If I just got an X360...

My son is liking Rainbow6 Vegas right now, he's getting into it.

Hmmmm, is the 360 wireless or do I need to dig out a long network cable? I won't hook it up to Live until tomorrow when my son's at school, but still nice to know what I'll need. ;)

I get a month's free live if I sign up with a hotmail acct? Thanks for the tip!

Just checked local and there is like NOTHING decent to rent, opened a Gamefly account and they're shipping a few out. :)

Should be Viva Pinate and Gears of War first on deck, with Sonic & DoA4 waiting in the wings.
Download the Sonic demo so you can instantly see why the game should be removed from your queue. It's dreadful!

Hmmmm, is the 360 wireless or do I need to dig out a long network cable? I won't hook it up to Live until tomorrow when my son's at school, but still nice to know what I'll need. ;)

long cable unless your friend purchased the network adapter that is attached to the back.

Wireless adapter (a/b/g) is extra, and being a/b/g it is quite expensive. So use wired.

And yes gears is great. It's one of those games that gets better with age.
Vegas is good, but it's online doesn't last as well. It's just not as polished.

Get the Test drive demo. However be aware the game is apparently much better with a wheel (it's still fun though). Burnout revenge has some of the best audio around, get the demo and pump it up :p. Hell get all the demos :p

Get geometry wars too :)

You should have 1 month free live gold when you create your account. So use it wisely :)

agreed about sonic...

My list would be:

- Gears of War (needs to be done really)

- Crackdown, a great game if somewhat short lived.

- I'm going to pick up GRAW 2 this weekend, and going by GRAW I'd say it was definately worth taking for a spin.

- Kameo and Viva Pinata are worth having a go at, especially if you have kids (you can use them as an excuse for picking it up and then hog all the playtime yourself :LOL:).

- PGR3 is a good solid game and Test Drive unlimited was pretty good too from the brief play I had.

See if you can get him to be grounded again after summer when you should be able to try out Bioshock and Mass effect too... sounds like a plan to me.

WiFi would require purchasing a $100 add-on. If it's an option, I recommend the network cable, which will allow you to get better results from XBOX Connect as well if you choose to set it up.

In case you don't know, XBOX Connect is what you set up on your PC to allow the 360 to access its media files. It's not as good as the MCE/Extender setup, but it works.

-Dig out my 50' cat5 cable, check!

-Ditch Sonic from the rental line-up, check!

-Hook it all up when the kids are at school tomorrow and have a blast checking out all the demos and Halo2 which my friend is going to drop off when she picks up my kids for school in the morning, CHECK!

:D

Thanks, this is gonna be neat. I really am impressed by how much better the HD cables work than the TV one, the picture is just freaking tasty!

WiFi would require purchasing a $100 add-on. If it's an option, I recommend the network cable, which will allow you to get better results from XBOX Connect as well if you choose to set it up.

In case you don't know, XBOX Connect is what you set up on your PC to allow the 360 to access its media files. It's not as good as the MCE/Extender setup, but it works.

Cheaper to actually buy a wireless bridge, and hook it up the the ethernet port on the 360.

If you have the cash though, I've heard the wifi dongle works very smoothly.

-Hook it all up when the kids are at school tomorrow and have a blast checking out all the demos and Halo2 which my friend is going to drop off when she picks up my kids for school in the morning, CHECK!

:D

Thanks, this is gonna be neat. I really am impressed by how much better the HD cables work than the TV one, the picture is just freaking tasty!

For the demos, I'd recommend Crackdown as the first one you try. If you do, you may not get to any of the others, though. :cool:

Is it worth trying? Why not use it yourself?

DoA4 sounds like a must, as is GoW and Halo2....what's the funnest/best looking racing game?

BTW-It looks REALLY nice on the 42" plasma, I don't think we'll be getting a Wii after seeing this. :D

I already have a Live account so I would have to create a new gamertag to use it and I don't plan on doing that anytime soon. The trial came with Crackdown, I didn't realize it was only for 48 hours though, so the one month free when you sign up would be better.

If you wan't compelling storyline with some scare moments and beat junkie looking characters to the face with different objects like steel pipes or axes, then I would recommend Condemned! It was really an amazing game imo.

Condemned is quality, but I think Digi has PCs that can run the cross-platform games better than the 360.

And for some great Arcade action, especially if you can round up extra controllers is Heavy Weapon.

My family and friends just can't get enough of this game.

Well, the local X360 rental scene just BLOWS! I opened up a Gamefly account and Gears of War and Viva Pinate should be here by Monday. :)

Just got Gears of War and Viva Pinata. I haven't tried the 360 yet since we had no titles that interested me, but I've heard a lot of not bad things about GoW....

...I'm going in, gonna finally pop my next gen console cherry. :cool:

Burnout Revenge has been my favorite game on the 360 so far. Honestly, I'd consider it the best racing game that I've ever played, and that says a lot. It's simple (3 buttons), arcady, and fun, and there's very good competition online.

I'm playing Kameo right now and it's pretty fun. I'm sure the kids would like it. I'm about 3 hours in and about halfway done, though, so it's a short game.

Dead Rising is pretty fun. Mass murdering zombies is great.

Everyone loves gears of war but I refuse to play a FPS game without a mouse and a keyboard (Blasphemy!).

Other than that, not too much. The sports games are basically better looking but crippled versions of last gen games. Not much value there. EA has released 4 Fifa games in a little more than a year - such crap, but that's expected from EA.

Everyone loves gears of war but I refuse to play a FPS game without a mouse and a keyboard (Blasphemy!).

Well no biggie then since it's not a first person shooter so go and get it! Honestly the gameplay is different enough from first person games that it actually warranted me to post this which might seem like nitpicking, but it's not...

Ugh, scary.

I think I like Viva Pinate better than GoW. I could see shimmers/jaggies way too much in GoW and using a controller instead of a mouse/keyboard I just don't think I can come to grips with.

VP was interesting though, I'm betting my kids will love it.

Back