Hands-on with Revolution in the next GameInformer - Ubisoft's Red Steel, aka "Katana"

The few that ive seen just show the gunplay with someone pointing the rev controller at the screen. Id like to see some with the sword, but if the gun aspect is the major component of the game then it seems like an update light-gun style game. The screens are 480p widescreen instead of 4:3 though which is good news.

These are apparently impressions on the controls from the article:

'the longer we played with it the more natural if felt, and the more quickly we mowed down the targets. strafing around the targets is incredibly easy, as keeping the controller pointed at the object, while you move around with the analog stick keeps you focused on the target. aim felt similar to using a computer mouse, as it is possible to quickly explore every direction in a three dimension space with quick gestures.'

Red Steel

Does anybody else think this could be a precurser to the final name?

The Nintendo RS

Similar to how DS games use those initials when naming their games? ;)

scooby_dooby said:
The screens look extremely good to me. There is no doubt that those are next gen screens.

Agreed, Looks very promising, can't wait to see it in action with the new controller..

*sees screenshots and faints*

It looks awesome in my opinion, artistically at least. Technically, there's barely any noticeable aliasing (touched up?), the textures look Chronicles of Riddick quality, and the poly count looks around Half-life 2 quality although it looks like they skimped on the character models a little because the environments curve flawlessly but you can see some awkward jaggies on the arms and feet of the characters.

Am I allowed to link to another forum where somebody took photos of the screenshots in the magazine? I had to wait half an hour from hearing about the game to being able to check on a computer and it was torture.:cry:

A couple more quotes:

“In many situations, there will be a higher-ranking enemy who commands the others in the area. By defeating him, and sparing his life, he will offer you his respect, and help. The enemies will surrender their guns, and the boss may offer you a new weapon, a special path, or another reward. Any time you spare an enemy, you will be rewarded. As it always takes more skill to spare a life, than to take itâ€￾

“Although the majority of Red Steel’s gameplay will stress ranged combat, there will be times you need to get up close, and personal. You can switch to the sword at any time, and if you can get close enough to an enemy, you can use it for one-hit stealth kills. In other moments you’ll find yourself locked into intense one-one sword duels.â€￾

Sword duels FTW!

Again just from looking at scans it's imposible to make any judgement on the technical strengths of the graphics.It looks nice and the art direction is good.
I like how you can twist your hand and have it effect the weapon. Also note the sensor has been redesigned on the REVmote.

nintenho said:
It looks awesome in my opinion, artistically at least. Technically, there's barely any noticeable aliasing (touched up?),
I noticed that, it looks almost too smooth. Also it has nice particles. 1T-SRAM working there?

There you go Rur0ni. And superguy, it says that either you chose not to accept PMs or that it was disabled for you.

one said:
I noticed that, it looks almost too smooth. Also it has nice particles. 1T-SRAM working there?

I'm still thinking Fragment Anti Aliasing (16 x FAA) like Matrox GPU's had.

Back