PS5 Pro *spawn

It looks like Sony won't drop price so PS5 Pro is $599 and PS5 is $499.

And PS3 is $499 for smaller HDD.
PS5 is $449 at the moment so max for the pro is $549, but they'll eventually drop the price to $399 and $499. PS3 launched at around $600 iirc, the cheaper models came out much later on. They got really burnt that time.

It looks like Sony won't drop price so PS5 Pro is $599 and PS5 is $499.

And PS3 is $499 for smaller HDD.
The suits can say whethever they want, but PS5 is constantly on sale. For example Amazon Italy is giving it away for 466€ right now, it's always discounted. I would expect a 100€\$ price cut when the pro releases.

It would be hard to understand it at 6nm, especially if the design is as modern as reported. Really has to be a smaller node.

It would be hard to understand it at 6nm, especially if the design is as modern as reported. Really has to be a smaller node.
If they want it to be as cheap as possible to manufacture it has to be on 6nm. The day one PS5 heatsink could take an additional 50-80 watts with a little more fan noise.

The suits can say whethever they want, but PS5 is constantly on sale. For example Amazon Italy is giving it away for 466€ right now, it's always discounted. I would expect a 100€\$ price cut when the pro releases.
They want to retain that ability to put on "sales".

Yea, the PS5 Slim pricing as originally announced sounded awful, especially after the OG PS5 had gone on discount all over the place prior to its release, but the Slim has been on sale quite a bit as well recently, so it feels like a price drop in all but name.

Given the disappointing specs and all for PS5 Pro, I'm thinking it will have room to be a bit more reasonably priced than I was initially expecting. Really thought we'd get something more exciting than this. I guess the biggest selling point will probably be better image quality in 60fps Performance modes, which is something many haven't been happy with so far. And maybe more ray tracing options at 60fps as well, but that's pretty meh.

PS5 is $449 at the moment so max for the pro is $549, but they'll eventually drop the price to $399 and $499. PS3 launched at around $600 iirc, the cheaper models came out much later on. They got really burnt that time.

If they want it to be as cheap as possible to manufacture it has to be on 6nm. The day one PS5 heatsink could take an additional 50-80 watts with a little more fan noise.
Sony wants more profit from hardware so PS5 price likely stays the same.
And N4P cost can be offset by much reduced heatsink.

I'm trying to figure out where they're getting 2-3x RT performance (And the leak stated up to 4x in some situations) over base PS5 from.

The 2x is pretty easy as that will just come from the additional RT units plus the extra clock speed.

36 RT units vs 60 RT units and variable 2.23Ghz vs 2.45Ghz (based on INT8 TOPS number)

Looking at this chart from Guru3D's review of the 7700XT with 3D Mark and comparing to the 6650XT (which is the closest desktop GPU to base PS5 in terms of specs and Tflops) the 7700XT is ~1.86x faster

View attachment 11010
The 2/3x faster comment, if using the above chart as a reference (and the 6650XT representing base PS5) would mean PS5 Pro would be between the 6900XT and 4070ti.

And the comment about it sometimes being 4x faster than PS5 at RT would put it above the RTX 4080 which I just don't see.

The jump in RT performance doesn't reflect and corollate with the jump in raster performance - 1.5x in raster but 2/3x in RT??? Doesn't make much sense.

I seriously doubt they've changed anything at the architectural level due to time and cost.

Could PS5 Pro have a fixed clock rate? And the quoted 2/3x RT performance increase, depends on what clock rate PS5 drops down too? The lower the GPU clock rate on base PS5 the closer to the 3x improvement PS5 Pro gets too?

The 4070 is roughly a match for it in terms of raster, but looking at Techpowerups review of the 7700XT the 4070 is ~30% faster in RT workloads

If you also look at the ray tracing chart in the Techpowerup review of the 7700XT, it is ~2x faster than the 6600XT at 1440p, but closer to 3x at 4k.

So is it simply of a case of the higher the resolution your game, the closer PS5 Pro gets to being 3x faster at RT?

There is a chance that PS5 Pro could be able to do CP2077 with path tracing at 1080p30fps with their new ML upscaling to 4k.

So yea, the machine is pretty boring specs wise, only the RT claims are a bit of a mystery about how they're getting these increase figures.
I believe there will be some architectural improvements to the way RT is handled but they won't be anything major. I suspect @Albuquerque could be right WRT performance fudging using AI. I think another possibility is some extremely rare corner case where these small tweaks combined with the wider GPU do offer up a 4x increase. I also still fully believe these performance claims are talking about RT processing specifically and not actual game performance. I suspect final performance will range between 40% and 80% over a base PS5.

I believe there will be some architectural improvements to the way RT is handled but they won't be anything major. I suspect @Albuquerque could be right WRT performance fudging using AI. I think another possibility is some extremely rare corner case where these small tweaks combined with the wider GPU do offer up a 4x increase. I also still fully believe these performance claims are talking about RT processing specifically and not actual game performance. I suspect final performance will range between 40% and 80% over a base PS5.
Kepler seems quite impressed with the PS5 Pro RDNA4 RT specs so far. He compares them to Lovelace in some areas.

Reactions: snc
Kepler seems quite impressed with the PS5 Pro RDNA4 RT specs so far. He compares them to Lovelace in some areas.
Reminds me of the noise made around the Series X ray-box and ray-tri peaks, and how these values supersede NVIDIA GPUs, we all know how that turned out in the end.

images-10.jpg

Xbox Series X console ray tracing acceleration performance is estimated at a 380G/sec ray-box peak and 96G/sec ray-tri peak

Reminds me of the noise made around the Series X ray-box and ray-tri peaks, and how these values supersede NVIDIA GPUs, we all know how that turned out in the end.

The toolswere the issue, not the hardware.

Seriously, Sony's gaming hardware is typically in better situation to be utilize more efficiently and effectively by its first-party developers. Third-party developers will simply use the Pro for higher framerates and higher resolution purposes.

Seeing as the PS5 Pro was delivered to their internal teams in September of last year, we're going to see nice improvements to many of their current first-part titles. I would love to see the inevitable three-way comparisons between PS5, Pro, and PC of Spidey, Horizon, TLoU, RC, and other Sony multiplatform titles.

Seems very likely. It can't be a coincidence that AMD are ready to start talking about their solution coming for the end of this year.. at the same time as the PS5 Pro is expected to launch.

Once Sony officially announces the Pro and what its capabilities are, I'm sure AMD will be able to finally speak about their implementation.
It would probably be a pretty smart PR move too. Linking the AMD upscaling solution with one of the biggest and most loved gaming brands on the planet.

The oddest thing for me is the variable clock speeds. 3 years later and to get 3.85GHz on the CPU they need variable clock speeds? Its quite odd considering the Series X has locked 3.8GHz CPU since 2020. Could be a very high GPU clockspeed?

The oddest thing for me is the variable clock speeds. 3 years later and to get 3.85GHz on the CPU they need variable clock speeds? Its quite odd considering the Series X has locked 3.8GHz CPU since 2020. Could be a very high GPU clockspeed?
I would guess that high clocked GPU saps their power budget.

This is the guy that said rdba 3 will be more efficient than ada and beat it in raster.. lol dn't trust this guy he just scavenger in gifthub looking for leaks.. amd teraflops and rt teraflops are not equal to nvidia because different architecture

As someone who follows the PC space closely, AMD next gen rumors are always way too optimistic and never pan out so keep that in mind.

This is not AMD rumors. This is not marketing. This is dev documentation. The dual issue fp32 number is not from the documentation for example. This is the MLID calculation. The only rasterization number we have is 45%.

Last edited:
Back