Dave Orton Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlphaWolf said:
Ask him about X800AIW.
Will it have significant new features?

following on from this is the next-gen AIW expected to have HDTV capability built-in through the entire lineup and is there a liklihood of dual-dvi for the AIW series anytime soon ?

I'll be talking to Godfrey Chung, who runs the video / consumer group, about AIW separately. Not sure if they'll be ready to talk about anything yet. Rest assured I know there is a R420 AIW product coming and I believe it should have advancements from current AIW products.

R 600 should be at theorical design stage if not done already. What is the goal for that chip? Same philosophy than for R300 ?

Oh and from a commercial point of view, why ATI seems to be so shy in europe? Why dont we have the same upgrade program than north america customers for exemple ?

orton:
Linux support not as good as NV, when will they catch up on ease of installation and when will features for linux catch up to features on windows.

aiw:
How much pressure has ati been under to improve/add DRM control to its products. Will features be implemented in hardware or software? *cough* any chance of disabling such features *cough*

later,
epic

ask him if he can give us some X800 bench ;)

More seriously, can he tell us how are divided the engineers for the XBX 2, GC 2, GPU parts? Does he think that the console contracts will have some impact on the GPUs schedule? Or does he think he has enough manpower?

What is for him the next big advancement in 3D technology?

I would love to ask him what ATI's plans are regarding Linux support, and how soon we can expect their abysmal binary drivers to improve (at least to a level comparable to nvidia's, hopefully beyond -- specifically on stability, performance, and future-looking kernel support).

Also, ask him to comment on their highly competitive relationship with nVidia, and whether he feels things have gone too far at times, or whether it's a healthy competition driving innovation forward.

1. Why was the f-buffer never exposed in the drivers? Apparently the application needed to be aware of it for it to work. While not exposing it in DirectX is understandable it should be easy to do in OpenGL. As a sidenote, the PS2b profile seems like it could be implemented with a f-buffer approach, could the R350 support PS2b?

2. Does he think the professional market, i.e pre visualisation and rendering acceleration for films and broadcasting, will be important going forward? If so, how does that impact ATIs development of better linux and OpenGL drivers?

3. Should we get our hopes up for proper shadow map percentage closer filtering in future products from ATI?

Have ATI ever concidered creating a back-end profile for Cg ?

When will we see UK prices reflect $ prices, i.e. stop ripping off the UK!

What are the Big Issues facing ATI, and others, in trying to develop the next gen hardware ? Can all the heat/power/size problems be solved just by changing process ?

Does ATI see a unified PS/VS architecture a better implementation for SM 3.0 and why, and, if not, is it planned in future?

Do you think that API and hardware evolution has either stabilized or offered enough flexibility so that early adoption of technology still allows for a large measure of "future proofness"?

(Meaning that newly introduced features will still produce adequate performance when they are extensively implemented and are not superceded by another feature set change before being adopted.)

Do you believe it is possible to lessen the growth in the need for heat dissipation and wattage so that they don't become serious limiters of performance growth?

Well according to "those" ATI slides, they seem to be moving towards unification.
Starting from which GPU are we gonna see unified shader hardware?

A rather long question (or two) whether there are any plans to introduce an IP licensing scheme for the PDA/mobile market (see NVIDIA/AR10), how does he see ATI's position today in that market segment and what are his evaluations for future prospects for it for the foreseeable future.

Ailuros said:
A rather long question (or two) whether there are any plans to introduce an IP licensing scheme for the PDA/mobile market (see NVIDIA/AR10), how does he see ATI's position today in that market segment and what are his evaluations for future prospects for it for the foreseeable future.

They do have an IP licensing scheme with Microsoft. I suspect that as they are ready to licence IP, they would do that on any market they see an advantage.

You clearly have to press him on those leaked slides, and the slightly embarrassing comments contained within :D

How soon does ATI expect to have a PS3.0 card ready and how long will it be before cards on the market can run Ps3.0 at useable frame rates (including Nvidia).

Well, he's not going to answer detailed questions on announced products but one could ask him to elaborate on the deals ATI have with Nintendo and M$ respectively.

Depending on the answer he gives one could try to pry some more info out of him by commenting that there have been hints that the ATI/Nintendo deal is for a next gen console part. We already know what the ATI/M$ deal is about.

Also, I'm not really sure he's the right guy to ask but with all this talk about video editing being supported on the new gfx cards I was wondering if some of these gfx chip manufactures won't do some Photoshop accelleration soon. You should at least be able to do previews with these cards. A lot of people would be interested in something like that.

There were a couple of other ASK Dave O threads. Killed them...here are the relvent Qs asked in the other threads:

Sabastian said:
What exactly did they do with the R400 flag ship core ? Was it ported to be used as the bases of teh Xbox2 GPU?

Megadrive1988 said:
Mr. Orton,

when is R500 coming, what is the Xbox 2 graphics processor based on, does it have embedded memory.

what is the Nintendo N5 / GCNext graphics processor based on--or is it completely built-for-Nintendo, like Flipper, and RCP before it were.

{Sniping}Waste said:
Will he change how things are done now or keep things the same?
Will the Radeon class of cards will have dual DVI?
Will they support more then 2 monitors like Matrox ( like 3 to 4 at the same time)?

agreed with rev about the power issues .
q.What are the target power requirements for the lower end versions of the r420's ?

-dave-

great time for my new pc to be a chenbro hornet with it's 270w psu :( . no nv40 fun for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back