-40 C Mineral Oil Computing.....

Hello All,

No big deal, I just got my site back on the net after about 3~5 years away. It is pretty old, I am not sure how I want to do my new page but I do have some audio experiments that I want to do/post. I am thinking about doing a database driven site, but I don't know much about php or the like.

Take a look around if you wish,
Dr. Ffreeze
drffreeze.net

PS. Oh, I submersed my computer in 8 gal of mineral oil, then fired up a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner to chill the entire thing to -40C. That is what the bulk of my main site is about.

Mineral oil cooling is neat I guess, but as there's no need to cool every component in a computer to -40, it's quite a waste to submerge the whole thing. You'll never get your stuff clean again, that's for sure...

Also, airconditioning units tend to cause quite a racket. I'm sure a CPU refridgerator or a peltier watercooler setup will be better bang/buck+noise.

Any way, I woke up one evening before I had to go to work. I popped on the net to read any new emails (that can get quite addictive) and I had to turn on the AC. Well, I was running a bit late (the first sign of any addiction is that it starts interfering with day to day life) and popped into the shower. I shut the door to my computer room because the cats like to drink the mineral oil when not supervised (that is even a WORSE thing! Don't ask). After about a hour at work I realized that I did not turn my AC off and called my Honey. She turned it off and snapped a few pics. This is what you see. :(

I have to say this is :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cats drinking mineral oil!!! ROTFL

Damn for your equipment, but LOL

A good story, you cannot beat real life ;)

Guden Oden,

but as there's no need to cool every component in a computer to -40, it's quite a waste to submerge the whole thing.

You don't need to get every component to -40 but it is an easy way to cool all power regulators on the motherboard, all the power regulators on the video card, northbridge, southbridge, cpu, and memory. No, you will never get all that stuff clean again. =p I don't think it was a waste because it was an experiment. I know more now after the experiment than before the experiment. =)

Also, air-conditioning units tend to cause quite a racket. I'm sure a CPU refridgerator or a peltier watercooler setup will be better bang/buck+noise.

Yes it was quite loud, but remember this was an experiment. At the time I knew of no overclocker that submerged their computer in a liquid to cool the entire thing. It was an experiment. It was never designed to be a usable everyday system. It was fun as hell to do and as a bonus I got a job in the industry from it! =)

Dr. Ffreeze
www.drffreeze.net

Druga Runda,

The funny thing was I kept blaming my girlfriend's cat for going all over the appartment! I think I even made her clean it up....

DOH...

When we found out the cause was my experiemnt...

DOH!!!!!!

HAHHAHA,
Dr. Ffreeze
www.drffreeze.net

I guess you mean by 'going', you mean pooping?

And I would think mineral oil would sort of mess with their digestive system, yeah. :D

Anyway, to combat frost on the radiator melting and dripping down on your mobo, you need to put a shield under the radiator so that the oil (and possibly water condensate) pours down into the bath on the SIDE of all the electrical components, not directly on top of them. :)

Back