Stargate Cancelled!

Hehe, just after I was wondering why the series even made it so far in the other thread :LOL:

It's better than most of the programs on Sci-Fi, and it's pretty much been leading their ratings for the last five years since they got the show. It's only BSG that's been doing better since last year.

It's typical Sci-Fi Channel though. Take a hit show, get contracts in place for next year, then stop promotion, screw the schedules to minimise the audience, and then cancel the show. All at the same time they continue to put money into cheap "ghost" shows.

Still, ten years is a long run, so maybe it's time.

That's what I meant. And after the second year, it was already beaten to death with ever more of the same old just as any other show going for so long.

It's still a lot more entertaining now than say, Enterprise in just about any season. Might be different if we'd had a couple more years of Farscape or Firefly to change the historical perspective.

What other good Sci-Fi serials have we got? BSG and Atlantis, with maybe Dr Who if you include the lightweight stuff. That's about it. There will be a BSG spinoff that sounds more drama than SF, the Torchwood spinoff that sounds more x-files, and JM Strazynski's revamped Trek franchise in a couple of years. It's looking like a desert out there.

There is a serious lack of any good new stuff, there I agree. If you only knew how I miss the better episodes of Babylon 5! And frankly, Atlantis is a joke to me.

It's still a lot more entertaining now than say, Enterprise in just about any season.
Are you kidding me? Unless something divine intervented with SG1 since like 2nd season or so and upped quality roughly 400%, it surely has to rate as one of the crappiest sci-fi shows I've ever watched. The characters were terrible, acting worse, the props and effects were a joke... It's like they took ideas from the movie, then cut the budget to 10% and then built a replica. Case in point; helmets of the badguys. Instead of smooth computer morphing we get huge clunky heavy UGLY buckets... I LOLed for real when I saw that. Rediculous!

Well... At least it was slightly better than Lexx... :p

Might be different if we'd had a couple more years of Farscape or Firefly to change the historical perspective.
I never saw much of farscape, it seemed kind of OK I guess. The klingon with the pig-nose was a ripoff of real klingons tho. I guess I should see firefly, I only ever hear people say good things about it.

and JM Strazynski's revamped Trek franchise in a couple of years.
Hmm. What's this? :)

It's looking like a desert out there.
Sci-fi (especially good sci-fi) seem to come and go in waves. We might be in a shallow right now I suppose...

Are you kidding me? Unless something divine intervented with SG1 since like 2nd season or so and upped quality roughly 400%, it surely has to rate as one of the crappiest sci-fi shows I've ever watched. The characters were terrible, acting worse, the props and effects were a joke... It's like they took ideas from the movie, then cut the budget to 10% and then built a replica. Case in point; helmets of the badguys. Instead of smooth computer morphing we get huge clunky heavy UGLY buckets... I LOLed for real when I saw that. Rediculous!

I suppose you watched all ten seasons so really know what you are talking about?

There's a reason why Enterprise lasted four years, and SG1 lasted ten, and maybe more if they move to another channel.

Dammit :( I just hope the writers were planning on ending the Ori story arc and leaving it at that this season. As for Atlantis, I don't mind it; it was interesting to find out more about the origins of the Ancients.

See I'm quite liking the new season so far, they've changed the paradigm, so instead of being Us vs them its Us them and a few others against the scary lot. I like how its gradually progressed to from finding something in a mountain to having full military operations on a space ship... and it doesn't feel out of place.

Didn't they announce it in ep 200th ?
From that ep I got :
The show is canceled but it's fine because there's a movie planned instead...

But Lexx had two MIGHTY hot chicks in there (Eva Habermann and Xenia Seeberg), so SG loses here too! :p

It's true Stargate have never used them just as cheesecake, but haven't you seen the Femme Fatalle photoshoot Amada Tapping did a few months back? She looks absolutley stunning, the sort of looks that could have made her a model. And of course Claudia Black is just sex-on-a-stick. I always found the Lexx girls to be pretty bland in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
At first I did not care for SG-1. But the more I watched the more I love. Watched the frist 6 seasons and just started the 7th. I love netflix for this kind of stuff.

Anyways some really good stuff in SG-1 but like any other si-fi it has some slow points... Still so glad I had a chance to see it. Its a bummer to hear they are cancled, but one heck of a run and sooner or later all good things must end. So now lets see if we have another sping off show or movie :)

I liked Amanda more when she had long straight hair in the alternate universe episodes. :D

Stargate cancelled on Sci-Fi after this series, but it may get picked up or continue in some other form or other network. Atlantis picked up though, and BSG restarting in October. Here's the full Gateworld story.

Well, Stargate was cancelled on Showtime after the end of season 5, and then picked up by Sci-Fi. So hopefully another network will pick them up for another 5 seasons. :)

It's the best sci-fi television show, over its entire body of work, ever. And given the storylines that they opened up with the Ori in season 9, they've GOT to go at least another 2-4 seasons to resolve it.

Here's hoping. :)

Well, Stargate was cancelled on Showtime after the end of season 5, and then picked up by Sci-Fi. So hopefully another network will pick them up for another 5 seasons. :)

It's the best sci-fi television show, over its entire body of work, ever. And given the storylines that they opened up with the Ori in season 9, they've GOT to go at least another 2-4 seasons to resolve it.

Here's hoping. :)

The interesting thing is that if you read the places I linked to, MGM still seems to be very committed to the show. Contracts are in place with the actors for the next season, they have merchandising and a MMPORG on the way, they sell in over a hundred countries. They were even talking about another spin-off series a few months back.

Given that Atlantis is still on the go and the studio will still be working, I think that there's a better chance that the show will move to another channel than in most cancellation situations.

Rumours are that one of the reasons the show was not picked up by Sci-Fi is that they think Eureka is now they best thing since sliced bread, and they wanted to show more wrestling. Way to go Sci-Fi-Wrestling Channel. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's true Stargate have never used them just as cheesecake, but haven't you seen the Femme Fatalle photoshoot Amada Tapping did a few months back? She looks absolutley stunning, the sort of looks that could have made her a model.

Hot Essex girl? Pffft! TBH she aged really badly through the series.

As for SG as a whole, I dunno I thought that through the seasons it got caught up in the fatal "we've done that story-line, gotta think of something even bigger and more implausible" problem. The shows I've seen since Anderson left have been deeply mediocre.

Hot Essex girl? Pffft! TBH she aged really badly through the series.

As for SG as a whole, I dunno I thought that through the seasons it got caught up in the fatal "we've done that story-line, gotta think of something even bigger and more implausible" problem. The shows I've seen since Anderson left have been deeply mediocre.

Nah it's been the same as every other season. Largely good, some mediocre ones in there, some spectacular ones in there. Same old same old. Can't have everything be a blockbuster. Doesn't work that way in any show. :)

It's true Stargate have never used them just as cheesecake, but haven't you seen the Femme Fatalle photoshoot Amada Tapping did a few months back? She looks absolutley stunning, the sort of looks that could have made her a model. And of course Claudia Black is just sex-on-a-stick. I always found the Lexx girls to be pretty bland in comparison.

Glad we'll never be in a situation to compete for the same kind of girls :)

Back