Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Maybe it's because of ...

Women are more likely to go to the doctor, get checked and tested.
Men are less likely to go to doctor, don't get checked and tested.

Eh, less iron but also less zinc. On vegan diets especially this can lead to deficiency much more easily than for men.

Any way, maybe it's just flu-like disease specific. Women were more seriously affected with swine flu too for instance.

PS. for swine flu pregnant women seemed way over-represented as well, so maybe if you remove those the differences mostly go away. Not a lot of pregnant men.

Last edited:
Shifty and others who think you may have it
See if you can get some ‘Hydroxychloroquine’
This seems to have an effect on fighting it
I have about 150pills x 400mg here, I used to take them for my arthritis, which somehow I am ‘cured’ of for the last 18 months (which is impossible, I know, I would love a doctor to study how this can be)
Anyways I took these for years, amongst others, they are relatively side effect free unlike prednisolone etc

I think you should only use that if you have pneumonia though. And when you do you’re going to want to discuss the dosage with a healthcare professional ... or do some serieus internet research. It does seem that when you do get a pneumonia of the upper lungs then starting as soon as possible with chloroquine is advised but again, I wouldn’t chance it without being in a hospital unless there is no other option.

And god forbid that suddenly regular consumers start stockpiling this and making it unavailable for professional treatment if necessary like the whole face mask debacle.

I used to take them for my arthritis, which somehow I am ‘cured’ of for the last 18 months (which is impossible, I know, I would love a doctor to study how this can be)
[semiot]
I'm assuming you mean rheumatic arthritis since you said it couldn't be cured, and while that's true, people with it can sometimes go years with little to no symptoms even on it's own, and you've been using medication for it, so it shouldn't really be that surprising?
[/semiot]

edit:
Forgot the important part though:
Shifty and others who think you may have it
See if you can get some ‘Hydroxychloroquine’
One should take into account, that hydroxycholoroquine weakens (or suppresses) your immune system slightly

Last edited:
How do I know if I have coronavirus?

that like what i got yesterday. the dry coughs are similar but not as severe (almost completely stopped after around 2 PM) and the temperature down to normal this morning. Glad i watched it today, instead of yesterday.... I think i would get myself panic. Now that video calmed me

Thing is, this is still guesswork. Those two symptoms are the most common ones, but there are plenty of recorded cases where people infected didn't exhibit any of them. If you're ill with symptoms for just a day you might have shrugged it off (you're pretty young, I understand), yet you would still potentially be infectious to others! The study in Italy showing so many were asymptomatic when infected would probably indicate that the illness has several potential symptoms which aren't widely recognised as yet.

I imagine this will all become clearer in the aftermath of the first wave of illness.

In my family, my sister and her family are currently isolating themselves after my brother in law (who I work with) developed the typical dry cough and fever and mild breathlessness. It has been a few days now so hopefully my sister (who I worked with in Monday) doesn't get it too. I'd guess her teenage children will probably shrug it off, if it is coronavirus.

I've had an unusually tight chest for a few weeks now and it gets worse on occasion before easing. I have mild asthma but it's not the same thing. I've also had heart palpitations over the past week, two ocular migraines (normally get one or two a year) and a headache. Woke up dripping with sweat in the night but no temperatur. Is it coronavirus? Probably not, but who knows? Once my brother in law recovers, it would be nice to know if he had actually caught the illness, but no way of getting a test here in the UK, which is just ridiculous.

For me, it's the tightness in the chest that makes me most suspicious. Other illnesses might give a sore throat or chesty cough, but I can feel this thing sitting in the top of the lungs, and that's Covid19 101. Starts in the mucus membranes, goes down to the top of the lungs, from where it may make its way further down.

Given there are lots of coronavirus variations out there already, I wonder if some people have had something similar and their immune system was already somewhat prepared? That is after all how the first inoculation concept came about, using one disease to defend against a tougher relative. And if so, you might find different populations having different resistance based on how this theoretical other coronavirus may have spread.

How do I know if I have coronavirus?
Great, if your symptoms are as black and white as that. Realistically, it seems we're facing contagious people who don't have such pronounced symptoms. there's be people going, "oh, no temperature, and my cough is mild. It's not Covid19 - I'll go see Granny." The science to date shows massive shedding in the first stages of infection, often before symptoms are manifest, in contrast to other disease that are most infectious during the symptoms. Also, infectiousness tends to drop rapidly, so five days after symptoms you're not infectious. 14 days quarantine from the moment you have symptoms doesn't match the typical pattern based on the current science, AFAICS. It's a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted. Without a way to test before symptoms, the thing can't be contained, and so the only way to really stop the spread is every hole up.

