I have seen Doom3 (nt)

Rev didn't get his face pic in Serious Sam cuz he's Not Serious Enoughâ„¢. Sorry, had to register just to say that. ;)

Rev:

John Carmack dissed NVIDIA by writing in his .plan update today with something I agree with -- "Don't buy a GeForce4 MX for Doom." Hell, I'd fix that to say don't buy a GeForce4 MX, instead get a GeForce3 Ti200.

Echo:

You know, my mom always said that if you can't say something nice to someone, you shouldn't say it at all. :p

Matt:
John Carmack dissed NVIDIA by writing in his .plan update today with something I agree with -- "Don't buy a GeForce4 MX for Doom." Hell, I'd fix that to say don't buy a GeForce4 MX, instead get a GeForce3 Ti200.

I´d fix that to say don't buy a GeForce4 MX, instead get a GeForce3 Ti200 while you can. Nvidia is discontinuing the GF3 :cry: , probably GF4MX is cheaper to produce and they will make more money confusing people with the new name.

Edit: Pointlessness removed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveBaumann on 2002-02-14 16:10 ]</font>

Echo: I’ve mentioned before that personal attacks are not appropriate for this forum, whether it be on one of our users or staff. Please refrain from it in the future – if you wish to speak to someone then use personal messaging.

echo, if I'm "overrated", it's not my fault, is it? BTW, what am I overrated for?

I directly quote developers out of courtesy, respect and not wanting to sound like I'm the one saying things which I never said in the first place. Quoting developers directly tells the public about a developer's opinion... a developer's opinion doesn't necessarily, um, echo mine. But I quote them anyway because it lets the public know what a developer thinks of a specific topic. The developer makes his game, not me... if his opinion provides some insight to the public about that particular game, I've done part of my "job".

Next point : If VisionTek sends me anything and I write either an article or review about it at B3D, who do you think could benefit from it? B3D has staff that have 9-5 jobs... not all of them can afford buying every new video card out there to provide people like you and the rest with reviews or articles based on first hand experience. Sadly, B3D is not in a position like Anand or Tom or various fansites. So if I have to do some PR (demeaning or not) for B3D to get "free" hardware, so that B3D can provide articles and reviews, do you think that is wrong? Try running a smallish website like B3D with a community that always want more reviews and articles. echo, grow up or at least try to understand what it is like running a website where there are others involved.

FWIW, I never approached VisionTek - they approached me in the first place, with a GF2 GTS, the board of which I told them to send to Wavey (when Wavey was rather new at B3D) for Wavey's first online video card review. Go ask VisionTek why they approached me... if it is because I've been overrated by people I don't know and it came to their attention or if they saw value in my previous writings prior to them approaching me, I don't know... I just know that I did my job for my site(s).

Wavey, while typing out this reply, I see that you've deleted echo's post. Don't delete this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reverend on 2002-02-14 16:31 ]</font>

I give Reverend enough grief at times (jokingly), so I feel compelled to write this post.

No one, online or in print, writes more objective and useful reviews for the gaming community than Anthony.

Please John, don't give more fuel to echo with all this overrating stuff.

Of course, you'd seldom say anything bad about me now, given you new position at this site'o'love. Hehe... :smile: ;)

s'pretty bad that nvidia is going to replace the $150 gf3ti200 with the gf4mx. (atleast until the gf4 ti4200 is out) I mean, I got my gf3 ti200 for $99 from best buy, and it's a better card. That's messed up. Is ATI releasing a lowend part that does support pixel/vertex shaders? Would be a good PR move being able to show your lowend part cleaning up over the competition on anything DX8.

Nite_Hawk

It is now $132 (see pricewatch).

Probably the GF4MX has only 60% of the die size and much better yields. The GF4MX will be a big money maker. IIRC the expression is Milking the Cow, right?

This is a real opportunity for ATI.

I agree, if ATI releases a mainstream DX8 part that's cheap and dumped on the market in plenty amounts, it would essentially yank the rug right out from under NVIDIA. The timing would have to be right though.

I directly quote developers out of courtesy [snip]

I can't disagree with that. Too often though, writers would like to defer to developers or IHVs. But another reason is that you are not quite at the level to distinguish comments that are of significance from novice developers. Instead of substituting intelligent analysis with redundant screen captures, I would suggest that you follow the directxdev, gdalgorithms and opengl devs mailing lists to improve yourself.

FWIW, I never approached VisionTek - they approached me in the first place, with a GF2 GTS, the board of which I told them to send to Wavey (when Wavey was rather new at B3D) for Wavey's first online video card review. [snip]

Good, you should do that! Dave Baumann has the ability to articulate his thoughts in clearly and concisely. However his articles are didactic and not exactly ground breaking.

Kristof is the most outstanding amongst b3d, but between 2000 and 2001, there's been nothing worthy of mention. I noticed that he has dropped the 'power vr developer relations' from his title. I would not be surprised if he is starting to concentrate full-time on b3d. hmmm ...

You're right, echo. I haven't coded for a long time and am out of touch (or rather not quite as up to date) with the latest base developments. Right now, (lack of time, and priorities) preclude "improving myself" in the 3D graphic arena. But I think I can still hold my own in certain respects :smile:. It's not really an "inferiority complex" because I quote folks that live and breath 3D (developers, that is), it's because I don't want to make mistakes and I don't have the time to "update" myself.

Wavey (Dave Baumann... use Wavey for him... Dave is such a common name and we have 2 of them here :smile: ) *is* good... that's why I brought him on to B3D. I had objections bringing him onto the team (actually just from one B3D member)... you know, him being a 3dfxgamers mod at the time, looks to be a real "3dfx guy" and all, which means "biased"... but I followed his messageboard posts for a while and made the decision. I have absolutely no doubt he'll make B3D a better site than I was able to. As for being not exactly being "original" or "surprising", this takes time.

No one will dispute the fact that Kristof is the most 3D-savvy amongst the B3D staff. Between 2000 and 2001, well, we didn't really have a site, did we? :smile: He does have his priorites though, and understandable ones at that (i.e. his career). Whatever K has to contribute to the site, it will always be a good one and usually an eye-opener. But if he writes an article clearly declaring his loyalty to the company he works for and Wavey allows it to be published, I'll kick both their asses :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reverend on 2002-02-15 18:21 ]</font>

Back