Wii Controller

NANOTEC said:
Yeah you can use the GC controllers but I was wondering if you can use this classic controller for playing GC games on Wii.

From my translation of the Japanese Wii site
The ports:

2 USB 2.0 slots
1 SD Card slot
4 gamecube controller ports
2 gamecube memory card slots
1 AV multimedia output port (new AV cable used)
1 sensor bar connection port

So unless it connects to the Wii remote, it has a GCN connector, since you're going to have 4players with some games.

It does sound like Nintendo have struck a chord with the many tired of the same old same old and eager for something new. Implementation sounds excelent. Also I note there's lots of separate consoles with their own sensor bars and they're all working, so the signalling seems to be robust even with devices on the same frequency band.

That isn't the controllers fault but rather the game or whatever the hell he was doing, it would be monotonious doing that with an analog stick as well.

He's trying to play the conductor demo that Miyamoto used to conduct the Zelda tune at the start of Nintendo's E3 conference. He obviously doesn't have a single clue how you conduct though sine he's just lifting and dropping the controller repeatedly :)

Jarrod, you can sit and move an analog stick up,down,up,down,up,down if you want to, so lets also declare that standard controllers will also be monotonous.. I mean really, think before posting.

Teasy said:
Jarrod, you can sit and move a analog stick up,down,up,down,up,down if you want to, so lets all declare that standard controllers will also be monotonous.. I mean really, think before posting.

At least moving an analog stick or pressing buttons you tend to become absorbed in what's happening on screen. I'm afraid the Wii's controller is going to do the opposite of what it's intended purpose is- DECREASE immersion in the game. I think it will be hard to forget you are violently moving your arm around, here, in your living room, instead of the virtual world on the screen.

I can also practically feel the lactic acid buildup he must be feeling in his arm. If gamers can go on marathon sessions with this controller they are going to have the physique of the incredible hulk- in their playing arm only, unfortunately.

JarrodKing said:
At least moving an analog stick or pressing buttons you tend to become absorbed in what's happening on screen. I'm afraid the Wii's controller is going to do the opposite of what it's intended purpose is- DECREASE immersion in the game.
Huh? Have you never played EyeToy? Motion control is very immersive. You don't have to bypass you motion control in your brain to play the games, and use and artifical set of motions. For non-gamers who don't have the skills of conventional controllers that's a real barrier. Everyone has the skills to wave a stick around! And that means more relaxing into the game and more immersion. Certainly never less.
I can also practically feel the lactic acid buildup he must be feeling in his arm.
That is a problem with extensive motion control. Again EyeToy is a good example. A few minutes on some of those games waving arms around is pretty aerobic and builds up a sweat. That's not really a good standard for relaxing gaming! But I think these early games are showing the tech to extreme, like any new thing it's used to excess. Eventually, depending on the game, controls will be tuned down to something less energetic!

JarrodKing said:
At least moving an analog stick or pressing buttons you tend to become absorbed in what's happening on screen. I'm afraid the Wii's controller is going to do the opposite of what it's intended purpose is- DECREASE immersion in the game. I think it will be hard to forget you are violently moving your arm around, here, in your living room, instead of the virtual world on the screen.

I can also practically feel the lactic acid buildup he must be feeling in his arm. If gamers can go on marathon sessions with this controller they are going to have the physique of the incredible hulk- in their playing arm only, unfortunately.

So says the gamer who's never played it. :LOL:

Anyway, the reviews for Wii have all said that they started off with grandiose movements before realizing only small, subtle movements were required. Flick of the wrist and all that.

The video ads for E3 are obviously over the top to bring attention, but the real world impressions are far more subdued.

JarrodKing said:
Here's a video of someone using the controller. In my opinion, (certainly in this video) the monotony of using the Wii's controller all of the time has not sunk into the gaming populace's collective mind-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njBdnRuc5F8&search=E3 Nintendo Wii Kotaku videogame

Revolution? I don't know about that. This video is hilarious.

What game was he playing? I heard the zelda music, but the actual zelda game isn't played like that. Or was it just music added in for effect, since the music seemed to match his movements. It'd be really interesting to know what game he was playing.
I'm sure it doesn't look much more exciting on a normal controller though.

He's trying to play the conductor demo that Miyamoto used to conduct the Zelda tune at the start of Nintendo's E3 conference. He obviously doesn't have a single clue how you conduct though sine he's just lifting and dropping the controller repeatedly

Oh, that makes sense. Like most people, he's probably not good at any rythm based games.

Did Sony really steal the pad design??

Dated November 25, 2003

Harrison then went on to discuss even cooler possibilities, such as new menu systems that could be controlled by gamers simply waving a hand in a certain direction. He compared it to the futuristic computer database used by Tom Cruise in the film Minority Report. Of course, just because Sony is working on these features doesn't mean they're a lock for the PS3. Nevertheless, it's great to hear about some of the ideas swirling around at Sony's R&D.

http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/4815/

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
Did Sony really steal the pad design??

Dated November 25, 2003

http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/4815/

That specifically refers to using the eyetoy to do those things though, not a gamepad. Sony's plans to do all sorts of things with the eyetoy have been known for a while.
Plus, I think it's pretty telling that the ps3 dev kits did not even have this controller functionality until about a month ago, if it was something they had really been planning it would have been out there a while before. From my POV, this is one time Nintendo would have been right to be paranoid, whereas they wasted their paranoia on Super Mario Sunshine.

Shifty Geezer said:
Huh? Have you never played EyeToy? Motion control is very immersive. You don't have to bypass you motion control in your brain to play the games, and use and artifical set of motions. For non-gamers who don't have the skills of conventional controllers that's a real barrier. Everyone has the skills to wave a stick around! And that means more relaxing into the game and more immersion. Certainly never less.
That is a problem with extensive motion control. Again EyeToy is a good example. A few minutes on some of those games waving arms around is pretty aerobic and builds up a sweat. That's not really a good standard for relaxing gaming! But I think these early games are showing the tech to extreme, like any new thing it's used to excess. Eventually, depending on the game, controls will be tuned down to something less energetic!
I think eyetoy feels immersive because you actually see yourself on screen

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
Did Sony really steal the pad design?
Good grief, how many times has this got to be mentioned and argued?! According to Phil Harrison Sony wanted motion control back in 1994 but it wasn't possible then. A patent for the motion-aided controller was filed in 1997 and published in 1999 (might be slightly out with dates, but 1999 was the date on the patent for sure). They had a gyro-controller for PSP demo's December 2004, months before Revmote was announced.

Motion control was not something Sony only thought of only after seeing Revmote at E3 '05. It may well have encouraged them to add the tilt control where otherwise they may not have bothered. No-one knows other than the Sony execs in charge who made the decisions.

Back