20" Ws Lcd

Derek, in case you ever decide to re-engage your quest for a quality but affordable LCD, might I recommend that, to accompany your $3-500 USD monitor, you purchase a $5 lampshade? :D or a $10-100 lamp... ;)

The thing I dont get is why are people settling for 6bit panels ?

If they deliver lower response times many folks will go for them for that reason. I'd lay money that there's a vast majority of panel buyers who don't even know what a 6-bit panel is.

I have the 20WGX2 (European), and while it's pretty decent, I'm not quite happy with it. Black is too bright and quickly turns into purple/orange if I move my head a bit off center.

With that said, IPS is the best all-round panel type. I couldn't settle for anything less.

Being picky is a curse.

Being picky is a curse.

Tell me about it. This isn't the first time I've planned to replace this CRT.

[EDIT:] Leaving aside all the other issues, it's the danger of getting dead pixels that's a real worry for me. Of all the parts I'm expected to accept a problem with it's the one I will spend tens of thousands of hours looking at. Not to mention it's potentially the most expensive part of a system - though my current CRT cost less than my graphics card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being picky is a curse.

:) I couldn't sleep after ordering my 20WGX2.

What do you have brightness/contrast set to ?

I set DV Mode and Advances DV mode to Standard/Off and have Brightness at 22.6% and Contrast at 50% and LED brightness at 0%.

IIRC the purple hue thing is 'feature' of IPS and compared to the drop in saturation you see with regular panels it's only really noticable with black (as you say).

After 2 weeks of use I wouldn't swap it for my old CRT :)

Rob J

DV standard, ADV off, 50% contrast. Still not settled on brightness, currently at 25%.
Oh, and I use 6500K colour preset, native looks too red.

I have to sit about 57 - 60 cm away, any closer and the corners go annoyingly purple in dark scenes.

But I shouldn't be complaining. For the most part, it's the content that's holding back IQ, not the monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back