28 days later (Zombie Movies)

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Yesterday they were showing "28 days later" on star movies, it was quite a scary movie. What other zombie movies are there (apart from RE)?

28 Days later, (excellent)
Day, of the Dead,
Night of the living dead,
Dawn of the Dead,

And ones which are comic,
Shaun of the Dead (very funny :)
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Evil Dead 3 (outstanding)
Chopper chicks in zombie town (a truly terrible movie).

CC.

You ahve to do the unholy trilogy .

Night of the living dead
Day of the dead
Dawn of the dead (original + remake )

Then you want evil dead 1+2 adn army of darkness , if you go looking for evil dead 3 they will laugh at you behind your back :)

ANd i dunno if it qualifies as a zombie movie but the live .... it has rodey piper (the wrestler ) killing bad guys . So bad its good ... though they may be aliens not zombies

Its not evil dead 3 . Its simply amry of darkness . Sam rami has said many times that it is not evil dead 3

Captain Chickenpants said:
Chopper chicks in zombie town (a truly terrible movie).

NOOOOO!!!! I'm now getting flashbacks! :oops:

This is an absolute shocker of a film! Quite possibly the worst film ever made......Apart from Rollerblade 7 that is.....

jvd said:
Its not evil dead 3 . Its simply amry of darkness . Sam rami has said many times that it is not evil dead 3
Whilst Sam Raimi's word should be final, I don't think anyone would laugh at you for calling it Evil Dead 3 as iit is clearly a sequel to Evil Dead 2 (which is not a Sequel to Evil Dead 1), and Sam Raimi' does not have final say as to what it gets called when released in different locations, that is down to the distributors in the different locations (as can be seen in the AKA list at imdb).

Still if Sam want's to call it Army of Darkness then that is fine by me :)

CC

New version of Dawn of the Dead is actually really good, one of the last years best suprises. And like mentioned, Shaun of the Dead is a funny one, but I think it works a little better if you're already familiar with other zombie movies.

fine fine , call it what you will , they will lauch at you

Oh also other scare movies are the hills are alive , last house on the left , canabile (sp?) holocaust , banned in the usa , had to import it from italy .

Shaun of the Dead, not only one of the funniest movies I've seen last year but also one of the best zombie movies I've seen of all time. :)

I really enjoyed it and highly recomend it.

A. They Live is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen. CRIPPLE FIGHT!

B. George A. Romero is coming out with the fourth ____ of the Dead movie this year, Land of the Dead. The plot makes the rest of his movies look normal--Pittsburgh is the last remaining human city (or at least that's what it was early on in production, because everything Romero does takes place in Pittsburgh), surrounded by giant walls and protected by a huge tank. Crazy guy takes over tank, good guy has to regain control while the zombies outside are "evolving." Apparently, George A. Romero is on crack.

C. IMDB just says that Cannibal Holocaust has no rating (assuming for the director's cut) but the original had a rating of X back in 1984. There are no "banned" movies in the US, just those that don't get distributed.

Re: Zombie Movies

Can't believe nobody mentioned Braindead yet. A classic Peter Jackson film....

The Baron said:
A. They Live is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen. CRIPPLE FIGHT!
I gotta agree, that movie slayed me the first time I saw it and I still smile anytime it's on and I happen to catch it.

"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Re: Zombie Movies

hupfinsgack said:
Can't believe nobody mentioned Braindead yet. A classic Peter Jackson film....

It was originally released under the name "Dead Alive" here in the states and had a slipcover that suggested NOTHING of the over the top goriness inside. I'm thinking they re-released it under its native name after that "Hobbits Big Day Out" movie? "I kick ass for the Lord!"

Also not mentioned is Return of the Living Dead, a mid-80's direct followup to the "Night of the Living Dead". It's not totally bad, decent enough, but the sequels to that one aren't worth mentioning.

Didn't realize until this post how few true Zombie movies there are, and of those few, nearly all tend to play on the ones that came before it. Shaun of the Dead requires a good working knowledge of the "___ of the Dead" series, "Evil Dead" series, and even 28 Days Later to catch all of the "inside" jokes in the movie. Shaun even uses Romero's "metorite" origin idea over of the "28 Days" and "Brain Deads" monkey virus origin idea.

Here's a stretch; Maximum Overdrive, is pretty much a "Zombie Truck" movie. Its based off the SK short story Trucks, that he got the idea for after watching some of the previously mentioned Zombie Movies. Instead of humans roaming around for brains, you have Trucks terrorizing people for gasoline. The Dawn of the Dead remake even uses the same "ending" idea as Maximum Overdrive had. "I'm sailing away, setting a course for the open sea.."

And the RE series, while full of eye-candy, flip tricks, and Milla Jovovich, sucks horribly as a Zombie Movie. All action, no Horror. 'Tis a shame.

28 days later was really great. Best zombie movie ever perhaps, zombies(human) were so frieghtening, mainly bec'se they were so fast. RE pales in comparison. Those London shots with empty roads were fantastic. How did they do it? Were those special effects, or did they shoot at night?

Deepak said:
28 days later was really great. Best zombie movie ever perhaps, zombies(human) were so frieghtening, mainly bec'se they were so fast. RE pales in comparison. Those London shots with empty roads were fantastic. How did they do it? Were those special effects, or did they shoot at night?

The DVD had a feature where they explained how they did it.
It was a mix of dawn-shots, closed roads and photo imaging.
Basically, the close shots were obtained through shooting very early in the morning (and it shows in the movie), closing roads when it wouldn't disrupt London too much, and the backgrounds, or the A1 (is it the A1? can't remember, u know, the highway when they go to Manchester) were just modified later.

Like, for the shot in Piccadilly Circus (where he sees all the pictures and messages from families looking for people), or when he's walking on a bridge (cant remember which one it is, i think it's London Bridge) they closed the proximity and then photoshopped the rest, cause cars were still passing by in the streets in the background.

Back