New Qualcomm silicon for new Surface May 2024

It's the most commonly used GUI frontend for x264. Apple has submitted patches to it (for x265, instead of submitting it upstream because Apple).

It's the most commonly used GUI frontend for x264. Apple has submitted patches to it (for x265, instead of submitting it upstream because Apple).
Why anyone would use h264 instead of h265 is beyond me, unless they use old obsolete tech but even intel atom processors from 8 years ago can decode it with less than 6 watts total system power consumption

Why anyone would use h264 instead of h265 is beyond me, unless they use old obsolete tech but even intel atom processors from 8 years ago can decode it with less than 6 watts total system power consumption
Because the world is full of devices without hardware h.265 decode.
Don't let the forum bubble fool you

But these are not typical uses.
But Windows on Arm gives me these options, iPad "Pro" doesn't.

I can record with DVBViewer (http://dvbviewer.com/en/index.php?page=home) movies/tv shows on Cable TV and encode them to smaller size with Handbrake (and remove Commercial breaks with Avidemux (x64)) and watch them everywhere. And with iTunes I can watch them on my Apple TV4K.

Do I have these options on my Mac Mini M2? Possible, but I hate its windows management.

This fan sound, it's like Ferrari vs. Tesla.

One of my friends insisted on watching videos on his TV; he would download them on his PC, re-encode them, then transfer to USB, then plug the USB stick into the TV and then try and play the file.
It was his way of doing it and he felt really smart doing it as well.

When I showed him he could install kodi on his TV and play every file he ever downloaded directly on his TV, wirelessly from his nas, he felt like a big idiot

I'm not sure what people expected gaming-wise from the Qualcomm Elite X when the Adreno GPU only delivers 4.6 TFlops.

I'm more interested in the level of compatibility seen with games, given it's not some GPU powerhouse. The article was a pretty weak exploration of that. Hopefully DF or similar have a good crack at it.

I'm not sure what people expected gaming-wise from the Qualcomm Elite X when the Adreno GPU only delivers 4.6 TFlops.
Not only that, it's a totally new architecture for windows.
Intel had igpu for decades, switched to arc and we saw how smooth that went, especially for gaming.
I'm not saying it should be used as a good benchmark, just that it's probably the hardest part and all the marketing/focus has been all arm for obvious reasons.

Has anyone actually mentioned we now have another (i)gpu competitor 😅

Reviews of the Surface Pro 11 and Surface Laptop 7:

The good​

• Solidly built hardware with very good performance
  • Nice keyboards, trackpads, and screens
  • Windows on Arm compatibility and emulation speed has improved a lot over the last two years
  • Many linchpin Windows apps, including Google Chrome, are already Arm-native; more are coming later
  • Surprisingly decent game compatibility if your game isn't using anti-cheat software
  • Fan noise is unobtrusive and relatively rare
  • Solid battery life

The bad​

• AI features are superfluous
  • Some Surface Pro keyboard accessories are expensive
  • Some upgrades (like the OLED screen for the Surface Pro) can only be bought if you pay for other unrelated processor and storage upgrades
  • Grainy Surface Pro OLED screen

The ugly​

• Some enduring compatibility problems that can only be solved by Arm-native versions of apps written for regular Intel and AMD PCs

• Windows on Arm compatibility and emulation speed has improved a lot over the last two years
How can they conclude that when the review only includes Geekbench, 3DMark Wild Life, GFXBench, and Handbrake? 😅

Adobe runs very bad despite already being ported for Aarch64. It should at least be competitive with the passively cooled MacBook Air with only 4 High Performance cores and 4 High Efficiency cores, especially considering the M1 only has access to 68GB/s memory bandwidth and the M2/M3 only 100GB/s memory bandwidth. The Qualcomm X Elite should have 136GB/s memory bandwidth.

LightroomClassisHDRMerge.jpg
LightroomClassicPreview1K.jpg
LightroomClassicPanorama.jpg
LightroomCCExport1K.jpg
AINoiseReduction.jpg

Back