Geforce FX 3DMark03 benchmarks?

Either the FX architecture (or drivers?) is very inefficient, or Radeon 9700's larger bandwidth is having a bigger impact on shader performance than most of us anticipated.

Even a Radeon 9700 vanilla scores much higher than the GF FX at roughly the same bandwidth... I'm not so sure that bandwidth has much to do with it... The differences in PS 1.4 speed between the Radeon 9700 Pro and Radeon 9700 are greater than the differences between the GeForce FX Ultra and the GeForce FX, so I'm thinking its perhaps the drivers or architecture that is holding it back. Considering the awesome performance of PS 1.1 tests on the GF FX, I'm hoping its the drivers.

surfhurleydude said:
Pixel Shader 2.0 for the GF FX seems VERY low... TOO low as a matter of fact... is PS 2.0 for the GF FX broken in the drivers or something? Hell, in almost every other previous PS test I've seen the GF FX SOLIDLY outperforms the Radeon 9700 Pro..

more like Nvidia is cheating somewhere in the drivers to get the performance increase from the original driver to the "updated" version

If you look at the tests (I'm doing Original Vs updated btw)

@ 1024 X 1048
-Game Test 4 - 18.7 vs 30.7 (64% increase)
-PS 2.0 - 12.0 vs 15.5 (29% increase)

@ 1280 X 1024
-Game Test 4 - 15.2 vs 21.2 (39% increase)
-PS 2.0 - 10.1 vs 12.6 (24% increase)

@ 1600 X 1200
-Game Test 4 - 12.3 vs 21.0 (71% increase)
-PS 2.0 - 8.5 vs 10.6 (25% increase)

While FPS for Game 4 blew up... PS 2.0 (Which is GT4) didn't vary by a huge degree. Where did they get these HUGE increases in the game but not in PS2.0 when both tests should be interrelated?

surfhurleydude said:
Where have you been? Every test we've seen here has been pretty much the opposite. The 3D Mark PS 2.0 test is consistent with other DX9 shading benchmarks.

The big question is PS 1.4.

What changed in the GeForce drivers between revisions? Changed fp precision? Running in PS 1.1 (integer) vs. PS 1.4 (fp) mode?

Every test I've seen shows the GF FX lose badly in VERTEX shader performance, but not DX 8 Pixel Shader performance...

did you somehow manage to forget the APS result in Anands review?

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1779&p=6

surfhurleydude said:
No, I did not...read my post in response to Joe asking whether I was talking about PS 1.1 or PS 1.4, then my post before this one :)

aah yes sorry missed that - I was working on 'Geforce' in APS uses 1.1, doh! Brainfart

Back