Dave Orton Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he confident X800 parts will be available to the consumers before his competitor's offerings?

1) Why haven't they been able to translate success with the R300 core into the workstation market (i.e., are they still having problems with OGL drivers)?

2) Why haven't they done more with respect to their IXP (southbridge) problems? Nvidia is showing clear leadership with nForce3 250G and probably just a matter of time before they get an Intel bus license.

3) Will we finally see PCI-Express design win announcements once Grantsdale is launched? The native vs bridge solution debate is getting long-in-the tooth.

4) Will they only support PS 3.0 with R500... and what is the likelihood of a Fall refresh?

1) Will the X800's finally support multi-monitor gaming (for titles like X2, etc)?

2) Are there plans for a dual-DVI X800?

ATI's mantra for the past few years has been to demonstrate technology leadership in the high-end PC arena, and then leverage that leadership from a marketing perspective as you drive the technolgies down into the mainstream PC market, and further into the consumer electronics market (hand-helds, set-top, etc.)

Do you see this strategy changing any time soon?

{Sniping}Waste said:
Will they support more then 2 monitors like Matrox ( like 3 to 4 at the same time)?

FYI: they already doing that. All you need is an 9100 IGP-based mobo.

Edit:

mavis said:
1) Will the X800's finally support multi-monitor gaming (for titles like X2, etc)?

On two monitors IMO my 9700 can do that - if the game sports this function (IIRC I saw SSam w/ 2 CRTs once...)

T2k said:
mavis said:

On two monitors IMO my 9700 can do that - if the game sports this function (IIRC I saw SSam w/ 2 CRTs once...)

I'd love to have YOUR 9700Pro then, because I can't run my games on both monitors with mine ... ;)

DaveBaumann said:
I'll be talking to Godfrey Chung, who runs the video / consumer group, about AIW separately. Not sure if they'll be ready to talk about anything yet. Rest assured I know there is a R420 AIW product coming and I believe it should have advancements from current AIW products.

excellent info :)

this is why I love this place :D usually the first to know about things like this...

I'm sorry for my bad english language :cry:

1. Why the ATI's down market products are less competitive than the NVIDIA products (in general rules) ?

2. ATI or ATi (without capital letter) ?

3. Do you increase your FSAA quality ?

4. Do you increase your AF quality ?

5. Is it possible that a new real interesting technology (revolutionary !) appear before long ?

6. What about Linux drivers ?

7. What do you think about various Radeon mods (AIW Radeon 9800 SE --> AIW Radeon 9800 Pro or Radeon 9500 128 MB --> Radeon 9700) ?

8. Do you think XGI or S3 will be a serious competitor in 2005 or later ?

9. You have more and more responsabilities, and Kwok Yuen Ho less and less... Do you think KY.Ho will retire soon ?

10. Which is team works on Nintendo/Microsoft chips ?

11. Can you give us the differents market shares in America, Europe and Asia ?

12. What do you think about the NVIDIA optimized games as Unreal and others Epic's games ?

13. Are you always a good quaterback ?

14. A word about your SGI experience (or experiment, I don't know what is the best word to describe that...) ?

15. Your professionals products have less success than Quadro cards. Is it possible ATI launch an intersting FireGl around the world ?

16. Who is the more stronger ? The elephant or rhinoceros ?

here's another question for Dave Orton:

how much of Lockheed Martin's former Real3D division was acquired by ATi - half of it or more ? Do you feel that, with what you did acquire of Real3D has benifited ATI anything close to what the acquisition of ArtX has?

plus one more, just for fun:

what sort of real-time graphics would you say could be achived if you used the full parallel capability / potential of R3xx, which was said to be upto 256 VPUs. :oops:

Megadrive1988 said:
what sort of real-time graphics would you say could be achived if you used the full parallel capability of R3xx, which was said to be 256 VPUs. :oops:
Mmmm I completely forgot about that...would be nice to see a box using those. Although then it could be a little more like a cube...and then well *insert cheesy Star Trek joke here* hehe I want one...

Will there be support for multiple cards (SLI) with PCI-Express?

Will there be graphics-cards working together with sound-cards for 3d audio (PCI-Express again)?

Thanks a lot!

Vadi

Mmmm I completely forgot about that...would be nice to see a box using those. Although then it could be a little more like a cube...and then well *insert cheesy Star Trek joke here* hehe I want one...

So far, Silicon Graphics Inc is using the most R3xx VPUs of any other company, in its new Onyx4 UltimateVision systems, which can use upto 32 VPUs, possibly more later.

next in line, for most R3xx parallel usage, would be Evans & Sutherland, I believe.

Oh, one more, which is the most important.

Can you ensure that in the future, starting with R420-based cards, that Beyond3D gets two of each card, one for me (Dave) and one for Reverend?

8) :LOL:

Question 1

CPU speed increases have stagnated over the past 18 months, while GPU's continue to have large performance increases each generation. Will future graphics cards become more and more CPU bound and if so what can be done to fix that problem?

Question 2

CPU performance increases seem to have reached a point of diminishing returns with less speed bumps over the past 18 months. Will GPUs suffer from these same diminishing returns at some point in the future and if so how far off is this problem?

I'm for silent computing. So I've these questions:

(1) AMD has introduced Cool&Quiet for their desktop CPUs. Is ATI thinking about moving some laptop power/heat saving technology into the desktop products, as well? E.g. I'd like to see a clocked down core in 2D operation.

(2) The GPU fan should adjust its speed to the temperature of the GPU. So in 2D we could get along with a slow fan speed.

(3) Perhaps ATI can officially release a special variant of the top chip (e.g. R420) with low frequencies and extra low power/heat?

What is his fravourite computer game of all time?
What game(s) are/is he playing atm?
What game(s) are/is he looking forward too in the coming months?
If he seems to be a gamer:
What game has he wasted the largest % of his productive life on? :)

As the Linux user base grows, will you widen the support for the platform or is it still too small to be bothered? Is it not seen as platform where further driver development is profitable enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back