Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
To accelerate its foliage and alpha tested geometry Horizon Forbidden West implements a novel loosely tiled deferred texturing system. A visibility buffer is drawn as a pre-pass followed by analysis and shading steps which run entirely in compute shaders. The use of compute shaders also provides extra flexibility that allows for the implementation of a software variable rate shading solution. Due to being able to run on the compute pipes on PS4 and PS5 it is able to overlap both the G-Buffer rendering and the rendering of cascaded shadow maps meaning that analysis and shading typically have very little overhead. This presentation will describe details of the system, and the optimizations and design choices made to integrate it into the Decima engine.

Looks like they cooked up some very neat tech for Horizon: FW :smile:

This sounds to me like:
  1. Vis buffer pass (using vertex or primitive shaders for PS4/PS5) (raster)
  2. Analysis (compute) + Tiled GBuffer (compute) + shadows (raster) in async
  3. Tiled lighting with software vrs (compute)
That's gonna be an interesting talk!

Last edited:
It looks good. However the fake rim lighting on every character makes them look really odd.

Thats because the above video is using parts and bits from the initial trailer, the rest is new trailer footage. The final game doesnt have these added effects.

Horizon Forbidden West's cast is absolutely stacked with new and returning talent.

Ashly Burch is Aloy
Lance Reddick is Sylens
John Macmillan is Varl
John Hopkins is Erend
Noshir Dalal is Kotallo
Carrie-Anne Moss is Tilda
Angela Bassett is Regalla

I'm not trying to start any mess, or be cruel, but Aloy's character design is terrible. I get the aim and reasons towards a more powerful and muscular female design, but her face seems like an amalgamation of artistic ideas that went wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against oversexualize and hypersexualized female designs, but I'm also against the belief that a more feminine design is something awful this day and age. But, whatever...

I'm not trying to start any mess, or be cruel, but Aloy's character design is terrible. I get the aim and reasons towards a more powerful and muscular female design, but her face seems like an amalgamation of artistic ideas that went wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against oversexualize and hypersexualized female designs, but I'm also against the belief that a more feminine design is something awful this day and age. But, whatever...

Idk, she looks like her face model

c1wh107py7a11.jpg

Just without makeup, which makes sense imo.

Horizon Forbidden West's cast is absolutely stacked with new and returning talent.

Ashly Burch is Aloy
Lance Reddick is Sylens
John Macmillan is Varl
John Hopkins is Erend
Noshir Dalal is Kotallo
Carrie-Anne Moss is Tilda
Angela Bassett is Regalla

I had no idea that Aloy was voiced by the tester from Mythic Quest. Mind blown. :oops:

Back