0.13 micron process available for gfx now - what next ?

eSa

Newcomer
I was reading the PS3/Cell thread in Console forum and thinking about the IC processes available in near future... Does anyone have any roadmaps etc. to share about the subject ? Not just about the Sony's work, but overall state of the industry in say 5 years ?!

It seems that move to the 0.13 micron process has been really painful, do you think this willl continue ? If I remember correctly, there have been a lot of work already done with at least 0.065 micron process...

TSMC already has schedules and shuttles running for their .09 process (Nexsys). Their roadmap has risk production starting in Q302.

The TSMC .09 micron process looks very good: http://www.tsmc.com/english/technology/t0113.htm
With 70-75% linear shrinkage and a two-times performance improvement, compared to TSMC's 0.13-Micron technology, Nexsys is poised to become the de-facto SoC process technology platform standard.
Two times performance improvment is a lot more. Probably we can expect sub $100 DX9 cards by 2004 :)
I have heard people talking about .03 micron process by 2010.

pascal said:
Two times performance improvment is a lot more. Probably we can expect sub $100 DX9 cards by 2004 :)

Heh.. We'll have $150 DX9 cards THIS year. From there it won't take long at all to drop 26%.

afaik, Matrox is already targeting their next gen to UMC's 0.09µm...
but not 100% sure if it's true. (quite possible because UMC has 0.13µm and 0.09µm much further than TMSC. so with July-August 2003 timeframe 0.09 could be viable.)

Another thing is NEC and it's eDRAM processes: 0.13µm up and running, 0.10 µm should be available on Q2/2003, if their comments on last news are still valid.

According to their roadmap, .09u mixed signal might be ready now and definately by the end of Q103.

How they're doing on the roadmap, I dunno.

Back