Team Radeon rumours.....

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I just posted this up over at Team Radeon and since some of it was motivated by some PMs from some of the members here I thought I'd mention here also:

Over at Team Radeon I said:
Before I go any further, just let me say that I like this site and it's been doing all the things right so far and I ain't got no bitches or complaints with it...it's just there is an elephant hanging around the forums still that no one is talking about but we all know it is bloody there:

Who is Team Radeon? WHAT is Team Radeon? Who are the people behind the site and why?

Now, before anyone gets defensive or offended please let me point out that I am NOT trying to cause trouble nor make anyone uncomfortable...I'm just trying to actually address something that I've been seeing asked on other forums and that I have been getting a godawful lot of PMs about.

Again, I like this site and I am not trying to say there is anything sinister or bad; it's just since there is no info out there rumours are flying fast and furious. (And I added the "u" to rumors in an attempt to seem more European, did it work? ;) )

Top Rumors so far about the who the team behind Team Radeon is:

1. A bunch of rich kids who wanted to open an ATi fanboy website

This theory has a lot going for it. The whole "5 server start-up", the embarressed attitudes when questioned, and it seems the most plausible explanation. Me likes, but I don't like using the word "kids" because anyone capable of putting together and opening up a site like this has a lot more on the ball than I ever did as a youth. :)

2. It's a site by ATi to spread ATi fud and discredit/kill Rage3D

I like this one because it's all dark and conspiracy minded, but unfortunately it just doesn't hold up under examination. ATi is as clueless about Team Radeon as me and thee are, it's a mystery to them as well as us. :(

3. It's a site by nVidia to spread ATi fud.

I really like this one as it's not only dark and conspirital but it's got me favorite villains in the lead role, but again it's pretty easy to shoot it down. nVidia wouldn't be capable of opening a site about ATi and be cool about it, it just ain't there style.

Besides, Team Radeon seems to honestly like ATi stuff....I discount this rumor too.

4. It's an offshoot of nVnews started up under an alias because MikeC is hedging his bets.

This one cracked me up when I got it and I only include it for the giggle it gave me. ;)

Anyone heard any other good ones lately?

This is what I heard...

Team Radeon is a site funded and directed by a guy called Keyser Soze.

Gee, Digi, I heard that *you* started it so that you could then start a bunch of rumors about who really started it and what they are up to. . .

. . .you know you'd do something like that just for grins and giggles.

geo said:
Gee, Digi, I heard that *you* started it so that you could then start a bunch of rumors about who really started it and what they are up to. . .

Hmmmm, now that is an interesting rumor.... ;)

geo said:

Aha, so this thread is all a smokescreen.... It all makes sense now...

digitalwanderer said:
geo said:

Hmmmm, now that is an interesting rumor.... ;)

:oops: Digi is Keyser Soze! :oops:

Three cheers, and let's hope Team Radeon can do for ATI what Team OS/2 did for IBM!

TeamRadeon is ElmoIsEvil, who works... at ATI.

Here's what Elmo said on X-3dfx (http://p197.ezboard.com/fx3dfxfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=17475.topic&start=101&stop=120):

Got some info...

I haven't yet received an email from John CArmack but I did receive an email stating he's reviewing my question..

As for ATi's response..

Hi Richard - this is a non issue - Doom 3 isn't even available yet, and we
all know that some of our competitors use partial precision where possible.
We expect to have updated drivers available in the coming weeks.

Chris
Chris Hook

And here's what TeamRadeon says:

One of our staff contacted ATI to inquiry about the highly debated Doom 3 benchmarks that were recently released, here is what was asked:

"I'm just emailing you because I have alot of confused gamers from both Team Radeon and x-3Dfx about what's really happening in Doom3. What they've been presented paints a relatively poor picture on the x800 Pro and x800 XT PE prompting many fellow gamers (about 400 on Team Radeon and 300 or so on x-3Dfx) to question wether or not they should cancel there pre-orders."

ATI response:

"Hi Richard - this is a non issue - Doom 3 isn't even available yet, and we all know that some of our competitors use partial precision where possible. We expect to have updated drivers available in the coming weeks."

Chris Hook

Dang good find xGL! :D

But "ElmoisEvil" is NOT "Team Radeon". TR I think is Team Radeon's generic newsposting name that all the Team members (the staff at TR, but not the mods) post under for stories.

ElmoisEvil was hired on as a mod there along with Gandalfthewhite and TheEnd I believe, they didn't start the site up.

But I liked this quote from that board, and it is a neat find of EiE's homepage. ;)

ElmoisEvil at that site linked above said:
*cough*... k I told ya all about OpenGL rewrite drivers and that the 8.05's would not be those used in the upcoming Cat 4.8 or 4.9's.. you didn't believe me.. well I use them at work but still... I figured maybe if you got it fromthe horses mouth you'd believe me.

if you really want to be a part of something mysterious in HW3D community, it's time to get yourself as a member of AF3DE (alias BBSP)

It's the one and only multi manufacturer insiders secret club, that is nowhere and still everywhere and this non-existant group of ppl have been teasing you under several handles/nicks since summer 2001 here as well as in many other forums.
Originally started as a email discussion group about news from certain company's products that couldn't discussed openly. Operations included IRC-channel, email list system, ICQ active list and even SMS between the core team during the best times. More than 5 products from more than 3 manufacturers have been specsed at least 2 months, sometimes even half a year, before launch. Nowadays the group isn't as active as it used to be, but still most of the members are pretty respected members on several boards in the net.

How to get membership? no idea. there's no member that would reveal how he got in.

BBSP / AF3DE!
- We are noone and we are everywhere, Since June 2001. ;)

Back