MP3/SOUND ENCODERS question

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
I'm not exactly sure how legal it would be, but are there any programs that let you encode Mp3 files from any other format, including protected DVD movies (concerts)?

I'm sure i've heard something about this....

You can do pretty much everything with Sound Forge. You'd have to feed the protected content through some input from the outside (e.g. line-in) or rip it prior to converting, though.

Use Winamp's diskwriter plugin to output to wave, then encode with LAME. I wouldn't encode in anything but LAME for music files.

Heh, I rip my CDs to VBR WMA9 using MS Media Player simply because it's like a one click operation... Very convenient.

Heh, if you want something somewhat complex you can use Graphedit. Doubt thats what you are looking for but if you can play it in Windows Media Player and you have a DirectShow MP3 encoder (there is a lame directshow encoder so no issue there) you can record it to MP3 then in Graphedit.

Basically in graphedit you tell it to render the file you want to play and redirect the audio signal from wave out to an encoder and direct its output to a file (also want to get render of the rendering of the video if you are working with a video file).

Now this is only for those who are really crazy about doing everything in a very nit picky specific way with no real reason to do this for MP3 encoding (great though if you are trying to combine various streams into say an AVI file and there is no program to handle all the streams you want).

It's just as easy to set up EAC and use LAME to encode. The setup might take a little longer, but once you have it done you will get better quality audio.

EAC is the best audio ripper out there. You won't get perfect quality like this with any other ripper, including cdex or whatever else.
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

And of course, LAME:
http://mitiok.cjb.net/

Use --alt-preset to get optimal size/quality.

I use --alt-preset extreme to get VBR mp3s at about 256K, but --alt-preset standard is fine for most people.

Once it's set up, you just highlight the files you want to rip and encode and hit convert and it will do it all for you.

Except EAC is just audio CD's and he wants something for anything. Agreed though if you are ripping audio CD's that EAC is the way to go.

I'll try and see as I go home, I should have that software still installed. It could have been two or more separate softwares too, like first rip the AC3 sound, then convert it to WMV and from that to MP3....
I'm sure though that there must have been better solutions as to what I did.
maybe it was DVDShrink that I used... not sure if it able to do the MP3 part though...

Well as long as i can convert the sound feed from the DVD to a sound file, internally (without having to plug a DVD player tomy Line In), i'm cool.

Now that I think of it, I'm almost sure it wasn't DVD Shrink I used :oops:
Googling I found "Imtoo DVD Audio Ripper", the name sounds familiar and I think it's what I used.
There's a free trial download in their site, but I'm almost sure it limits the size of the file to something that is not very useable.

For converting DVD audio streams to mp3 I used DVD Decrypter to rip the audio and converted the ac3 file with Besweet to mp3.

It can be a bit confusing if you aren't used to these programs, but it is guaranteed to work.
There are some excellent guides on the matter over at http://www.doom9.org/ .

Thanks!!!
Cause i've Hullabaloo (Muse live) for quite some time as a birthday present, and other concert DVDs and i'd just love to just listen to it without having to play the DVD every time.

london-boy said:
Thanks!!!
Cause i've Hullabaloo (Muse live) for quite some time as a birthday present, and other concert DVDs and i'd just love to just listen to it without having to play the DVD every time.

That's a nice DVD you got there :)

_xxx_ said:
london-boy said:
Thanks!!!

That's a nice DVD you got there :)

Yep. Amazing, that's why i want it on Mp3 for quicker listening. Since i can't even put it in my HDD, being copy protected...

Back