Crossfire Super AA vs. SLI AA

Two things about the HL2 shots:

Firstly, there is a major difference between the two if you look at the targeting reticle, which is reverse of the difference with the power lines: Nvidia's reticle looks softer and thinner than ATI's.

Secondly: What is up with that large grey boudler clump in the mid-right of the frame? Both cards having problems with the geometry or something? Both appear to be screwing up something there.

radeonic2 said:
ya it would be nice to see how the powerlines are supposed to look.
Err, a screenshot without AA certainly won't give you that information.
If you want to know how it's supposed to look, you have to ask Valve, because even a screenshot with 256xSSAA doesn't tell what color/gamma space the colors are supposed to be in.

Apple740 said:
I don't hope that Ati makes a "hobby" of "missing things", this doesn't look good too

AoE3

X1800XT: http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fsaahdr9bb0xy.jpg

6800U: http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=age320060129001438739ae.jpg

Not sure if this is already solved with newer drivers or something, saw these on Nvnews
Nothing is missing at all. The ATI shot has AA applied. As you can see, things have been filtered. The NVIDIA shot doesn't have AA and thus shows aliasing.

damn thats alot missing stuff, what are the two cards?

Ogl guy might be on the spot, looks like LOD's are different.

Actually take a look at the building on the right side going back, the white tower with the top going off the screen. The canon in front and flags are missing and the plants and thier pots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Razor1 said:

Actually take a look at the building on the right side going back, the white tower with the top going off the screen. The canon in front and flags are missing and the plants and thier pots.
ya.. how could you have missed that OGL guy?
There should be an investigation into these lod isues.

Razor1 said:

No one else noticed that the images where taken at different times? The ATI shot says "Level 1" and "XP 0" the NVIDIA shot says "Level 7" and "XP 84546". Who knows if the game renders things differently depending on game progression?

All I can say is that the plants are filtered on ATI because AA is on, but not on NVIDIA.

Razor1 said:

I miss some shadows too, from the tree projected on the water. Plus shadows on buildings are more intense in the Nv shot.
Seriously, except for the better AA and better filtering in some places the Ati shot looks like crap imo.

Apple740 said:
I miss some shadows too, from the tree projected on the water. Plus shadows on buildings are more intense in the Nv shot.
Seriously, except for the better AA and better filtering in some places the Ati shot looks like crap imo.
So what makes you think this is ATI's fault? The game has different rendering paths for NVIDIA and ATI, maybe the problem lies there?

OpenGL guy said:
So what makes you think this is ATI's fault? The game has different rendering paths for NVIDIA and ATI, maybe the problem lies there?

True. But this is the second set of Ati screenshots (first was HL2) in one week where i miss things. I hope this is the end and not see something more soon...

hmm is ATi running the same sm 3.0 path as nV's. Doesn't look they are

That's what i'm wondering too. Maybe it takes the sm2.0 (R3/4xx) path? If i remembered correctly this was an issue with SCCT too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Im not mistaken, the HL2 shots are because AF was forced thru the drivers, not thru the game.

In AoE3, they sure look like they are set to differnt LOD settings, and as mentioned, different time of day/etc. Not to mention a different rendering method for each card.

Looks to me like you're trying too hard to find a problem.

When you advance in the game, there are bonuses to improve the appearance of your main city as those flags, cannons and people. That's not a LOD problem.

Kynes said:
When you advance in the game, there are bonuses to improve the appearance of your main city as those flags, cannons and people. That's not a LOD problem.
Yay! A voice of reason! :D

Back