Early Look At Intel Kentsfield (Quad Core Gaming Chip)

SugarCoat

Veteran
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1527913

Grabbed a printscreen since the site is getting hammered and slow to load. At least it was for me. Essentially its like having 4 2.4GHz 1066FSB 8MB shared cache Conroe chips. So it looks like the Revision 2 975X will be working for Quad core. Very nice. Note the voltage. The user of the chip seems to of been able to bump it to 3.2GHz without touching the voltage as well. Though it looks like he has some form of aftermarket cooling.

Whats the point in having 4 cores? Unless applications are multithreaded, wont this be useless?

When will we be seeing an OS that can use games/apps to use load balancing to leverage all 4 cores?

demonic said:
Whats the point in having 4 cores? Unless applications are multithreaded, wont this be useless?

When will we be seeing an OS that can use games/apps to use load balancing to leverage all 4 cores?

play a game and run 3x F@H? :)

I love my dual core though you're right that multicore CPUs are still very much useless to most single apps other then benchmarking. Still nice to remove essentially any CPU bottleneck since you can assign processes to certain processors and allow your games or what have you to get the most of the primary processor. A few MMORPGs can be run multi-windowed as well if you have multiple accounts. What i do alot is run music and F@H on my second processor and play a game (pick your FPS/RTS poison).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back