VF5 gameplay movies (arc)

Man, that was awesome... I get chills watching a new VF game, even if it appears like the same exact gameplay as always XD My favorite fighting series...

oh, yeah, nice shadowing & lighting, heh... ^_~

Now to me, I look at these and think to myself how important next-gen animation is. This is current gen fighter but with fancy graphics. I look forward to the first fighter to push the envelope in the animation department and get past these abrupt changes between mocapped sequencies. Is no-one else struck by that?

Shifty Geezer said:
Now to me, I look at these and think to myself how important next-gen animation is. This is current gen fighter but with fancy graphics. I look forward to the first fighter to push the envelope in the animation department and get past these abrupt changes between mocapped sequencies. Is no-one else struck by that?

Well, it noticed a few animation hiccups, but I thought that the animation had improved in comparison to current gen fighters.

Shifty Geezer said:
VF has never really had a particularly realistic fighting engine.

Soul Calibur IV should be quite a looker, though, if it is programmed from the ground up for PS3/360.

Shifty Geezer said:

Those abrupt animation changes are most probably gameplay related (they occur mostly on counter, floats and on the bounce), rather than inablitiy to interpolate smoothly over different mocapped sequences. Either they slow down the game, to incorporate those inbetween, or run and display the game at higher frame rate like several times the rate they're running now, or use motion blur for those sequences. Slowing the game down, would probably an option, even though I don't like it. They would make online viable too if the game is say DOA slow. Higher rate is probably not an option at the moment, and motion blur is despise by most players.

Very nice cloth/hair animations imo. I'm more of a tekken + mortal kombat fan myself, but this does look pretty good. I wonder if any extra features does go into the game when transfered to ps3 or whatever, like the motion blur mentioned above.

Shifty Geezer said:

Gosh Shifty... Sure VF isn't perfect, but it has to be the best animated fighter i've ever seen.
You have to remember that although perfectly realistic physics are nice and all, in terms of gameplay they don't always work. Those "cuts" through animations are needed for gameplay purposes: if you had to wait for the animation to finish, and for the character to "realistically" change position smoothly to counter, everyone, you included, would be screaming about how "unresponsive" and "slow" the game is. I mean... Have you noticed how bloody fast the game is? That's how VF plays, it's fast as hell and needs perfect timing, which sometimes overrules the need for perfectly realistic animation transitions.

That's the problem with most videogames today, to be playable, they can't be 100% realistic, and i don't think they should.

Indeed this could probably become the best fighting game ever.

The flow of the fighting scenes is unmatched. Its like watching a movie. The animation is probably the best I ve ever seen in a fighting game. Kicks the shit out of DOA4 in every aspect.

london-boy said:
Gosh Shifty... Sure VF isn't perfect, but it has to be the best animated fighter i've ever seen.

That's the problem with most videogames today, to be playable, they can't be 100% realistic, and i don't think they should.
Well fighters aren't my scene, so I'm looking at this from a graphics perspective rather than gaming perspective. What jars me is that a character is in mid move, gets hit, and suddenly the anim chops to a different mocap scene, just like Tekken since forever. I'd like to see a game where as you catch them mid swing, the response is realistic. And then you could use dodges to throw off the opponent's balance, adding skilled but open ended timing to defenses. But then maybe that would make for the worst actual gameplay ever in a fighter? Not how I imagine it, but then what I'd like to play might be very different to what most fighter enthusiasts want to play.

Shifty Geezer said:
But then maybe that would make for the worst actual gameplay ever in a fighter? Not how I imagine it, but then what I'd like to play might be very different to what most fighter enthusiasts want to play.

That's my point. Thankfully SEGA and Namco know how to make fighters, and have decades of experience, so i guess we can safely say that the animations need to be cut sometimes for gameplay reasons.

I think most of the gameplay choices of today's VF's and Tekken's are largely dictated by what the hardcore experts demand: change the slight timing in VF's combat and you'd have a revolution in Japan, with all the insanely expert VF4 players not able to do their mojo on VF5. I know something similar happened with the transition from and to VF3. Lots of people went bonkers because there was an ever so slight timing difference. Way over my head but i guess it's important to the fans of the series.

Also, Shifty, VF is not mocapped, I believe. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that all the movements are hand-made.

predicate said:
Also, Shifty, VF is not mocapped, I believe. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that all the movements are hand-made.

I'm pretty sure all the movement are mo-capped and also hand-tuned, like most other mo-capped games.
A 100% hand-made animated VF would be Dante's Inferno to complete, while a 100% mo-capped one would be too messy and disjointed and would need some (lots?) of hand-tuning.

Nesh said:
Indeed this could probably become the best fighting game ever.
Don't count the next Tekken out. After playing tekken 5, I cannot wait to see what Namco does with more power. ;)

But yes, VF5 does look like damn good fun.

Bad_Boy said:
Don't count the next Tekken out. After playing tekken 5, I cannot wait to see what Namco does with more power. ;)

But yes, VF5 does look like damn good fun.

Not only that, but it seems Tekken will at last be the top fighter this time around, tech-wise, if the arcade is based on PS3 tech... That will be interesting, as VF has always been the best fighter technology-wise in the arcades...

Back