2GB of RAM: Do We Really Need That Much?

MuFu

Chief Spastic Baboon
Veteran
X-bit chime in on a hot topic: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/2gb-ram.html

So, it looks like we desperately need an essential argument in favor of the 2GB RAM. And this argument is right here!

The article is ok, I just wish they'd explore the pivotal issue further. They spend the bulk of it proving that 1GB is enough for most people, then just a single, two graph page with the killer info.

F.E.A.R. (with that particular configuration) aside, we're just supposed to take their word for it. I can understand why it'd be the case, it's just a shame it's not covered more thoroughly. Would be nice if B3D could cover something like this.

New bit-tech.net article out that covers some similar ground and some different: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/02/15/memory_-_is_more_always_better/1.html

We're trying to find out whether there is a benefit from upgrading your existing 1GB configuration to 2GB using two 1GB modules, or whether you'll be able to get away with buying another two 512MB modules to run four DIMMs together using the 2T timing.

I thought the latest A64 rev could handle 4 DIMMs at 1T?

I've recently upgraded from 1gb to 2gb. Assuming Dave is okay with it, what kind of benchmarks would you like to see?

Continuous FPS graphs (FRAPS?) with 1GB vs. 2GB at various detail settings. Just to investigate these huge dives in framerate that ruin an otherwise smooth experience.

I don't think the choice between 1GB and 2GB is a trivial one when you're on a budget. The cost difference is equivalent to that between graphics card classes.

I notice that while Tim identified BF2's hunger for RAM (confirming user feedback) the "% above/belove" results from F.E.A.R. are omitted: something that would have been interesting.

HL2 with the FakeFactory "Cinematic" pack is another absolute killer that probably requires 2GB and a 512MB card to play smoothly.

BF2 seems to be the game that shows the most improvement; I'd be interested in seeing FarCry, FEAR, and something oddball like GTA:SA and mebbe a few older games just to see if it helped with those too.

More continuous steady framerate rather than just average, as that's where I'd expect the improvements to be too.

digitalwanderer said:
BF2 seems to be the game that shows the most improvement; I'd be interested in seeing FarCry, FEAR, and something oddball like GTA:SA and mebbe a few older games just to see if it helped with those too.

Off the top of my head I can tell you that BF2 running at 1024x768 with Adaptive 6xAA and 16HQ xAF and max details never broke the 1,5gb of ram barrier for me (that's for both the game and windows). I can also tell you that IIRC GTA:SA never used up more than 200mb on max details (just the game).

I'll probably do BF2, FarCry, FEAR, Quake 4, Serious Sam 2 and Splinter Cell 2 with fps graphs.

Is it really needed to have several different settings? I was thinking about the just below and above the "yes, it makes a difference threshold" for each game.

As for HL2, it's very hard to benchmark it. Valve may decide to update the game in mid-benchmark and there goes your afternoon. Besides, some Steam updates break demo compatibility. I wish we could roll-up Steam updates. <sigh>.

Mordenkainen said:
Off the top of my head I can tell you that BF2 running at 1024x768 with Adaptive 6xAA and 16HQ xAF and max details never broke the 1,5gb of ram barrier for me (that's for both the game and windows). I can also tell you that IIRC GTA:SA never used up more than 200mb on max details (just the game).

I'll probably do BF2, FarCry, FEAR, Quake 4, Serious Sam 2 and Splinter Cell 2 with fps graphs.

Is it really needed to have several different settings? I was thinking about the just below and above the "yes, it makes a difference threshold" for each game.

As for HL2, it's very hard to benchmark it. Valve may decide to update the game in mid-benchmark and there goes your afternoon. Besides, some Steam updates break demo compatibility. I wish we could roll-up Steam updates. <sigh>.

You can go to the game properties section and tell steam not to update HL2 automatically and just reset it when you are finished benching .

Mordenkainen said:

That'd be fine. It'd be worth mentioning which settings actually have an effect on the swapping threshold if this is intended for wider consumption.

As for HL2, it's very hard to benchmark it.

I noticed! Run into that particular nightmare area myself.

Edit - sp.

Last edited by a moderator:
MuFu said:
I thought the latest A64 rev could handle 4 DIMMs at 1T?

Well, my Toledo (X2 4400+) runs @ 2T using four 512MB DIMMS (Kingston HX @ 2.5-3-3-7). Tried setting it to 1T once out of curiousity, didn't like it attall :rolleyes: .

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt. Surprisingly I've seen this come a lot of the times down to the motherboard, weird considering the memory controller is on the A64 die. Also I've seen the same module's do T1 in one motherboard and T2 in another, also with the same CPU.

2G seems to be the magic number for Boiling Point. i run 1G and have an okay fun time. the 2G crowd runs everything maxed with no lag. course my pc has the 1.4Gz limitation as well (i have to use stealth...no crowded firefights)....but the 2G ram seems to make the general driving around the large (no load) much better (i get lag when i enter towns at first...hella lag but of short duration)

I used to have 1Gb but Quake4 ran like a slide show on Ultra quality with the harddisk constantly accessing.

Now I have 2Gb 1024x768 4xAA runs smooth as silk:)

i also have my ram manager set to program (rather than system cache...i think better for multiple programs running) and i have my swap jacked up. both seemed to help.

I recently moved from 1gb to 2gb...
Differences in BF2 are the reduced loading time and the non-existent choppiness which i had with 1gb.
Fear gets a pretty large FPS increase while Quake 4 runs in Ultra mode perfectly.

I've never played a game that doesn't run perfectly smooth with 1GB of RAM. The idea that you now need 2GB is, frankly, bollocks and probably perpetuated by the people who insist you need a 750W PSU. There may be a few isolated cases where 2GB might help with transfering textures to video memory and you might avoid a very occasional hitch. However, if a game requires 2GB of RAM to avoid constant hitches then there's something wrong with it's engine.

I agree that they dont make games the way they used to but do consider the fact that back in 1996 4mbs of ram cost 120 $ and now you get 1024 with less money. Taking that into account i dont think that 2gb is that much of a deal.

Back