750 is the way to go. If you can get a great deal like the one above for a 5770 go and grab it.

Performance on the 5x00 parts should continue to increase with better / newer drivers while the geforce cards have been around for a much longer time and performance increases are less likely to happen.

Not only that but the parts use less power and have eyeinfinty and dx 11 . Now while eyeinfinty might not be ideal with the slower cards like the 5750 or even a 5770 at some point you can allways grab a second card to boost performance.

The PC i'm getting has 8GB of RAM and a core i7 860 that I'm going to OC, this along with the 5750 would it be reasonable to expect the external display to do live playback at a decent performance? I know this is a specific question that most likely no one here would be able to answer but I figured I would ask anyways.

Since noone has addressed that. Do you mean live playback during the encode process? That would be determined more by your CPU speed.

If you mean live playback of a video stream then most video cards will be able to handle that on that system.

Regards,
SB

Okay, thanks everyone. I did another day of tweaking

Configuration:
  • Core™ i7-860 2.80 GHz
  • 1.5TB HDD
  • GigaByte GA-P55A-UD3 (USB 3.0)
  • 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz
  • Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
  • 700 Watts PSU
  • AMD 5770 1GB DDR5 16X
Price w/ shipping: $1355

I think it seems pretty good. What are your conclusions?

Nice rig! What monitor are you using? In some ways a PC is only as good as the feedback it gives you.

LG W2353V-PF (1080p, 50000:1 DCR, 2ms response time, 23"). I also have a PS3 so I'm using this monitor for that too. Fight Club will look quite nice...

I'm not sure I should get the new monitor before or after the PC. Probably going to order it after and they'll arrive at the same time.

It is often funny to my when people ask should I get X or Y, then after all the advice they get Z where Z is more expensive, but better than either X or Y.

So I guess that really means people ask what should I get for $X and end up buying something for $X+$X*.1 or something :)

I wouldn't have brought up the 5770 but it was posted at less than msrp of the 5750 so at that price its a steal and does offer much better performance.

I noticed that..which is why people said to go with th 5750 the natural thought progression was to go with the 5770. I read that it isn't as good as comparable cards from NVidia in some cases, but it does have DX11 and runs cooler.

In any case, thanks.

I have a gigabyte GTS250 1GB with stock clocks and it's pretty good (it runs cold and doesn't heat the case up despite not exhausting the air from the back), but I'm thinking about getting a 5770. But the problem is, I want a few games, a $230 music collection coming out in march, a Phenom II X2 555, Windows 7 x64, a Voodoo5 PCI, and an Asus STX Soundcard.

I have a gigabyte GTS250 1GB with stock clocks and it's pretty good (it runs cold and doesn't heat the case up despite not exhausting the air from the back), but I'm thinking about getting a 5770. But the problem is, I want a few games, a $230 music collection coming out in march, a Phenom II X2 555, Windows 7 x64, a Voodoo5 PCI, and an Asus STX Soundcard.

They are the same performance tier. I don't understand your motivation to go from one to the other?

Back