1GB flash mp3 players

oi

Regular
So I've been looking at some 1GB players, mainly the iAudio U2, and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations? I haven't really bothered with the portable mp3 players before, but is there a significant difference in sound quality between players? Or is it more like comparing recievers where they may sound 'different' in the same price class, but not necessarily worse? I basically just want one that sounds as good as possible and is as small as possible, without much concern for battery life, heh.

oi said:
So I've been looking at some 1GB players, mainly the iAudio U2, and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations? I haven't really bothered with the portable mp3 players before, but is there a significant difference in sound quality between players? Or is it more like comparing recievers where they may sound 'different' in the same price class, but not necessarily worse? I basically just want one that sounds as good as possible and is as small as possible, without much concern for battery life, heh.

What kind of a name is THAT!!!

Next thing u know they'll come up with an iListenToThis!!1 Madonna 50C Take That

Man, I was just thinking about how much I like me little 128Mb BenQ Joybee 150 and how much use/enjoyment I get out of it.

A gig?!?! :oops:

Among Sigmatel powered players, the audio quality is generally about the same level. Some ODMs do better layouts or use better components than others, so YMMV.

I don't know anything specifically about the Cowon iAudio U2, so I can't offer any help.

p.s. to get a better idea which players are sigmatel, look at the manuals, or the installed drivers for files like: bootmanager.sb, resource.bin, etc. Or, if they mention "firmware recovery class" in the USB firmware update section of the manual, you can be pretty sure its a Sigmatel product.

How does Sigmatel products compare to the others? I don't have much to offer that wouldn't be tainted by my association with them.

The iAudio U2 is a very good player. I have the iAudio I5 and it's basically the same except shape/size, removeable battery, controls, and display. Personally I'd never get a flash player without a removeable battery that's why I got the I5. NiMHs are so cheap and long lasting that playtime isn't even an issue. The sound enhancing features of the U2 and I5 allow much customization. There IS a differnce in sound quality between different brand flash players. The iAudios and iRivers are the top sounding flash MP3 players on the market as well as top in quality and features. There is talk of the upcoming U3 which will have a color screen if you're willing to wait a few months.

oi said:
...is there a significant difference in sound quality between players? Or is it more like comparing recievers where they may sound 'different' in the same price class, but not necessarily worse? I basically just want one that sounds as good as possible and is as small as possible, without much concern for battery life, heh.

There are significant differences in max output volume. You wouldn't want a player you can barely hear. There surely are quality differences, but more because of the different default EQ-settings and such. Although people keep telling me that iPod micro sounds better than the normal iPod.

I couldn't make out any significant differences between the iPod and my Zen, sound quality wise.

What is a super-loud cheap MP3 player? I've been thinking about grabbing another one since everyone loves mine here, but I'd like one with a lot of "OOOMPH!" for when I mow the lawn. :?

Russ works for Sigmatel, a chip maker. The U2 and I5 as well as MANY other MP3 players are based on Sigmatel chips. Both Squeak and I own iAudio I5s btw. Oh and 13mW/ch is plenty loud especially if you're using headphones with a 115dB/mW sensitivity. ;)

Whatever you do don't buy Samsung flash players simply because they suck in the sound department.

digitalwanderer said:
You work for an MP3 player maker Russ? :|
Sigmatel makes the chips that power just about every flash based MP3 player on the market, here and in China. I write the (base) software that runs on those chips.

digitalwanderer said:
What is a super-loud cheap MP3 player? I've been thinking about grabbing another one since everyone loves mine here, but I'd like one with a lot of "OOOMPH!" for when I mow the lawn. :?
I use Sony in-ear isolating ear buds. They do a pretty good job of masking out external noise (-20dB), so you don't have to have a player that is cranked way up to overcome the mower. Much better for your ears.

Yep, I'm using the Shure E3 isolating earbuds and it blocks out a lot of noise. The canalphones would be perfect for lawnmowing.

I've no experience with 1GB players but I'm very happy with my 512MB Creative Muvo Micro N200. Tiny, very good quality sound, good battery life. The 1GB version is identical but for the storage space.

Certainly worth a look. I've no experience of other flash MP3 players, though.

digitalwanderer said:

Zen is the loudest, but not cheap. I don't know if the MuVo's are as loud.

i have a 256mb creatie zen (no screen, tuner or anthing fancy)
i thought the music was ok and the bass was weak, until i listened mp3's on my psp. damn what a difference of qualtiy on the psp!
i'm not gonna say buy a psp for music but what i mean is , there is quite some difference between players. also take into acount that some players are maybe a bit more expensiv but they have much better earphones.

best thing , if you have friends with mp3 players, compare and test them ;)

hey69 said:
i thought the music was ok and the bass was weak, until i listened mp3's on my psp. damn what a difference of qualtiy on the psp!
i'm not gonna say buy a psp for music but what i mean is , there is quite some difference between players. also take into acount that some players are maybe a bit more expensiv but they have much better earphones.
Are you comparing headphones? Or player output?

both of them, while changing earphones gave a bit of a boost compared with the standart creatv muvo earphones. but overal its you player that's the most important

digitalwanderer said:

How about quieter, environment friendly, non-fuel-consuming lawnmowers? :devilish:

Back