Euro 2004 Portugal

Deepak said:
Span vs Greece - 1st half was pathetic and boring.
BTW, why do only english fans indulge in hooliganism?? :rolleyes:

This may come as news but football-related violence in Europe isn't confined to the English:

There is enough evidence, however, to show that football-related violence is by no means an exclusively ‘British Disease’, and that some European countries – the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Italy in particular – currently experience problems of football-related disorder comparable with those found in the UK.

http://www.sirc.org/publik/fvcross.html#_VPID_41

You know, i really don't get those freaking idiots. It's just like they all got a madness pill and rioted for no apparent reason. Apparently it's not really connected to football, that's just an excuse.
I must say, England is a much more violent (in terms of "violent people") than any country i've been in, and i still havent' figured out why. THANK GOD the guns situation is not like it is in the USA. That would be the end.

To be honest, I think the British drinking culture is a big part of the problem.

Oh well, at least one of the main English offenders has got 2 years imprisonment. Serves him right, and hopefully will act as a deterrent to the other morons.

But Germans and neighbours drink just as much.. And in the end it's the root of the problem that i can't figure out. Why is it that brits feel the need to get so drunk that they either collapse or start beating people up? I just don't get it. And i've been here long enough...

Crisidelm said:
That's because they don't hold anymore an Empire they'll fight for.

That's no real excuse. No-one apart from Americans have an empire they'll fight for anymore. But i don't see the same kind of behavious from Italians, to name one...

I think there are three main problems - alcohol, nationalism and the pack mentality. Sadly football brings out all three.

The Italians don't hold a fame for being good at conquering (well, at least since the time of Rome "caput mundi"). On the contrary...
The French had an Empire for simply too little time for even realizing...
The Spanish lost it too long ago...
The British have had it for long enough, and not yet completely given up on it (see all the countries that still are "under the Queen"): besides, Great Britain has a long story of battles, neverending fights and wars, even civil. I'm not saying this to "excuse" hooligans or such people, but I'm trying to find a reasonable explanation...

Nationalism is definately an explanation, however i believe that nationalists are everywhere. Italians nationalists don't go around doing the stuff brits do, french ones are too busy nagging to do that, spanish ones are too busy sleeping, germans going around in leather trousers and have S&M sex in clubs..........

It's not just a matter of nationalistic mentality: once you had an empire, what do you need to master a big, big Empire? A big, strong army. What do you do to build a big strong army? You breed the youth to be brave, bully, always ready to fight, everywhere at any time, on purpose. And you do that for a long time...then, all of a sudden, you give up your Empire...what happens? What will the youth do? Just lay back and enjoy?

Crisidelm said:
It's not just a matter of nationalistic mentality: once you had an empire, what do you need to master a big, big Empire? A big, strong army. What do you do to build a big strong army? You breed the youth to be brave, bully, always ready to fight, everywhere at any time, on purpose. And you do that for a long time...then, all of a sudden, you give up your Empire...what happens? What will the youth do? Just lay back and enjoy?

Heh... A normal person would, yeah.. But not the brits! :LOL:

hupfinsgack said:
Diplo said:
thop said:
i guess the euro is over for totti.
It better had be - he is an utter disgrace. The tackle was bad enough (should have been sent off) but the spitting was just pure nastiness. He should be sent home immediately. o_O

Totti is probably going to be banned for 3 matches, so that he can play in the semifinals if italy will be able to reach them.

I am a fucking medium! Kneel down and praise my supreme mental abillities! Totti banned for 3 games. :D

I have one thing to say

Well maybe more than one.. well actually one thing many times. Without further ado.

ENGERLAAAND ENGERLAAAND ENGERLAAAAAAAAAAAAND! ENGERLAND ENGERLAND ENGERLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND.. engerland engerland englerlaand, EN GER LAND!!!!!

:D

oh and

IM ENGLAND TIL I DIE, ENGAND TIL I DIE, I KNOW I AM, IM SURE I AM, IM ENGLAND TIL I DIE!

sytaylor said:
I have one thing to say

Well maybe more than one.. well actually one thing many times. Without further ado.

ENGERLAAAND ENGERLAAAND ENGERLAAAAAAAAAAAAND! ENGERLAND ENGERLAND ENGERLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND.. engerland engerland englerlaand, EN GER LAND!!!!!

:D

oh and

IM ENGLAND TIL I DIE, ENGAND TIL I DIE, I KNOW I AM, IM SURE I AM, IM ENGLAND TIL I DIE!

LOL! You know with all the noise that's being made about that game you'd think we'd beaten Brazil!

'Twas a poor game IMO, the major positive I take from it was that Heskey didn't come on, so maybe, just maybe, that plank has played his last for England. (Well, I can dream! :D)

The result in the other match shows a) that Croatia are certainly well capable of beating England on Monday, and b) that France are not the clear favourites to win the championship that many (including myself) thought they were.

Interesting times!

"Job Done" sums it up. We played horribly at times but ground out a fantastic result, and have an excellent chance. England are at their best when they start slow.

Deepak said:
France 2 - Croatia 2. :oops:

Well, the French system is screwed at the moment. Zidane is placed far too left, as a result he's always trying to pull in the middle and thus their left side is more or less rendered useless. He needs to be placed right behind Henry and Trezeguet in the centre. Plus he's definitely showing signs of exhaustion.

Moreover, the goals were all shot after big mistakes of the defenders. It was a thrilling game but not at a very sophisticated level. It might be very early but i don't think France is the team to beat in order to win the cup.

Croatia wins vs. England and Swiss vs. France, then England and France are both out :D

France had luck again. Their second goal yet again after a big blunder (like in the england game), and croatia didn't score a 100% shot in the 91st.

Few games later ... Czech - Holland 3:2! One of the best games i saw in the last years! Just excellent.

If you know someone who doesn't like football show him that game :) Truly for the gallery.

thop said:
Few games later ... Czech - Holland 3:2! One of the best games i saw in the last years! Just excellent.

If you know someone who doesn't like football show him that game :) Truly for the gallery.

Truly awesome! Dick Advocaat better get a bodygard after he took Robben out! And the shot Nedved had on the bar would have the goal of the tournament.

Back