Good horror movies

ZebMacahan

Regular
Newcomer
There´s a lot of horror movies out there, and many of them are dime a dozen. What are your tips on good horror movies? Here are some of mine that comes to mind.

The Void. The best lovecraft inspired movie I´ve seen. It captures the madness and nightmare of cosmic horror Lovecraft tried to create but never quite succeded with in my opinion.

Guillermo del Toros cabinet of curiosities. Some episodes are great, like the first one. While others like pickmans model were crappy. Not too scary or unsettling, but good and entertaining. Most of them lovecraft inspired or adaptations.

Autopsy of Jane Doe.

Atterados (english title Terrified). Great argentinian horror movie which very unsettling at times.

I'll name the ones I'd most like to see again. That's all still mainstream compared to giallos where there is also a lot to see.

Psycho
The Birds
The Wicker Man
The Exorcist
Rosemarys Baby
The Thing
Alien
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Multiple Halloween movies
The Shining
Dawn of the Dead
Seven
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
World War Z
Train To Busan
Life
Bones and All
The Menu
Smile

Last edited:
"The Witch" (or VVitch) and "The Dark and the Wicked" are two of my favourite recent horror movies. Both crushingly oppressive and woefully bleak. That said, I'm English, so such an atmosphere feels familiar and cosy.

I don't know either of them yet. I'll add them to my movie rental list.

Groovy. I'd recommend The Witch more strongly - it's realised and executed perfectly. The Dark and the Wicked is a bit more divisive and certainly has some weak moments.

Similar to Army of darkness, the Ginger' snap series mixes a horror background with Tales from the crypt's humor
I watched the first couple of those when I was very young. Loved them.

30 days of night is an awesome vampire movie.

I re-watched the re-animator quite recently, and its freaking awesome as well. I suppose horror-farce would describe it pretty good. Just like the book the end isnt as good as the rest of if.

Hereditary should be on anyone's list. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend a watch.

Happened upon an older film called Below when looking for submarine movies. Best enjoyed without spoilers.

The Void. The best lovecraft inspired movie I´ve seen. It captures the madness and nightmare of cosmic horror Lovecraft tried to create but never quite succeded with in my opinion.
I loved this movie, modern horror movies have been really sub par in general and this reinforced how practical effects are still king for horror.

On a related note if you havn't seen color out of space with nic cage it's another lovecraftian movie, not as good as the void but still worth a look if your into the genre.

On a side note continuing with mr cage lol if you want something that you will finish and ask yourself wtf you just watched maybe check out mandy aswell.

I loved this movie, modern horror movies have been really sub par in general and this reinforced how practical effects are still king for horror.

On a related note if you havn't seen color out of space with nic cage it's another lovecraftian movie, not as good as the void but still worth a look if your into the genre.

On a side note continuing with mr cage lol if you want something that you will finish and ask yourself wtf you just watched maybe check out mandy aswell.

I saw it a while back. It didnt quite live up the quality of the void like you say. I hope we get to see more Lovecraft in the future. I shame del torros mountains of madness movie didnt happen.

Talk To Me was surprisingly good, especially since it was the director(s) first movie after a career on YouTube? Really well done.

Talk To Me is pretty good!

Really enjoyed it. Interesting premise, well executed creepiness, and a fantastic performance from the lead.

Not only her perfect delivery of "he likes you" when even her body language changed, but also the fact that the entire resonance of the film revolves around a sympathetic girl missing her mum - and she really nails it.

Back