Euro 2004 Portugal

Ah finally..

Seeing as how I have missed the other great games of the tourney so far socializing, Sweden's display of power was a worthy comeback for me..
Germany vs. the Netherlands, anyone?

Kjetil

Damn that ebay auction is funny. :D

As for the Portugal-Greece game ... I can't believe Portugal played such crap. That first goal was given and the second.. well it was a penalty. :(

Now only if the coach would actually allow Ronaldo to play a full 90 min. game.

Unknown Soldier said:
Now only if the coach would actually allow Ronaldo to play a full 90 min. game.
What would that have changed? He is a technically excellent player, but whenever he played a cross it simply didn't arrive anywhere even NEAR where Pauleta or Gomez were standing... ;)

Good game today. I expected the German team to play a lot worse, I guess most people did. ;) The Dutch seemed insecure and were way too slow and static for most of the time. Both goals were kinda lucky, so the draw is deserved for both teams, although Germany seemed a bit stronger overall. The draw could very well mean either Germany or the Netherlands won't make it to the quarter finals, will be interesting to see how the next games in this group turn out!

Yeah Germany was a bit better overall, but 1:1 is fair. This is gonna be the most interesting group.

Don't know what's wrong with Italy. They haven't been competitive for the last 20 years or so, apart from a couple of occasions here and there.... And we're always in the top 3 most favourable to win! :?

I think Italy's problems is that they don't have proven matchwinners at international level. Look at Zidane in France's first game and how he turned it around with a couple of touches - Italy (among other countries) have players with that kind of potential, but they never live up to that potential at this level.

Italy were crying out for a moment of genius from someone in their first game to give them an all-important goal, but it never happened. Sometimes just hard work and good organisation isn't enough.

Druga Runda said:
where was Roberto Baggio when you need him :)

Awwwww that poor man... Italian football has never been the same since he went down. And all for a missed penalty against Brasil in the '94 World cup final...

Gosh i do know my football! Who'd have thought... :LOL:

That was the worst penalty in living memory.

* Remembers Chris Waddle's penalty in the semi-final at Italia '90 *

I stand corrected - That was the second worst penalty in living memory. :p

thop said:
i guess the euro is over for totti.
It better had be - he is an utter disgrace. The tackle was bad enough (should have been sent off) but the spitting was just pure nastiness. He should be sent home immediately. o_O

Span vs Greece - 1st half was pathetic and boring.
BTW, why do only english fans indulge in hooliganism?? :rolleyes:

Diplo said:
thop said:
i guess the euro is over for totti.
It better had be - he is an utter disgrace. The tackle was bad enough (should have been sent off) but the spitting was just pure nastiness. He should be sent home immediately. o_O

Totti is probably going to be banned for 3 matches, so that he can play in the semifinals if italy will be able to reach them.

Deepak said:
BTW, why do only english fans indulge in hooliganism?? :rolleyes:
First, English people who indulge in Hooliganism are not English Fans - they are not supporting their team. They are just morons plain and simple.

Second, the clashes last night with police occured between 200 fans from different nationalities, not just England. Out of those only 12 were charged with any offences, with 3 of those being later released. The judge (who charged some supporters) said that, "One fan with a French flag had urged others to throw glasses and bottles at police." Russian and Portugese were also charged.

Whilst I'm not making any excuses for the behaviour of the idiots concerned I do think the English get more press attention because of their reputation. It wasn't just us and the people concerned are a tiny, tiny minority of the English fans who are in Portugal.

Third, Albufeira (were the trouble occured) is 250 Km from the nearest stadium England are playing at, indicating that these people weren't fans at all but more likely drunken tourists. Whatever the case they are an embarassment to our country and I hope they are dealt with severley and their passports burnt.

Back