Things I liked and Disliked about America

Well I went a travelling, saw Colorado Springs, a tiny corner of New Mexico (Santa Rosa) and a little of Texas (Amarillo and Lubbock).

Cars (my mates 67 Chevy Impala and 65 Mustang rag top were cooooool)

Food (all good stuff if you aint a vegetarian)

Size of the roads :oops:

Cool coffee bars and places to hang out of an evening.

Beautiful scenary (in Colorado Springs)

Weather (Hot Hot Hot)

People (generally friendly and helpful)

Prices (we are ripped off in the UK)

The guns (woooooo, enjoyed shooting on the range)

Dislikes:

The toilets. (whoever invented a system where when you wipe your arse you dip your hand in used toilet water deserves to be shot)

The portion sizes (no wonder Americans are fat :rolleyes: )

The electrical plug sockets. They nearly always fall out and the multiway adaptors are a complete joke. 3 Pin UK plugs are the best by far, if a little bulky.

Long Long car trips. 7 Hours in a car followed by sun stroke is not my definition of fun

Great time though. Nice country. 8)

I shall return....

Ill do the dislikes. :)
PVR_Extremist said:
Dislikes:

The toilets. (whoever invented a system where when you wipe your arse you dip your hand in used toilet water deserves to be shot)
Huh? Either your not doing something right, or you were in the middle of nowhere and it was an outhouse or something crazy.
The portion sizes (no wonder Americans are fat :rolleyes: )
Yeah that pisses me off too. No such things as small anymore.
The electrical plug sockets. They nearly always fall out and the multiway adaptors are a complete joke. 3 Pin UK plugs are the best by far, if a little bulky.
Ive travelled to several countries and everyone has had plug sockets that were either not secure enough or too bulky. At some point we should come up with a universal plug that is very secure, and not bulky.
Long Long car trips. 7 Hours in a car followed by sun stroke is not my definition of fun
7 hours? thats it. :p Ive taken 36 hour car trips. This country is huge, and the public transportation system really needs to be modernized with high speed trains. Doubt that it will happen though, too expensive.

epicstruggle said:
btw, colorado springs is highly religious. Did you notice it? Just wondering.

epic

Since I went for the first week to a religious conference, yes I did !! :LOL:

RE: The toilets.

The standard latent level of water in the US bowls is TOO HIGH.

Youget what I'm saying??

PVR_Extremist said:

Youget what I'm saying??

Tru dat.
I have a recurring nightmare where I flush the toilet and it just keeps flushing out water until it's full and starts to spill over, so on a purely personal basis I strongly dislike those freakish american nightmare toilets.

PVR_Extremist said:
epicstruggle said:
btw, colorado springs is highly religious. Did you notice it? Just wondering.

epic

Since I went for the first week to a religious conference, yes I did !! :LOL:

Youget what I'm saying??

I have to squat if the water level is too high... don't wanna send the old guy swimming now do we(e)?

epicstruggle said:
PVR_Extremist said:
7 hours? thats it. :p Ive taken 36 hour car trips. This country is huge, and the public transportation system really needs to be modernized with high speed trains. Doubt that it will happen though, too expensive.

Thats what planes are for, the UK is perhaps too small for internal flights on the scale of the USA but it would benefit phenomenally from a train network that had more than an east coast mainline... and nothing else to the same standard.

Johnny_Physics said:
PVR_Extremist said:

Youget what I'm saying??

Tru dat.
I have a recurring nightmare where I flush the toilet and it just keeps flushing out water until it's full and starts to spill over, so on a purely personal basis I strongly dislike those freakish american nightmare toilets.
It's so the log floats, rather than slides down the side of the bowl. (or sits on a shelf like the german poop shelf).

RussSchultz said:
(or sits on a shelf like the german poop shelf).

Eh, those went outta fashion a few decades ago, for rather obvious reasons I think. I wonder if there is some sort of toilet scholar :?: or something who could explain who came up with those things in the first place and for what reasons.

epicstruggle said:
PVR_Extremist said:
Ive travelled to several countries and everyone has had plug sockets that were either not secure enough or too bulky. At some point we should come up with a universal plug that is very secure, and not bulky.

What's wrong with schuko -plugs used in (sensible parts of) Europe? I haven't had any problems with their secureness (is that a word?), except in outlets that are like 50 years old. Usually they feel almost too tight.

http://kropla.com/!f.htm

Just picked up a travel kit for our laptop for our trip to Her Britannic Majesty's realm. Damn, I'd forgotten how big those power plugs are. Thing is a freakin' lethal weapon --I know y'all don't have many guns; ever have any murders with those? ;)

At least this one came with a modem cord adaptor too. Probably won't use it, but I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat remembering trying to find one in Glasgow (eventually successful) in 1995. . .We'd thot we were "travel hip" by acquiring the power adapter before we went, then were nearly stymied by the phone cord.

Hey it definately beats having to take a piss when driving in Kansas. Though the place is empty enough you could probably stop alongside the road and use a farmers field. ;)

AC in cars is a must in the US. Heat strokes are a certainty without it. I heard they even fine those without AC in some southern areas in summer in the US. I suppose they arent very common in the UK? Even here in Canada lately we have had 45+c with humidity. Its bloody stifling.

Hottest June on record by far. They didnt just beat averages or even the last high scores by 1-2 degrees on the canuckian east coast so far... One environment canada scientist says we are set to beat last high score by 5c if not more adn average by a 'whole lot more'.

Back