Ati wants to go shopping

Ok just a speculation i was having with a friend the other night,
Could it be possible that they are having wonderful success with Fast14 tecnology, and they don't want anyone else use it?
So wouldn't it be the most logical thing to go out and buy Intrinsity?

I don't have a clue what this is really about, but I'd rather watch Dave's reasoning a little closer:

DaveBaumann said:
This follows on from ATI's AGM last night. When you take this comment out of the report:

But the digital consumer is the area and there's a breadth of proximity markets ... that are interesting to us.

with this comment, apparently from the AGM:

How is ATi getting their name out - Orton answered by the company will be recgonized by being a leader in each of the above mentioned markets especially involving HDTV and Cell Phones.

Its more likely that it will not necessarily be limited to a traditional PC target IMO.

Now those who aren't familiar with what kind of IP Imagination Technologies overall delivers, should revisit their home site.

Example:

Imagination Technologies develops and licenses innovative silicon and software intellectual property (IP) for system-on-chip (SoC) devices targeting multimedia and communication applications.

Our PowerVR, Metagence and Ensigma divisions focus on IP generation. Each develops a fundamental technology family: PowerVR for graphics/display/video; META for RISC/DSP processing; and UCC for broadcast and consumer communications. These core technologies, and a range of supporting IP, are licensed to our partners worldwide.

Our IP is used in mobile devices, digital TV and radio receivers, in-car information and entertainment systems, PCs, arcade / gaming machines and games consoles.

In 2001 Jon Peddie Research said that if what he saw at IMG about MBX holds to be true, others will have to revisit their drawing boards. The question would be whether any analysts have visited IMG recently, if they were shown anything and what exactly and what they had to say afterwards and not necessarily in public.

Yes IMG is going to be expensive; reason more why the term "merger" showed up somewhere. If there should be some merit to all this we'll see what it exactly is about, only after any possible negotiations have been successful, there's no guarantee that negotiations will be successful either.

The repeating hints on mobile and digital devices make IMG IMHO one of the leading candidates and no not just PowerVR on it's own; it would be either the entire company or nothing.

***edit:

*ATI buys PowerVR to give ATI an edge over Nvidia which already has GigaPixel with their buyout of 3Dfx.

There's not a single sign apparently on anything tile based (let alone deferred rendering) on AR10, from what I've seen this far. If the question would be whether NVIDIA should have worked on existing IP (like GP-LP) and expand it, don't expect me personally to say no.

_xxx_ said:
Series 5 was sold to Babylon 5 and destroyed with it.

There's a SEGA arcade system in the works; wait for that announcement/presentation to see what aliens really fetched themselves.

Nappe1 said:
- PowerVR: could be, but I doubt it. somehow I just can't see PowerVR going to ATI. (this means, PowerVR being strongest contender so far on the list, because I am doomed. ;) )
so, most likely it is outside the graphics industry.

IMG is in fact in relative terms on the outside of the graphics industry; their IP for their SoC is IMO so strong connected between the 3 subdivisions that it will be fairly impossible to just separate on of them and let them go (hence IMO all of imgtec or nothing).

I've no idea in what respect you're supposed to be doomed, but since you have been asking repeatedly on what they might be working on, a recent "patent watch" returned just for example those two:

http://gb.espacenet.com/search97cgi...ips&SearchType=1&VdkVgwKey=GB2403115A

http://l2.espacenet.com/espacenet/viewer?PN=GB2400778&CY=de&LG=de&DB=EPD

You know, I heard NVIDIA is using Gigapixel tech to make a TBDR Rampage with WGF2.0 support! That's the new NV50!

The Baron said:
You know, I heard NVIDIA is using Gigapixel tech to make a TBDR Rampage with WGF2.0 support! That's the new NV50!

Pigs can fly after all LOL :LOL:

They will buy VIA and Beyond3D leaving SIS, PowerVR and XGI for nVidia.

The next major wave of consolidation will be when CPU-makers and GPU/core logic makers will merge. Only two or three players will remain on the chip market.

Something related to television and their CE division, I reckon, if at all.

My guess is they will fly down to texas and buy Vixs (founded by some ex-ATI'ers). They have some combo home media server + WLAN technology.

ANova said:
martrox said:
rwolf said:
They are going to buy bose and go into audio.

Actually, buying Bose is a good way to stay out of the audio industry! Just ask anyone with good ears! :rolleyes:

That rolleyes better be in relation to your own comment.

there's a saying amongst sound engineers / technicians in this country...
"if it's got no 'highs' and got no 'lows', it must be Bose" ;)

Back