Too Human Gameplay Footage (shaky cam)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kabbage said:
This is why i couldnt care less if a game developer shows early footage, because it usually just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

All the reason to save us from unneeded judgments and unneeded bashing and warnings that the end is nigh.

Alstrong said:
All the reason to save us from unneeded judgments and unneeded bashing and warnings that the end is nigh.

You can add praise to that as well... but is it ok to praise early footage?

Because if it is ok to praise trash footage why isnt it ok to be critical of it.

I can't believe how many people can't just realise it's an early beta build. You can't judge the depth of teh combat, or the 'Fun factor' because the game is not actually represented. This is just to give you an idea of what the game will look and play like, but it's BETA, hell it's 8 months before launch I wouldn't even call that a beta version. For all we know, that could be 1/10 of the enemies you typically battle against.

I think it looks great for what it is, sure maybe the transitions between animations could be smoother, and it looks like it could be more responsive, but is anyone really gonna sit there and say the animations of him wielding the staff are not kick ass? When he's twirling the staff around, striking at enemies, that's excellent animation, as good as any I've sen in a video game.

Kabbage said:
You can add praise to that as well... but is it ok to praise early footage?

Because if it is ok to praise trash footage why isnt it ok to be critical of it.

Since games generally tend to improve as they near release, I don't see what's wrong with praising early footage, as long as you don't try and proclaim the greatness of the game before it's even released. It's not really fair to be TOO critical of early demo's, since it's not the final product, and at the very least you have to expect there to be considerable flaws.

scooby_dooby said:
It's not really fair to be TOO critical of early demo's, since it's not the final product, and at the very least you have to expect there to be considerable flaws.

By saying what... the combat looks uninspiring.... it does... how much that changes over time is unknown...

Im not just gonna sit back and sing its praises when there seems to be nothing to praise and because you people think i shouldnt. My criticism shouldnt be stifled because it is early...Im working with what I have not optimism.

I am Optimistic that it will improve, but that is not what I was presented with. This ass footage is what I have, it is what I am going with.

When better footage comes along, then maybe I will have something to praise, not a moment sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kabbage said:
By saying what... the combat looks uninspiring.... it does... how much that changes over time is unknown...

Im not just gonna sit back and sing its praises when there seems to be nothing to praise and because you people think i shouldnt. My criticism shouldnt be stifled because it is early...Im working with what I have not optimism.

I am Optimistic that it will improve, but that is not what I was presented with. This ass footage is what I have, it is what I am going with.

When better footage comes along, then maybe I will have something to praise, not a moment sooner.

The thing is it can only get better..

So being crtical of something which has the potential to improve is pointless.

If the gameplay looks uninspiring to you maybe it's not your sort of game, but if that is the case why are you complaining about it ?

Kabbage said:

No one asked you to praise it. You said:

Kabbage said:
This is why i couldnt care less if a game developer shows early footage, because it usually just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm saying that SK didn't release this, bytesector did. I'm fairly certain that SK knows that a shitty video of an early beta build would draw the kind of criticizms you're levying against TH, which is why they would never release this video on the net.

So if you're going to base your entire opinion of the game on an unsanctioned, low quality, beta product, video then youre just wasting your time.

EDIT: P.S. I think its absolutely ok to be critical of early footage, especially if a developer were to release it. The only thing i disagree with here is the sweeping indifference you NOW have based on this footage.

Also, if this demo is what theyre going to use at E3 to 'wow' people then Peter Moore needs his head examined. Hopefully we'll get somethign a bit better and a closer approximation of the final game next week. (finally, next week...)

Last edited by a moderator:
well here's the unofficial "official" word on the video:

"The sword was the only weapon worked into the game. No combos were available other than the ones you saw with the wolf and the angel wings.

The animations were not put in yet because they were still tweaking everything. All of the animations you saw of the enemies running around and looking stupid are defaul moving animations for a biped in the 3d software they are using. They have animations closer to the announcement trailer that will be put in, and probably shown for E3. The vid of Baldur whipping the guns around is closer to what you can expect, none of the transitions were in place yet.

The AI was off, the robots were just supposed to run up to you and stand there so you could hit them.

The guns and animation were not final at all, they just stuck them in there so players could have another weapon.

You got to see ZERO of the cool stuff like the camera inside the red-eye, or the scenario with the elite red-eyes shooting missile after missile at baldur, nor did you get to see the big room with the HORDES and HORDES of redeyes.

The animation of Baldur with the staff swinging it around and stuff was actually not controlled. They hadn't put it in yet, so you just clicked the dpad and he would do that all day.

And for the biggest concern, the camera is in no way final. The one you saw isn't even placeholder.... it's just garbage. The camera they have in the current build is much more dynamic and position-friendly. Wait til E3 and get ready to be blown away."

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=439321&page=13

expletive said:
Good info but can you find where this unofficial poster got his 'official info? Did Dyack post this on some other forum somewhere?

off of toohuman.net the official fan site

expletive said:
Good info but can you find where this unofficial poster got his 'official info? Did Dyack post this on some other forum somewhere?

If Dyack posted it it would be the official "official" info ;)

poobone's got hookups

expletive said:
Later on in the thread, a guy from Bytesector registered and more or less confirmed poobone's comments. I checked, and the guy registered with an @bytesector.com e-mail address, so he's legit.

Still, take it as you will. I'm waiting for E3.

So the trailer that is shown for example in the latest 1UP show is all cgi???
Damn, I was hoping it was realtime as it looked good, and because I thought only Sony was misleading people with their Killzone cgi footage.

Inane_Dork said:
Later on in the thread, a guy from Bytesector registered and more or less confirmed poobone's comments. I checked, and the guy registered with an @bytesector.com e-mail address, so he's legit.

Still, take it as you will. I'm waiting for E3.
thanks for checking and for the update

from the sounds of it, we will be very pleased/suprised with this game at E3 (especially compared to this horrible video). This thing must be months old from the sounds of it.

Well I won't be there but I'm counting on a Hi-def video on Live. :)

oh and this link now takes you to where Scooby was pointing.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=439321&page=7

rabidrabbit said:
So the trailer that is shown for example in the latest 1UP show is all cgi???
Damn, I was hoping it was realtime as it looked good, and because I thought only Sony was misleading people with their Killzone cgi footage.

I dont think they ever said the original trailer wasnt CGI.

Kabbage said:
Well it is released whether they wanted to be or not and it looks ass.

So people should base their opinions of a game on whatever video gets leaked out at any point in the development cycle? Doesnt that sound like a waste of time to you?

Then how come there's the difference between that early trailer and the latest leaked footage in favour of the early footage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back