Gizmondo scandal: Swedish convicted felons as directors of company!

Guden Oden

Legend
According to today's issue of Aftonbladet, biggest evening paper in Sweden, three swedes all belonging to the same gang that made themselves infamous in the early 1990s as the "Uppsala mobsters" are now to be found as high-ranking officers of company Gizmondo. Amongst their previous points on their CVs include trying to cheat the swedish postal giro system out of two and a half million US$.

For that and other stunts in the economic crimes sector, ex-con, now-director Stefan Eriksson (43) was sentenced to a sum of 10.5 years of jailtime. His salary yearly is now more than the embezzlement attempt would have pulled in.

Peter Ulf (42), got 8.5 years jailtime, he is also one of the executives of Gizmondo.

Johan Enander (46), the more physical person of the trio has multiple convictions under his belt, including assault, extorsion and 'violating the peace of the home' (meaning he likely bust into somebody else's place and threatened/roughed them up.) He got another jailtime stint in '03 for beating a woman, and was then immediately hired upon release to be the head of security at Gizmondo. Rather ironic, I'm sure most would agree. One can't help to wonder what "security problems" he deals with, and how he does it... ;)

So what are the chances Gizmondo is little more than a front for more or less openly criminal people to help themselves to capital investment money (much like that Roberts guy and all his startups like Infinum Labs, etc)? Seems to me, that chance is fairly high. Gizmondo has burnt around $200 million just this past year, with white-collar criminals at the helm...

The paper naturally sought comments from the parties involved, but nobody was interested in talking about it (now that's a surprise!) and instead referred to the PR division. Yeah, they'll need some good PR to wash this away I'd say. An implosion of the company would seem fairly imminent, I think. Particulary as they have no real strategy, nor chance to compete in the market.

Well i guess gangsters with $11K Gold Plated PSPs will have to update their luxuries possessionsand get The Ultimate Gangster gadget! :LOL:

I guess they scarpered to the UK to continue their dodgy-dealings? Still it paints their Colours game in an interesting light - gang warfare...

Look out for Gizmondo's cheap on eBay in a year's time

Hey, Rockstar might just cancel all other developments they have and go exclusive for the only truly gangsta videogame system out today!!!! :LOL:

It's no scandal, and several of them just happen to end up at the same young company full of investment capital? Oh no, hardly a coincidence there pal! ;)

Way I figure it, they saw this was a much better scam than any of the ones they pulled before and got caught because of, because THIS one is actually legal.

They're going to make a movie or two on this someday. This has to be one of the more bizarre stories in the history of gaming. How a couple of convicted felons managed to attract hundreds of millions of dollars in venture capital, teams of engineers, etc, and managed to build this product which everyone knew from the start was going to go down in flames is beyond me. Truly fascinating.

Newsflash!

Today, less than 24 hours after the news broke, it became known the three crooks have resigned their positions. The head of the company maintains that despite background checks, the numerous convictions of these three were completely unknown to them. Yeah, sure, if you say so bub... ;)

Curses! That might stave of the cheap bankrupt Gizmondo hardware for those interested. At least for a little while. The device has launched in the US now but we still have no official figures for sales. Only 'we're doing realy well. Fantastic even. We sell out of everything. Demand is really high.' Hmmmm....

Back