Ridge Racer 7 coming to PS3

Titanio

Legend
I mentioned this in the Square-Enix MMORPG thread, but since posting that it's basically been confirmed - Famitsu does indeed carry a two-page article on RR7 for PS3. There are scans in the neighbourhood, which I obviously won't link to, but the article is apparently light on detail anyway, and there are only a few environmental shots and the like. 14 player online racing as in number 6 is confirmed, and a couple of other sites are reporting that it's a launch title and will be playable at E3, although I haven't seen the usual suspects confirm that from the article. The article points to E3 for more details and information..

Not surprising at all, I guess, although a racer was not on Namco's list of untitled PS3 games announced at TGS. The proximity of 7 to 6 has me wondering how much of a difference there'll be between the two, but I guess we'll see at E3 - I've a feeling Namco might be trying to turn it into a much more regular series though :???:

Titanio said:
The proximity of 7 to 6 has me wondering how much of a difference there'll be between the two, but I guess we'll see at E3 - I've a feeling Namco might be trying to turn it into a much more regular series though :???:

Proximity?! One year isn't too short... Besides, there's not much to work with in the RR games... Slide here, slide there, turn left, turn right... They don't even have to make a lot of new tracks to make the usual 500k fans happy...

I suppose it's not playable at E3 as the article is only talking about the trailer ("Ridge Racer Vision 2010"). Also it's not clear if it's a launch title as one of the devs says "we would like to release it ASAP to show off the power of PS3".

According to the developers, they began the very basic development right after RR6 on Xbox 360 was done and they have been developing RR7 while making requests to SCE for certain PS3 spec and features like they did in Ridge Racer PSP development.

Last edited by a moderator:
london-boy said:
Proximity?! One year isn't too short...

For a Madden game, maybe ;) Seriously, Namco would definitely be upping the pace of new RR releases if another did hit this year.

Though one's translations suggest that may not necessarily be the case. Interesting stuff, thanks one.

one said:
According to the developers, they began the very basic development right after RR6 on Xbox 360 was done and they have been developing RR7 while making requests to SCE for certain PS3 spec and features like they did in Ridge Racer PSP development.

Any specifics on this? I am not familiar with the PSP, what sorts of requests did they make and what was granted to them, does anyone know?

avaya said:
Any specifics on this? I am not familiar with the PSP, what sorts of requests did they make and what was granted to them, does anyone know?

Yeah was about asking the same question.

london-boy said:
Proximity?! One year isn't too short... Besides, there's not much to work with in the RR games... Slide here, slide there, turn left, turn right... They don't even have to make a lot of new tracks to make the usual 500k fans happy...

I hope they make the racing more dynamic at least. Something like Scud Race. God I loved that game. Oh and bring the music and style of RR4 with super dooper quality graphics. And some nice jumps too.

IGN - The three developers didn't get too specific about what we can expect from RR7. Teramoto stated that thanks to the PS3's power, even with improved graphics, the system has juice to spare, which will be used for effects to help deliver a better feeling of speed and arcade-thrills. Teramoto let slip that the game will use Nitros, a system that was recently featured in the PSP and Xbox 360 games. Okubo addressed the game's sound component briefly by revealing that the game will support 5.1 sound.

Online support seems like it will exceed that of Ridge Racer 6. Namco is aiming for support up to 14 players Online at once. This is the same number as that of RR6, but Kobayashi believes that adding more players would be unnecessary. The team is planning on new Online play options that take the game beyond mere competitive play, with Teramoto revealing that something akin to cooperative play will make it into the game.

Players will be able to customize their cars and show them off Online, Kobayashi added. The game will have a massive set of options, with what appears to be at least 200,000 car possibilities.

Ridge Racer 7 will have a strong Offline component as well, of course. The main mode of play will offer more than 160 races. In addition, Namco is working time attack and single race modes into the title.
-aldo

200,000 car possibilities.
Interesting. So pretty much every car you play with online will have a different unique look.
I do hope they add more than just custom cars though, one extra year of extra dev time...seems like they can do a bit more.

Bad_Boy said:
Interesting. So pretty much every car you play with online will have a different unique look.
I do hope they add more than just custom cars though, one extra year of extra dev time...seems like they can do a bit more.

It will probably be like adding parts to a base car. I don't think there will be 200 base cars though unless they count base+parts as another base car.

True. You have a point. Btw, Looking at the scans of RR7, theres on shot that says "Orginal Drift Handling". Hopefully that means they are going back to the old style of drifting and not the PSP/360 drifting on rails version. :)

*not that the drifting on psp/360 is bad, i enjoyed it personally, but the old gameplay style actually took some *cough* ...skill.

The course graphics are from a technical test, other pics are from the E3 trailer
http://www.famitsu.com/interview/article/2006/04/21/668,1145589114,52074,0,0.html

h-668_52074_ridge0007.jpg.jpg

h-668_52074_ridge0008.jpg.jpg

h-668_52074_ridge0005.jpg.jpg

Hard to make out much from the shots.

Anyway if they're crappy they'll just be from a "sandbox demo" anyway, right?

Thanks for the links one!

The page also confirms 20+ unique tracks, 40+ mirrored - I think it says that's the most numerous in a Ridge game to date? I think it might also mention something about the number of unique car models, but amn't sure..

Gateway2 said:
Hard to make out much from the shots.

Anyway if they're crappy they'll just be from a "sandbox demo" anyway, right?
Can't be any worse than RR6.

edit:
co-op in a racing game is interesting, any speculation/info on how that may work?
street racing gangs/clans online racing each other? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back