Sony to sell software "license" only, no pre-owned games

Shifty Geezer said:
The devs are going to drop all software development for XB360 and Wii in the middle of 2007. Apart from 1st party titles, there will be no games on any machine other than PlayStations.

There is NO WAY! that part could be true, absolutely no way. I find that idea ridiculous.

I wouldn't have a problem with this model so long as I can download the software as often as I need to, or can get other free media replacements on demand.

Because after all, if what I own is the license then I should be able to get as much media as I need.

The paper publishers (books, magazines, newspapers) must be bitterly jealous tho. I'm imagining a cop on a train stopping a fellow from picking up a newspaper that was lying on his seat when he got there. "Excuse me, sir, do you have a license for that newspaper?"

Edit: And dentist's offices! They'd be decimated! :LOL:

Tap In said:
I'm guessing it was the Shifty humor at work there. ;)

LOL then I fell for it bigtime :), I kind of tought at first he might be joking, but after I read it couple of times I thought he was serious...

The part where Sony makes used games business impossible makes sense, and I could see that happening, not saying it will, but I'd do it if I were Sony.

Dr Evil said:
LOL then I fell for it bigtime :), I kind of tought at first he might be joking, but after I read it couple of times I thought he was serious...

well if it wasn't humor, then.... we're in for some big changes :oops:

Not sure if this was brought up...

What if your ps3 breaks? You have to rebuy your games. I know lots of people that owned several ps2's and ps1's. The technology as I read it writes a unique console ID to each game disc when its first loaded thereby making it useless on other consoles.

I think this concept has merits, but too many businesses rely on games playing on multiple consoles. This would just piss off too many people. Gamespot/ EB would give ps3 hardly any shelf space, or even consider boycotting it. Gamefly would enter some type marketing agreement with MS. MS PR dept would have field day.

But the worse is 14 yr old little Jimmy couldn't take his games over to his friends house and play them.

The combination would hurt Sony's market share sunstantially. The only people that would like the concept are the publishers but publishers don't make a dime off of consoles that nobody buys.

I don't see why this would need to be done using technology in the console, it could be completely a legal issue. Sony simply sells games the same as they always have but the license says not for resale or rent. Then they sue blockbuster and the other rental places if they try to rent ps3 games.

Back