Ign: Ps3 controller feels "cheap" and "uncomfortable"

"we'll take a look at one last thing - possibly the most controversial aspect of the PS3: the controller. Prepare to be shocked though: we don't really like it all that much. True enough, you can go along with Phil Harrison's proclamation that it's already the industry-standard controller amongst umpteen-million gamers around the globe, but, arguably, that doesn't make it the best. Personally, we can't help but feel that the SIXAXIS (as it's now known) has been sadly neglected when viewed alongside the rest of the PS3. Compared to Microsoft's uber-comfortable Xbox 360 pad, the SIXAXIS feels cheap, plasticky, uncomfortable and disconcertingly light - almost as if it's going to fly out of your hands during those more extreme gaming moments.

More worrying still, the newly-designed lower L and R shoulder triggers feel more like they belong on an early controller prototype than the near-final model. Replicating the 360 pad, rather than being simple shoulder-mounted buttons, the triggers are now hinged horizontally along the controller, with pressure forcing them inward along the bottom - like triggers then, really. Trouble is, they're placed almost unnaturally low meaning we found ourselves operating them by jamming our fingers in between the hinges to apply pressure, rather than using the buttons themselves. What's more, the triggers are convex, with no grooves to keep your fingers in place - an issue further compounded by their smooth finish, offering no resistance against your finger tips. Invariably we found our digits slipping off with the triggers snapping back to their default position. Bah. Of course, the PS2's Dual Shock pad wasn't without its faults either but we still learned to live with it. It's just a shame that Sony hasn't used its resources to bring its controller up to next-gen standards along with its cutting-edge hardware"

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738858p2.html

Wow that wa sunexpected. So far I had the impression it was very comfortable but probably it will be loved by some and hated by others

Is there anyone that actually cares about IGN and what they say? I might, the day their front page consists of less than 1MB of downloaded data and they dump the idiotic male schauvinistic car and girls section shit from their site...

*subjective*

Many other review sites (crews) stated that they like the newer lighter feel and that it essentially feels like a PS2 controller.

It boils down to personal preference…

*subjective*

Many other review sites (crews) stated that they like the newer lighter feel and that it essentially feels like a PS2 controller.

It boils down to personal preference…
Absolutely agreed that it's subjective, but I wonder if Sony had spent a lot of resources designing the "batarang" concept version (along with the motion sensing stuff) and given the poor reception it got, they were left with having to just tweak an existing design.

Then again, there's a lot to be said for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Fine tuning an existing design that works is definitely the smart approach. I think MS took that approach with the 360 controllers (fine tuning the Controller S--which fixed the broken design of the Dukes). Actually, since the dual shock, we haven't seen a radical redesign of the tradional controller (well, except the Wii, but even it still supports a tradtional controller).

But I will say that the opinion from the IGN folks doesn't surprise me at all. Much of what they say is what I was thinking, based purely on images...then again, I've never been a fan of the dual shock. Like you said, it's all subjective...

Trouble is, they're placed almost unnaturally low meaning we found ourselves operating them by jamming our fingers in between the hinges to apply pressure, rather than using the buttons themselves. What's more, the triggers are convex, with no grooves to keep your fingers in place - an issue further compounded by their smooth finish, offering no resistance against your finger tips. Invariably we found our digits slipping off with the triggers snapping back to their default position

This is why I own a Pelican Chameleon Controller which is smaller and puts R2/L2 in a "trigger" position. The standard PS controllers (PS1, DS, DS2) I always had trouble keeping my fingers on the shoulder bumpers. With the Pelican I have a MUCH more comfortable grip and have a more natural way of pressing the buttons without worrying about the controller slipping out from my fingers.

In this way I always thought the GCN controller was great (although needed a Z on both shoulders), of course the C-stick was horrid and the face buttons were not incorperated/designed around well by many companies.

I've held the controller and I'd say it's fine - I mean it's the same controller afterall! It *does* feel light, I agree with that... people just need to take themselves back to the pre-Dual Shock PS1 days to get a sense of how light I'm talking about.

I would prefer a 'weightier' feel, but at the same time, I think we're all just used to it now. Now - obviously this controller is not actually 'cheaper' than the dual-shock in terms of construction and materials, it's just that without the rumble motor and counterweights, that's a lot of weight removed.

Frankly I wish that they had gone through with the boomerang, and thinking retrospectively, with the motion sensing, the design they had developed for it makes that much more the sense now.

Definitely a person preference thing, but I can understand where they are coming from. The PS2 controller, for me, is intolerable. Especially considering I have eczema...

