ATI Hardware and floating point textures

OK, perhaps a simple question, but what ATI hardware supports ARB_texture_float? For my own applications I simply use ATI_texture_float, but for school we have an application that has been written to use the ARB format.

Neither my Radeon 9500 Pro or my Mobility X600 seem to support the ARB extension despite it being nearly identical to the ATI extension.

Zengar said:
Tom on delphi3d.net has a list of card/drivers combo

Try looking there

Thank you, I think that site will be of great use in the future.

Now of course this begs the question as to why ATI doesn't support the ARB version of the extension? Is this because of the partial precision definition?

I would think that all the vendors would be interested in supporting the ARB version of any extension as quickly as possible if one is available.

Zengar said:
ATI designed this extensions actually. Are you shure they do not support them? *strange*

Well the GL_ARB_texture_float extension is not reported by either my Radeon 9500 Pro w\ Cat 6.5 or my Mobility X600 w\ (I think) Cat 6.2.

I'd also recommend picking up Realtech VR's OpenGL Extension Viewer:
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

It has a Database tab with just about every card ever made and a list of all the supported extensions gathered.

Doing a backwards search on GLB_ARB_texture_float only returns: NVIDIA Corporation and one(1) 3DLabs (WIldcat Realizm)

Doing a backwards search on GLB_ATI_texture_float returns ATI and NVIDIA (62 renderers)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharkfood said:
I'd also recommend picking up Realtech VR's OpenGL Extension Viewer:
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

Thank you, I've used that tool before, but I keep forgetting what it's called and where to find it.

I've found that while the ARB extension isn't exposed the enumerants for it actually do work, both in the initial program I was trying to use and in my own code.

If anyone on the ATI driver team reads this, could you please let me/us know what's going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
That would probably be because the ARB extension is a superset of the ATI one. The same tokens are used for the same functionality, the ARB extension however adds a few more tokens not used by the ATI one. I advise you to read the extension specs to see the differences.

Colourless said:
That would probably be because the ARB extension is a superset of the ATI one. The same tokens are used for the same functionality, the ARB extension however adds a few more tokens not used by the ATI one. I advise you to read the extension specs to see the differences.

Ahh, I see now...
RGBA32F_ARB and RGBA_FLOAT32_ATI are actually the same exact token, I apologize for my ignorance. I'm using JOGL so it has the enumerants built in and I'd never explicitly get to see that the two tokens are in fact the same.

Back