More Nv-30 info & confirmed debut.

It seems that alex's info was right in that NV-30 will be debuting at this years Comdex.The Nv-30 will feature 8 pipelines with 2 tmu's each,DirectX 9 support, 256-bit DDR SDRAM memory, AGP 8x and a new memory controller to provide even higher memory bandwith.

Found the info here

"Remember that NVIDIA NV30 features 8 rendering pipelines with 2 TMUs on each one, DirectX 9 support, 256-bit DDR SDRAM memory, AGP 8x and a lot more technical innovations."

Remember? Remeber from what? As far as I know, the only thing presented so far has been a mass of rumors and speculation. What official statement are we supposed to be remembering? This looks like more speculation, though I doubt that it is inaccurate.

"I would like to point out that some Pixel and Vertex Shader features NV30 can offer are even better than provided by the target DirectX 9 platform."
Really? I seem to remember seeing some leaked DX9 specs that clearly showed features in excess of both the R300 and the NV30.

"Additionally, the next-generation VPU from NVIDIA offers some very efficient memory controller to provide even higher memory bandwidth..."
Silly me, I always though memory bandwidth was a function of memory clock and bus width, but what do I know? Perhaps they mean more effecient use of available bandwidth?

Seems like no one can write more than two sentences these days without mincing words, garbling terms, and throwing in a good helping of opinion or speculation.

Bah, I guess that's the way "news" has always been.

Really? I seem to remember seeing some leaked DX9 specs that clearly showed features in excess of both the R300 and the NV30.

PS3 & VS3 specification go beyond the hardware capabilities of R300 & NV30, but NV30 goes beyond the PS & VS2 specification.

Silly me, I always though memory bandwidth was a function of memory clock and bus width, but what do I know? Perhaps they mean more effecient use of available bandwidth?

Yes, more effecient use of available bandwidth, that's what they mean, a very complex method of occulsion culling.

alexsok said:
PS3 & VS3 specification go beyond the hardware capabilities of R300 & NV30, but NV30 goes beyond the PS & VS2 specification.
Then perhaps they should have made that distinction, instead of the blanket statement that the NV30 exceeds DX9 specifications, which is simply not true.

Then perhaps they should have made that distinction, instead of the blanket statement that the NV30 exceeds DX9 specifications, which is simply not true.

Well... I agree with u there, but as u know, DX9 specifications are still under NDA, so they probably didn't want to break it...

With 2 TMUs per pipeline, thus 16 TMUs in all, that would put NV30 up there with Matrox Parhelia, in terms of number of texture units. exellent if that is true. And also, the 256-bit bus, if actually true, is a HUGE relief.

NV30 basic configuration is not disappointing if this info pans out.

I will still probably hold off on the NV3X tech until the NV35 refresh. Its usually best to go for the refresh.

That said, NV30 looks SOLID. Not that R300/Radeon9700 isn't.

alexsok said:
Well... I agree with u there, but as u know, DX9 specifications are still under NDA, so they probably didn't want to break it...
I'm sorry, but that's a lame excuse. They probably know as well as anyone what the DX9 leaked specs look like, and saying that the NV30 exceeds them is just an outright lie. They didn't have to go into any detail about DX9... all they had to do was not make false statements. Leaving out that statement would have worked quite well, and I don't think that would break any NDA's. But no, just got to throw a little sugar on top... :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but that's a lame excuse. They probably know as well as anyone what the DX9 leaked specs look like, and saying that the NV30 exceeds them is just an outright lie. They didn't have to go into any detail about DX9... all they had to do was not make false statements. Leaving out that statement would have worked quite well, and I don't think that would break any NDA's. But no, just got to throw a little sugar on top... :rolleyes:

Well, you're right, they shouldn't have, but they did...

But remember that NV30 did in fact go beyond the initial DX9 specifications, but since the specs in the latest Beta 2 release were updated, maybe they were just unaware of the changes...

Either way, NV30 doesn't go beyond DX9 specifications and there is still some time till a hardware shows up that will be fully compliant with them.

alexsok said:
PS3 & VS3 specification go beyond the hardware capabilities of R300 & NV30, but NV30 goes beyond the PS & VS2 specification
At the risk of shooting myself in the foot (re my CineFX article), has the PS2 and VS2 specs been set in stone at the moment?

alexsok said:
At the risk of shooting myself in the foot (re my CineFX article), you mean to say that PS2 and VS2 specs are set in stone at the moment, alexsok?

alexsok said:
At the risk of shooting myself in the foot (re my CineFX article), you mean to say that PS2 and VS2 specs are set in stone at the moment, alexsok?

Back