Ati wants to go shopping

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Have you guys ever actually heard Bose stuff? Not that 5'' tall Wave radio, but any other, better stuff? You don't have a slightest idea.

_xxx_ said:

Have you guys ever actually heard Bose stuff? Not that 5'' tall Wave radio, but any other, better stuff? You don't have a slightest idea.
Yes, my old Yamaha NST 20's and JBL TLX 2's sound much better than my Bose speakers.

_xxx_ said:

yeah. unfortunately, as a gigging techie you sometimes come across crappy Bose arrays in venues ;)

I was looking thru the Orton interview for something else and came across this:

I've been very frustrated with the HDTV business for a couple of years here, when you look from the standpoint of our investment verses the market. When you look at where the market is today and you then think about winding the clock on two years from today where every TV in North America is going to ship HD ready and today there is only 3 Million sets, which could grow to over 30 Million sets in this period representing a 10X growth in two years. You have to think that ATI’s potential in that market is fantastic. In the short-term the wins we’ve had recently with handhelds and the growth of that platform is great.

It occurs to me that dynamic CEO's like Orton only put up with being frustrated for so long before they make a big move to get themselves unfrustrated --either giving up and moving on or a big new investment. One or the other.

deviantchild said:
_xxx_ said:

yeah. unfortunately, as a gigging techie you sometimes come across crappy Bose arrays in venues ;)

Strangely enough, the rest of the world seems not to agree with you and buys tons of expensive Bose gear. And pretty much everyone is happy with it.

I know that the sound you'll hear from Bose is always exactly what they wanted you to hear. I worked there for a year and I can ensure you it's all hand-tuned to sound just the way it does. Either you like it or hate it, there's nothing in between. I personally love it. Especially this.

_xxx_,
Check this out.
Banner1.jpg

This is getting offtopic, but I'm extremely sceptic about that Yamaha speaker.

The reason is the following:
They show pictures of using it for surround, but also using it in stereo mode for conventional CDs. In that situation the beam speakers only act as tweeters, and the woofers for midrange and lowrange.
If the beamspeakers are capable of doing more than just tweeters, you would certainly use that in stereo mode. So that leads to the conclusion that in surround mode those beamspeakers aren't capable of projecting midrange and lowrange frequenties either.
Which leaves me no doubt that the surround experience will sound a lot worse than a conventional setup.

And regarding Bose. That FAQ sums it up quite well. Listen yourself to Bose and compare it with a decent equally priced speaker from e.g. B&W and then you won't need to discuss it anymore.
(Because then you will also agree that Bose sucks ;) )

Just because there are quite a few people out there who actually buy Bose does it mean that they are a quality speaker. They fullfill an age old compromise (usually between the wife, and the husband). They fill the room with sound, are near invisible, and don't sound half bad . I've demo'd a fair amount of speakers and for the money that you pay for Bose there's much better to be had. :oops:

P.S. Back on-topic..... ATI bought a cable-modem company. :?
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21153

Tweaker said:
MasterBaiter said:
P.S. Back on-topic..... ATI bought a cable-modem company. :?
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21153

Hmm, this is that "something big" ?

It can be considered something significant in the cable modem industry.The company's called Terayon.I'm sure you've heard of it apart from Motorola if you're using cable broadband.Terayon is one of the best cable modem manufacturer in the world and they were one of the creators of the DOCSIS 2 standard.

mjtdevries said:
And regarding Bose. That FAQ sums it up quite well. Listen yourself to Bose and compare it with a decent equally priced speaker from e.g. B&W and then you won't need to discuss it anymore.
(Because then you will also agree that Bose sucks ;) )

More like just another case of "I hate them because they're popular." Bose may be expensive, and they may have a large marketting department, but their systems sound just as good as the competition. And almost all non biased reviews agree.

Back