The triggers were one of my major concerns, I couldn't tell if they rotated or slid backwards. Was hoping they rotated, guess not.
The 360 triggers are as low as you'd comfortably want them (imo), so that was a concern too. I always found using the lower PS2 shoulder buttons a pain (then again I'm not a huge fan of the 360 shoulder buttons either - but thats mostly when a game requires you to press both a shoulder and trigger.... grrr).

ps3_controller.jpg
Xbox360controller2_th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So the new PS3 controller has gone from comfortable to uncomfortable even though its the same form factor.

Interesting.

Just tie a brick onto it. It will go from "feels cheap" to "feels expensive and substantial".

Considering we're supposed to move this controller around in 3 dimensions, I'm glad it's extra light. I'd imagine the lightweight controller is a conscious decision by Sony to make it comfortable for motion sensing, rather than just being a cheap, flimsy design.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see vibration make its way back into Sony controllers sometime down the road.

I was a fan of the original batarang design. Sony should do the smartest thing and release the original batarang controller as an accessory, so that way we could have a choice.

My friends are just going to be pissed that they continue to have the D-pad split into four "buttons" still. While I've never had a problem with that personally, a number of my friends complain of mid-thumb chafing when they use it for more active games like Street Fighter and such.

The R2/L2 pseudo-triggers do look a bit low, but mainly just if you're wanting to pull them with your index fingers. At this point I'm so damn used to hitting them with my middle fingers that it would be uncomfortable to shift. ;)

And while I wouldn't like the design (I flip a controller around in too many positions to like one that forces my grip. It's not a flight stick, dammit!), I'm still mighty curious to see just what the original design would have done. Maybe someone will whip one up as a 3rd party gimmicky option. Hehe...

I've personally held one. I thought it felt very good. I especially liked the new L2 R2 triggers. They felt really good to me.

I didn't get the impression that it was that much lighter than the DS2. But I was playing with a wired one at a public event. Maybe the weight some people feel is missing is the weight of the wire itself.

Of course you can never please everyone.

The R2/L2 pseudo-triggers do look a bit low, but mainly just if you're wanting to pull them with your index fingers. At this point I'm so damn used to hitting them with my middle fingers that it would be uncomfortable to shift. ;)

A side by side shot with the DS2. if anything, the PS3 L2/R2 is higher than the DS2. The lip got much shorter making the buttons look lower than they actually are.

h-103_61286_co4.jpg.jpg

Of course not. The many of the same people who are worried about being overly tired about motion control on Wii will be complaining about the light weight of the sixaxis.

If they are the same people then they are spot on.

I like the Wii controller and concept (I just hope the execution of the concept and the technology are up to the task, which I think they are), but I don't believe there are many doubting that your arms WILL be tired from using the Wii-mote for longer gaming sessions, specifically games that require constant aiming at the screen (like FPS). Hold your arm out for 30 minutes and tell me it isn't sore...

That said, light is not bad. Sixaxis will be fine if it is light. It is an adjustment. People tend to associate light with cheap, but that need not be the case in reality in regards to function or durability. So I don't think weight will be an issue.

What I do think is an issue is the convex R2/L2 trigger (concave would have aided grip; likewise slightly staggered would have alleviated the strain of unnaturally having your middle and pointer finger up while trying to grasp with the pinky and wring fingers). The placement of the analog sticks is also an issue that bugs many (but again, not others).

But as others mentioned, the shape is probably the biggest issue if the Sixaxis portion of the controller is to take off. The batarang may not have been ideal for all traditional games, but the long, curved handles would have allowed for a lot of adjustment to get the right "feel" for games controlled by movement. I don't think it could have matched the Wii (due to legacy), but watching people play Warhawk with the Sixaxis looks clunky, although any design relying on a hingless object being manipulated in real space with 2 hands will be kind of odd, at least at first.

So the new PS3 controller has gone from comfortable to uncomfortable even though its the same form factor.

Interesting.

They weren't complaining about the form factor, they were complaining about the changes made from the Dual Shock design. Triggers, lack of weight, those things are different from before.

A side by side shot with the DS2. if anything, the PS3 L2/R2 is higher than the DS2. The lip got much shorter making the buttons look lower than they actually are.

h-103_61286_co4.jpg.jpg

I meant they look lower than the equivalent trigger positions on others' controllers. Obviously they're in the same position as the old L2/R2, but those were designed for middle fingers. ;) The others' controllers are aimed more at using the triggers with your index fingers and moving them up to the other buttons when needed.

Back