AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me AMD is prolly making a mistake not having Navi 22 go on sale the same day as Navi 21: high-end (not enthusiast) gamers who want to build a 5600X gaming system are going to put RTX 3070 in it because AMD will have nothing at $500. 2+ months of the best sales quarter lost.

What i'm really interested is in the 6800 Non XT with OC it would get to the 2080Ti for 400-450?(if the XT is 500-550). that would be a real killer. About RT If the rumors are true and AMD method is on par with Turing while consuming less performance then it would really be the way to go.

If someone have told me AMD can beat Turing in RT, I would have laugh. I am a console gamer(PS5) and I am happy PS5 and XSX will be good because of AMD progress in CPU and GPU architecture. And the result is more competition is equal to better price for PC gamers, a 3080 at 699 dollars is great or great price for 3070.

Yes we need competition, NV jacked up their prices with turing, now they had to level them. Also good for the consoles yes, at the same time AMD is advancing so fast they more then double the performance of the consoles the day they release for the GPUs. Same for the CPUs zen3 has a huge ipc improvement. AMD is killing it lately.

What i'm really interested is in the 6800 Non XT with OC it would get to the 2080Ti for 400-450?(if the XT is 500-550). that would be a real killer. About RT If the rumors are true and AMD method is on par with Turing while consuming less performance then it would really be the way to go.

I think i want 6900XT, atleast 3080 performance, close enough to 3090. Will last a whole gen with headroom to spare.

It seems to me AMD is prolly making a mistake not having Navi 22 go on sale the same day as Navi 21: high-end (not enthusiast) gamers who want to build a 5600X gaming system are going to put RTX 3070 in it because AMD will have nothing at $500. 2+ months of the best sales quarter lost.
How do we know the 6800 will not be at $500? Unless you mean AMD won't have the volume.

AMD historically had some troubles with launching mid-range cards after the halcyon r300 times (9600 anyone?), later it either severely underperformed (x700, x1600, hd2600, rx550, 5500xt) or came late into the game (x1650, cut-down x800 variants, non-reference polaris SKUs). I'd say only Pitcairn/Cape Verde and Juniper were more or less successful and hugely popular (arguably, rv770 also goes here but it was competing with high-end parts and there's nothing bigger than that)

I think i want 6900XT, atleast 3080 performance, close enough to 3090. Will last a whole gen with headroom to spare.

Well...I would also want that...but my pocket cannot afford it :(

I'd say only Pitcairn/Cape Verde and Juniper were more or less successful and hugely popular (arguably, rv770 also goes here but it was competing with high-end parts and there's nothing bigger than that)

Ahh the good old times...When with 200 bucks you could get a decent performing GPU...I really missed them.

-

I really doubt AMD will try to get market share with the strategy of "Same performance slightly less expensive" Specially because in GPU they still have the "cheap" brand. We know their marketing is shit so I don't think they are nuts enough to rely only in that to sell their products. So I am expecting cheaper prices.(and also does Nvidia)

Well...I would also want that...but my pocket cannot afford it
Ahh the good old times...When with 200 bucks you could get a decent performing GPU...I really missed them.

See, and this is the reason we need competition. I still think prices are way to high for GPUs now, i remember getting a GF3 Ti500 and later 4600Ti, they were the absolute flagships from NV at the time, but i dont remember any of them going for over 500 dollars. Dito for AMDs offerings at the time (9700pro).

I know we see it everywhere, consoles and games get more expensive too. But still, GPUs these days....

Atleast AMD made NV go abit lower in price, its a start.

I think the AMD presentation is going to show the best points and strengths of their new products, just like NV did. Its the specs that will be intresting that day. A week in or so, when DF and others start to compare head to head with Turing and ampere we will know more finally.

Alrighty then! Didn't know that. RT probably wouldn't just work on AMD hardware though right? Needs porting?

It should just work given amd has driver for dxr. Ray tracing uses standard microsoft dxr api. In opengl/vulkan side there is extension made by nvidia. Vulkan side would require multiple parties to have implementation before something can be added into standard.

It should just work given amd has driver for dxr. Ray tracing uses standard microsoft dxr api. In opengl/vulkan side there is extension made by nvidia. Vulkan side would require multiple parties to have implementation before something can be added into standard.

I thought Nvidia uses it's own RT implementation in Minecraft, not DXR?

RT acceleration implementation will be unique to each IHV (AMD, Nvidia, Intel).

I think he was asking about software. Hopefully the "RTX" applications out there are just using DXR and not any proprietary Nvidia stuff that will prevent them from running on AMD.

I don't think "efficiency" is the word you want to use here. Perhaps you mean "lower-powered"?

Efficiency doesn't dictate a power limit. You could have a 5000W graphics card that is more efficient than an Adreno iGPU.
Right, although mainstream graphics cards tend to be more efficient anyway. I would say eficiency is not only perf/watt but also fps/price for someones needs. For example, if RX 6700 XT is close to RTX 2080Ti perf at less than 200W, it should be enough for 1440p, 120fps or more and high quality. To take full advantage of highend RX 6800, RTX 3080 and for those to be efficient, i would say 4K is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back