I feel at this point, regardless what the government suggests, people are more wanting to hide at home for a month until it's all over! Which would actually work, and probably be more organised overall than this half-way confusion we've got going on.

Great, if your symptoms are as black and white as that. Realistically, it seems we're facing contagious people who don't have such pronounced symptoms. there's be people going, "oh, no temperature, and my cough is mild. It's not Covid19 - I'll go see Granny." The science to date shows massive shedding in the first stages of infection, often before symptoms are manifest, in contrast to other disease that are most infectious during the symptoms. Also, infectiousness tends to drop rapidly, so five days after symptoms you're not infectious. 14 days quarantine from the moment you have symptoms doesn't match the typical pattern based on the current science, AFAICS. It's a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted. Without a way to test before symptoms, the thing can't be contained, and so the only way to really stop the spread is every hole up.

I feel at this point, regardless what the government suggests, people are more wanting to hide at home for a month until it's all over! Which would actually work, and probably be more organised overall than this half-way confusion we've got going on.
It's even worse, even those who never develop any noticeable symptoms spread it if they get it. Of course without coughing it's spread is more limited, but still.

Perusing this dashboard of stats, why are the death and recovery rates so incredibly varied among the European nations? To some extent it'll be whether their health services can cope, but in some cases like the UK, care wasn't overextended for a lot of these cases. And what's happening in the Netherlands and France?

UK - 71 deaths, 65 recovered
Netherlands - 43 deaths, 2 recovered
France - 148 deaths, 12 recovered
Spain - 558 deaths, 1081 recovered
Switzerland - 27 deaths, 15 recovered

A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data
A very good point there actually is random sampling. A decent statistical sampling would give a better insight than only testing those showing symptoms.

It's also worth noting that Italy's almost 10% death rate - which is absolutely insane - is inexplicably much higher than anywhere else. Very strange.

I heard theories that it's in part due to the social realities in Italy, whereby a huge percentage of the population live with their parents until they're much older than in other countries, creating the problems we are seeing today. The spread is much worse, because contact with our older family members is much more frequent than in other countries, making things even worse.

I'm assuming you mean rheumatic arthritis since you said it couldn't be cured, and while that's true, people with it can sometimes go years with little to no symptoms even on it's own, and you've been using medication for it, so it shouldn't really be that surprising?
ive had it 10 years, taking medication all that time, a couple of times before ive stopped taking it and pain comes back very quick like a week or so, eg I cant hold a toothbrush to brush my teeth. about 18months ago, I stopped eating sugar in coffee etc, no dairy, less meat, I stopped taking pills a while later and never needed to again, weird as all the doctors I have seen said I will need medication the rest of my life. I do eat some dairy now, no sugar though, meat maybe once a month. I'm not cured I dont think.
One should take into account, that hydroxycholoroquine weakens (or suppresses) your immune system slightly
Yes this is important, from what I read they say dont take ibuprofen etc

info on hydroxycholoroquine & covid-19.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200317/p2a/00m/0na/026000c
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41421-020-0156-0
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32150618
https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa237/5801998

I'll research more when I get covid-19 but at the moment if the option is doing nothing or taking these pills (which I've had 100s or 1000s over my life already) I think I'll go for option B

this seems promising
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

It's also worth noting that Italy's almost 10% death rate - which is absolutely insane - is inexplicably much higher than anywhere else. Very strange.
The outbreak was very localised, exhausting health-service capacity in those regions instead of distributing the care across the whole nation.

As for living with parents:

upload_2020-3-18_11-54-5.png

And that 25-34 age group possibly gets the disease asymptomatically so wouldn't even know why were infectious to their parents.

ive had it 10 years, taking medication all that time, a couple of times before ive stopped taking it and pain comes back very quick like a week or so, eg I cant hold a toothbrush to brush my teeth. about 18months ago, I stopped eating sugar in coffee etc, no dairy, less meat, I stopped taking pills a while later and never needed to again, weird as all the doctors I have seen said I will need medication the rest of my life. I do eat some dairy now, no sugar though, meat maybe once a month. I'm not cured I dont think.
Yeah, can't be cured based on current knowledge, but also diet can affect it as you've clearly noticed too. The bad part is that apparently how the dietary changes affect one is individual and there's no "magic diet" that would work for everyone to ease the symptoms, great to hear you've found what works for you.
"You'll always need medication" is just doctorese for "we can't cure this with medication"

Back