Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (Floor textures missing!)

Hello All,

I can't locate anyplace to get tech support, I hope maybe some of you can help. My wife and I start a new game and at the first wagons, the floor textures goes missing. This was her B-Day present, any ideas? Bad PS2? Clean PS2? Bad Disk? Just buggy game? (sounds like you all are doing fine).

Thank you so much,
Dr. Ffreeze
-40C Mineral Oil Computing
drffreeze.net

Sometimes my Ps2 will "lose" textures and tiles for a second. I think it's because of trouble streaming them off of the disc. Possibly your problem is due to a worn-out drive?

As others already told you, it's a lens problem, PS2's lens are very sensitive to dust.

Just clean the lens, you can either open it, and clean it the "old school way"... Or simply buy a DVD lens cleaner. :D

All,

Thankx! I will go buy a lens cleaner at lunch. The video on the TV wavers up and down some from time to time. This does not happen on the TV at any other time. Hope the cleaner helps with that too. I might end up opening it up and cleaning the entire thing as I got it used and it gets rather dusty. If this works well, then I will be that much more interested in buying Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

Thankx again guys,
Dr. Ffreeze
drffreeze.net

All,

Thankx for the replies. I bought a lens cleaner and it didn't work. I opened it up, cleaned it with alcohol and it still didn't work. I am now looking into repair sites. I might need to adjust the CD or DVD laser power. I will probably see if a new disk helps.

Dr. Ffreeze
drffreeze.net

3dcgi,

Excellent article, thank you. I however replaced the disk and the new one works fine. It is just very strange that a new disk with zero scratches lost only floor textures after 2~3 min of play. Oh well, works now! =)

Thank you for the feedback all,
Dr. Ffreeze
drffreeze.net

Vysez said:
As others already told you, it's a lens problem, PS2's lens are very sensitive to dust.

Just clean the lens, you can either open it, and clean it the "old school way"... Or simply buy a DVD lens cleaner. :D

Is a DVD lens cleaner different from a CD lens cleaner??

Deepak said:
Vysez said:

Is a DVD lens cleaner different from a CD lens cleaner??

Apart from being overpriced because they're "specifically for DVDs", NO. ;)

I think there are some things to look for when buying a lens cleaner for PS2, as all of them might not work.

I just don't know what they are.

I bought a cd lens cleaner, it has a sort of brush glued on a middle of the cd. The disc rattles very loudly when I put it in my PS2, and it doesn't let access tracks as instructed in the disc instructions. I don't think it cleans the lens at all.

rabidrabbit said:
I think there are some things to look for when buying a lens cleaner for PS2, as all of them might not work.

I just don't know what they are.

I bought a cd lens cleaner, it has a sort of brush glued on a middle of the cd. The disc rattles very loudly when I put it in my PS2, and it doesn't let access tracks as instructed in the disc instructions. I don't think it cleans the lens at all.

Same things happened with me...(again rr :D ). How does one know if the lens cleaner is working with a particular PS2 or rather what kind of lens cleaner to buy?

I have one that basically makes u "fast-forward" through a track (the one with the brush thingy), and i know it works because it skips a lot, meaning that the ps2 (or any other disc reader i use it on) is trying to track it down but it obviously can't because there's a big nasty brush thing interrupting the track... See what i mean?

Back